Bodysocked High Racer

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Blum, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry Pie
    Criterium, held last weekend. :-0

    Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera??

    Inquiring mind want to SEE!!!

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. bikebob

    bikebob New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2003
    Hi Tom,
    If I could figure out how to attach a jpg I could help you out. It was the Mueller boy, I think, on a Volae highracer.
    bob

  3. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    bikebob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tom Blum wrote:
    > > There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry Pie Criterium, held last
    > > weekend. :-0 Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera?? Inquiring mind want to SEE!!! Tom
    >

    > Hi Tom, If I could figure out how to attach a jpg I could help you out. It was the Mueller boy, I
    > think, on a Volae highracer. bob

    You know, the Euros used to race with fabric fairings on their SWB's (but of course those were
    ancient days and there is no comparison between their slow antique bikes and modern high racers ;-)

    Now they mostly seem to race low racers, so that seems to have died out, but at one time they were
    common. I think Peter Ross even sold a commercial version for his bike.

    John Riley

  4. john riley wrote:

    > You know, the Euros used to race with fabric fairings on their SWB's (but of course those were
    > ancient days and there is no comparison between their slow antique bikes and modern high
    > racers ;-)
    >
    > Now they mostly seem to race low racers, so that seems to have died out, but at one time they were
    > common. I think Peter Ross even sold a commercial version for his bike.

    There's still a few fabric fairings around in the UK - mostly in the Ladies' class for no readily
    apparent reason. 2003 champ Claire King used one for most of the season. And in The Netherlands, Ton
    Valk has been campaigning the same one for years - the material used make it look like a giant
    Ortlieb pannier :)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. martinbs

    martinbs New Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2003
    There are photos on
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bacchetta_Bikes/. Look for the Cherry Pie album. Socked rider is Mark Mueller.

    Martin

  6. bikebob you can go to the following photo posting website:
    http://www.fotki.com/ and setup a FREE account and then post the link here
    for people to see any of your pictures. I've got a few of my pictures posted
    there; at the following link: http://public.fotki.com/EZ-Biker/
    EZ (Sho me the pictures) Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "bikebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Tom, If I could figure out how to attach a jpg I could help you out. It was the Mueller boy, I
    > think, on a Volae highracer. bob
    >

    > --

  7. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s01>...
    > bikebob you can go to the following photo posting website: http://www.fotki.com/ and setup a FREE
    > account and then post the link here for people to see any of your pictures.

    Point taken, but FWIW when I went there, one of the randomly generated galleries on the front
    page was porn!

    John Riley

  8. Martin, in order to access the photos at Yahoo site you will need to join that particular group.

    Re: John Riley's response, (My suggested website contains PORN) it;s really hard (No pun intended
    here...) not to find PORN in almost everything on the net. If it's offensive to you, can file a
    formal complaint with Fotki. I was merely suggesting a photo site where one can post photos and then
    offer a direct link to them for others to view here in a.r.b.r. and it's a FREE service. EZ Biker

    "martinbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Cherry Pie album. Socked rider is Mark Mueller.
    >
    > Martin
    >

    > --

  9. Martin, in order to access the photos at Yahoo site you will need to join that particular group.

    Re: John Riley's response, (My suggested website contains PORN) it;s really hard (No pun intended
    here...) not to find PORN in almost everything on the net. If it's offensive to you, can file a
    formal complaint with Fotki. I was merely suggesting a photo site where one can post photos and then
    offer a direct link to them for others to view here in a.r.b.r. and it's a FREE service. EZ Biker
    :) Pompano Beach, Fl. Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "martinbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Cherry Pie album. Socked rider is Mark Mueller.
    >
    > Martin
    >

    > --

  10. martinbs

    martinbs New Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2003

  11. Mike Schwab

    Mike Schwab Guest

    I belong to several groups. The owners or moderators can set various features read only without
    joining the group. One group I am in cannot access the member list even after joining. I think
    joining is required before you can do any posting.

    martinbs wrote:

    > Originally posted by Ez Biker :-\) Martin, in order to access the photos at Yahoo site you will
    > need to join that particular group.
    >
    > Ken, I posted those photos and figured that anyone who wanted to see them could join the group
    > temporarily. No I wasn't trying to recruit for the Bacchetta group but I am also an enthusiastic
    > Aero rider. (5'9" height also.)
    >
    > Martin
    >
    > --

  12. bikebob

    bikebob New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2003
    try this

  13. bikebob

    bikebob New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2003
  14. Re: No I wasn't trying to recruit for the Bacchetta group... HECK, I am!!!!!!! All the time!!! ;-)
    <Grin> Martin I just thought posting photos at the photo site I listed would be an easy way for
    everyone to see them.

