Boeing "Dream Liner" 787 set to challenge Airbus.

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by davidmc, Feb 1, 2005.

1. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Tags:

2. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

to be fair david, there is no real competition

look at the basic specs,

Overall length
    A380-73m 787-56m

Wing span
    A380-80m 787-52m

Cross section
    A380-17.14m 787-5.74m

Passengers
    A380-555 787-296

Range
    A380-15,000km 787-6,500km

also the A380 may be in service later this year, 2006 by the latest. The boeing is already 5 years behind, not due in service until 2010.

also, the A380 is a double decker (with a triple decker friegher version) and looks a lot more impressive...the 787 is a single decker with a 'wow factor' of -2

3. zapper

zapper Banned

TWO numbers you left out here ..

2.86 billion and 7.2 billion....

4. Conniebiker

Conniebiker New Member

The big difference is the intended markets. The boiny plane is appealing to the airports already in existence, claiming often acurately that there are few airports to support the titanic of the sky. In order to propperly dock one to a terminal the terminal has to be upgraded, as the more modern ones are, to the much higher wingspans and personnel capacity.
    Air bus is trying to market the biggest plane in civilian history for prestige, a thing that boing has had since 1974 with the 747 and never been challenged. Boeing had the chance years ago to match, but they researched it and found most of thier market considers the 747 to be enormous and the 777 and 737 to be thier hottest sellers. Particularly in the asian sector. Most asian flights are fewer than 4 hours, so the larger plane would need greater maintenance with the increased cycles. The application for the Scarebus megaplane would be the 12-15 hour runs, such as to Tokyo and London and such. We have yet to actually see how well it will work in practice, but Boeing has proven they know what they are doing.

5. Bikerman2004

Bikerman2004 New Member

To be truly fair. You have to look at the market segments the planes are intended to fill. I do agree that the A380 is very impressive.
    It's funny how Mt Pro complains that in America we always want it bigger and better. Yet he jumps all over the A380. Is bigger and better a problem in Europe as well?

6. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

actually, a lot of ariport terminals are in the process right now of being upgraded. people are willing to spend big on this project in order to pull us out of the dreary long haul situation that we currently have with boeings out dated planes constantly having to be repaiered on the runway

two years ago i flew from Amsterdam direct to the far east using a well known dutch company. We stopped in Kuala Lumpur for change passengers an di stayed on for the onward journey. There were a few technicains called in to take a look at a fault while the plane was grounded for 2 hours longer that scheduled. I asked what was wrong and the crew were very evasive with their answers. One of the technicians said that the planes navigation system was out and had been for the last 2000 miles of the trip....fuck me. the pilot had been flying over the middle east, india and china manually trying to guess where he was going....this should have been in the news. Luckilly the dutch polit knew where he was going..

yeah, boeing 747 technology...great!

7. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

thats the irony of this situation....youre being beaten at your own game..

8. Bikerman2004

Bikerman2004 New Member

Is that what this thread is about? You make everything into US vs Europe.

9. zapper

zapper Banned

I suggest you think again grasshopper...2.86 vs 7.2 billion :confused:

10. zapper

zapper Banned

Hey...where is the concord?

11. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

david started a thread about a US company producing a rival product to a EU company...nuthin to do with me..

okay, back to planes...vrooom vrooom

12. zapper

zapper Banned

Just for the record...Are dogs allowed on the euro zepplin?

13. Bikerman2004

Bikerman2004 New Member

Don't believe you for a minute. You came to Airbus' defense awfully quick.

14. zapper

zapper Banned

Hey...you are on to something...It seems he had the specs of both planes in his hip pocket...guess they do have pockets in them there skirts... :D

15. birdman23

birdman23 New Member

You are on to something Bikerman. He will turn any topic into US vs EU

16. BassDave

BassDave New Member

The new Airbus 380 is a nice plane and will fill a niche in the air carrier industry, . . . . . . . .but Boeing won't be going bankrupt over it's arrival. At any rate, I don't think Boeing SHOULD attempt to 'compete' with the 380. Cudos to Airbus for it's accomplishments. There are many other routes that will be needing the 737, 767, 777, and the like. :)

17. FredC

FredC New Member

Graciously retired I'm afraid, but we can always make another with a glass cockpit and digitalised deck. You lot couldn't even make it to the starting gate in the first instance. I wonder why did wealthy Americans use it for the last 34 years if it was so deadly?

18. zapper

zapper Banned

I'm not sure about being deadly...I think it more because it wasn't very economical and was expensive...Kind of like the airbus...A novelty act!

19. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Its a deep question. Deeper than you are capable of thinking.

The Concorde retired because it was not profitable. It took 25 years for the novelty to wear off. Oh yes, we still fly the B1B and NOTHING can touch the SR71. Defense is about what you can do. Business is about what you can do and turn a profit.

Airbus is predicting economic advantage by putting 700+ on board BUT the question remains if this is viable for the long runs. That airplane will lose if only half the seats are sold. Sure, trade seats for fuel but how long do passengers want to remain airborn? There are limits to economies of scale, something that went into the scale of the 777.

20. Bikerman2004

Bikerman2004 New Member

Nope that lot didn't make it to the starting gate. That lot decided instead to build the 747. Built close to 1300 of them. A lot more than the 20 Concordes that were built.
    The Concorde is still the greatest airliner ever built. Too bad it ended up being uneconomical.