Bodysocked High Racer



T

Tom Blum

Guest
There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry Pie
Criterium, held last weekend. :-0

Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera??

Inquiring mind want to SEE!!!

Tom
 

bikebob

New Member
Dec 3, 2003
15
0
0
Originally posted by Tom Blum
There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry Pie
Criterium, held last weekend. :-0

Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera??

Inquiring mind want to SEE!!!

Tom
Hi Tom,
If I could figure out how to attach a jpg I could help you out. It was the Mueller boy, I think, on a Volae highracer.
bob
 
J

John Riley

Guest
bikebob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tom Blum wrote:
> > There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry Pie Criterium, held last
> > weekend. :-0 Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera?? Inquiring mind want to SEE!!! Tom
>
>
> Hi Tom, If I could figure out how to attach a jpg I could help you out. It was the Mueller boy, I
> think, on a Volae highracer. bob

You know, the Euros used to race with fabric fairings on their SWB's (but of course those were
ancient days and there is no comparison between their slow antique bikes and modern high racers ;-)

Now they mostly seem to race low racers, so that seems to have died out, but at one time they were
common. I think Peter Ross even sold a commercial version for his bike.

John Riley
 
D

Dave Larrington

Guest
john riley wrote:

> You know, the Euros used to race with fabric fairings on their SWB's (but of course those were
> ancient days and there is no comparison between their slow antique bikes and modern high
> racers ;-)
>
> Now they mostly seem to race low racers, so that seems to have died out, but at one time they were
> common. I think Peter Ross even sold a commercial version for his bike.

There's still a few fabric fairings around in the UK - mostly in the Ladies' class for no readily
apparent reason. 2003 champ Claire King used one for most of the season. And in The Netherlands, Ton
Valk has been campaigning the same one for years - the material used make it look like a giant
Ortlieb pannier :)

--

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================
 
E

Ez Biker :-\)

Guest
bikebob you can go to the following photo posting website:
http://www.fotki.com/ and setup a FREE account and then post the link here
for people to see any of your pictures. I've got a few of my pictures posted
there; at the following link: http://public.fotki.com/EZ-Biker/
EZ (Sho me the pictures) Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"bikebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Tom, If I could figure out how to attach a jpg I could help you out. It was the Mueller boy, I
> think, on a Volae highracer. bob
>
>
>
> --
 
J

John Riley

Guest
"EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s01>...
> bikebob you can go to the following photo posting website: http://www.fotki.com/ and setup a FREE
> account and then post the link here for people to see any of your pictures.

Point taken, but FWIW when I went there, one of the randomly generated galleries on the front
page was ****!

John Riley
 
E

Ez Biker :-\)

Guest
Martin, in order to access the photos at Yahoo site you will need to join that particular group.

Re: John Riley's response, (My suggested website contains ****) it;s really hard (No pun intended
here...) not to find **** in almost everything on the net. If it's offensive to you, can file a
formal complaint with Fotki. I was merely suggesting a photo site where one can post photos and then
offer a direct link to them for others to view here in a.r.b.r. and it's a FREE service. EZ Biker
:) Pompano Beach, Fl. Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"martinbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Blum wrote: There are photos on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bacchetta_Bikes/. Look for the
> Cherry Pie album. Socked rider is Mark Mueller.
>
> Martin
>
>
>
> --
 
E

Ez Biker :-\)

Guest
Martin, in order to access the photos at Yahoo site you will need to join that particular group.

Re: John Riley's response, (My suggested website contains ****) it;s really hard (No pun intended
here...) not to find **** in almost everything on the net. If it's offensive to you, can file a
formal complaint with Fotki. I was merely suggesting a photo site where one can post photos and then
offer a direct link to them for others to view here in a.r.b.r. and it's a FREE service. EZ Biker
:) Pompano Beach, Fl. Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"martinbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Blum wrote: There are photos on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bacchetta_Bikes/. Look for the
> Cherry Pie album. Socked rider is Mark Mueller.
>
> Martin
>
>
>
> --
 

martinbs

New Member
May 7, 2003
6
0
0
Originally posted by Ez Biker :-\)
Martin, in order to access the photos at Yahoo site you will need to join that particular group.

Ken, I posted those photos and figured that anyone who wanted to see them could join the group temporarily. No I wasn't trying to recruit for the Bacchetta group but I am also an enthusiastic Aero rider. (5'9" height also.)

Martin
 
M

Mike Schwab

Guest
I belong to several groups. The owners or moderators can set various features read only without
joining the group. One group I am in cannot access the member list even after joining. I think
joining is required before you can do any posting.

martinbs wrote:
>
> Originally posted by Ez Biker :-\) Martin, in order to access the photos at Yahoo site you will
> need to join that particular group.
>
> Ken, I posted those photos and figured that anyone who wanted to see them could join the group
> temporarily. No I wasn't trying to recruit for the Bacchetta group but I am also an enthusiastic
> Aero rider. (5'9" height also.)
>
> Martin
>
> --
 

bikebob

New Member
Dec 3, 2003
15
0
0
Originally posted by Tom Blum
There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry Pie
Criterium, held last weekend. :-0

Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera??