    SO, how do you like that Aero??? I'm 5' 9" as well and have the standard frame and it fits me
    perfectly. To see a pict. of it (My Holiday greeting card actually...) go to: the following link:
    http://tinyurl.com/37jrk EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "martinbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Ken, I posted those photos and figured that anyone who wanted to see them could join the group
    > temporarily. No I wasn't trying to recruit for the Bacchetta group but I am also an enthusiastic
    > Aero rider. (5'9" height also.)
    >
    > Martin
    >

    > --

  15. martinbs

    martinbs New Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2003

  16. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    I have now seen the pictures of the body socked High Racer. Thanks to all who referred me
    to the site.

    My question to someone who has ridden one is Are the aero advantages obvious, even though the
    bottom is wide open???

    I tried a tailbox on my low racer, but couldn't discern any gain. I hate to waste time and money on
    a dead end.

    I am not in the +20 mph club as yet. Cruising at 18 or so seems to be my sustainable limit.

    Tom "bikebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Blum wrote:
    > > There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry
    Pie
    > > Criterium, held last weekend. :-0 Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera?? Inquiring mind
    > > want to SEE!!! Tom
    >
    > albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4181294&a=3198260&p=668687- 26try this
    >

    > --

  17. Re: ...really foul up the aerodynamics...

    Martin, not when used as a parade float... ;-) <Grin> EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta
    Aero {Parade} Float Pilot)

    "martinbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I did take a look at you with your Christmas Aero. Looks great but must really foul up the
    > aerodynamics.

  18. Wheel Doctor

    Wheel Doctor Guest

    Tom, This is a Mark Meuller creation that was present at the Cherry Pie Crit. Mark can answer your
    question and has on the Bacchetta Yahoo Group. This sock may be available soon for SWB's. You also
    could go to windwrap.com and ask Mark

    Jude

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have now seen the pictures of the body socked High Racer. Thanks to all who referred me to
    > the site.
    >
    > My question to someone who has ridden one is Are the aero advantages obvious, even though the
    > bottom is wide open???
    >
    > I tried a tailbox on my low racer, but couldn't discern any gain. I hate
    > waste time and money on a dead end.
    >
    > I am not in the +20 mph club as yet. Cruising at 18 or so seems to be my sustainable limit.
    >
    > Tom "bikebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Tom Blum wrote:
    > > > There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry
    > Pie
    > > > Criterium, held last weekend. :-0 Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera?? Inquiring mind
    > > > want to SEE!!! Tom
    > >
    > > albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4181294&a=3198260&p=668687- 26try this
    > >

    > > --

  19. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Tom,

    Mark let me ride his briefly after the Cherry Pie crit. Yep, it's faster. Probably 1-2 MPH or more
    for a crit course like Mark says. Obviously no help while riding hills under 10 mph or so. Vision is
    parly obstructed for 20 feet ahead, but not as bad as you might think. I plan to get one.

    Regards, Derek

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message .

    > My question to someone who has ridden one is Are the aero advantages obvious, even though the
    > bottom is wide open???

  20. Edd Brady

    Edd Brady Guest

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message .........
    > I tried a tailbox on my low racer, but couldn't discern any gain. I hate to waste time and money
    > on a dead end.
    >
    > I am not in the +20 mph club as yet. Cruising at 18 or so seems to be my sustainable limit.

    The fairing only helps at high speed. I bought the Optima Low Baron that Sam Whittingham
    raced at the 2001 World Championships in Brighton, England. The factory tail fairing does
    make a measureable difference above 25 MPH (1 to 2 MPH, and that's without proper fitment
    to my torso). The slower I go, the less difference it makes. By 16 MPH, I'm at the same
    heartrate and speed on either my unfaired P-38 (60 degree seat angle) or my faired low
    Baron with 20 degree seat angle.

    enjoy the ride,

    Edd