Inquiring mind want to SEE!!!

Tom
try this
 
E

Ez Biker :-\)

Guest
Re: No I wasn't trying to recruit for the Bacchetta group... HECK, I am!!!!!!! All the time!!! ;-)
<Grin> Martin I just thought posting photos at the photo site I listed would be an easy way for
everyone to see them.

SO, how do you like that Aero??? I'm 5' 9" as well and have the standard frame and it fits me
perfectly. To see a pict. of it (My Holiday greeting card actually...) go to: the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/37jrk EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"martinbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Ken, I posted those photos and figured that anyone who wanted to see them could join the group
> temporarily. No I wasn't trying to recruit for the Bacchetta group but I am also an enthusiastic
> Aero rider. (5'9" height also.)
>
> Martin
>
>
>
> --
 

martinbs

New Member
May 7, 2003
6
0
0
Originally posted by Ez Biker :-\)
Re: No I wasn't trying to recruit for the Bacchetta group... HECK, I am!!!!!!! All the time!!! ;-)
<Grin> Martin I just thought posting photos at the photo site I listed would be an easy way for
everyone to see them.

SO, how do you like that Aero??? I'm 5' 9" as well and have the standard frame and it fits me
perfectly. To see a pict. of it (My Holiday greeting card actually...) go to: the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/37jrk EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

I did take a look at you with your Christmas Aero. Looks great but must really foul up the aerodynamics.

My medium Aero is a great fit too. I started with a Strada in March last year - my first recumbent. I loved the ride and became committed to the recumbent.I upgraded to the Aero in Nov. and have no regrets. I am still on a strength building curve and have a ways to go. Getting there is lots of fun.

Martin
 
T

Tom Blum

Guest
I have now seen the pictures of the body socked High Racer. Thanks to all who referred me
to the site.

My question to someone who has ridden one is Are the aero advantages obvious, even though the
bottom is wide open???

I tried a tailbox on my low racer, but couldn't discern any gain. I hate to waste time and money on
a dead end.

I am not in the +20 mph club as yet. Cruising at 18 or so seems to be my sustainable limit.

Tom "bikebob" <usene[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Blum wrote:
> > There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry
Pie
> > Criterium, held last weekend. :-0 Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera?? Inquiring mind
> > want to SEE!!! Tom
>
> albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4181294&a=3198260&p=668687- 26try this
>
>
>
> --
 
E

Ez Biker :-\)

Guest
Re: ...really foul up the aerodynamics...

Martin, not when used as a parade float... ;-) <Grin> EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta
Aero {Parade} Float Pilot)

"martinbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I did take a look at you with your Christmas Aero. Looks great but must really foul up the
> aerodynamics.
 
W

Wheel Doctor

Guest
Tom, This is a Mark Meuller creation that was present at the Cherry Pie Crit. Mark can answer your
question and has on the Bacchetta Yahoo Group. This sock may be available soon for SWB's. You also
could go to windwrap.com and ask Mark

Jude

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have now seen the pictures of the body socked High Racer. Thanks to all who referred me to
> the site.
>
> My question to someone who has ridden one is Are the aero advantages obvious, even though the
> bottom is wide open???
>
> I tried a tailbox on my low racer, but couldn't discern any gain. I hate
to
> waste time and money on a dead end.
>
> I am not in the +20 mph club as yet. Cruising at 18 or so seems to be my sustainable limit.
>
> Tom "bikebob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Tom Blum wrote:
> > > There was a reference made to a body socked high racer at the Cherry
> Pie
> > > Criterium, held last weekend. :-0 Was anyone at the Criterium with a camera?? Inquiring mind
> > > want to SEE!!! Tom
> >
> > albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4181294&a=3198260&p=668687- 26try this
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
 
D

Derek

Guest
Tom,

Mark let me ride his briefly after the Cherry Pie crit. Yep, it's faster. Probably 1-2 MPH or more
for a crit course like Mark says. Obviously no help while riding hills under 10 mph or so. Vision is
parly obstructed for 20 feet ahead, but not as bad as you might think. I plan to get one.

Regards, Derek

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message .
>
> My question to someone who has ridden one is Are the aero advantages obvious, even though the
> bottom is wide open???
 
E

Edd Brady

Guest
"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message .........
> I tried a tailbox on my low racer, but couldn't discern any gain. I hate to waste time and money
> on a dead end.
>
> I am not in the +20 mph club as yet. Cruising at 18 or so seems to be my sustainable limit.
>

The fairing only helps at high speed. I bought the Optima Low Baron that Sam Whittingham
raced at the 2001 World Championships in Brighton, England. The factory tail fairing does
make a measureable difference above 25 MPH (1 to 2 MPH, and that's without proper fitment
to my torso). The slower I go, the less difference it makes. By 16 MPH, I'm at the same
heartrate and speed on either my unfaired P-38 (60 degree seat angle) or my faired low
Baron with 20 degree seat angle.

enjoy the ride,

Edd
 

Similar threads