Boiled Banana And Sweet Potato

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Corzhens, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

In one of my vacations this year, I had an association with the riders in the rural area. They were a group of more than 50 so I'd say they were pretty organized with their cycling activities of mostly touring from town to town. I had noticed that most riders have a small pack aside from the water bottle. When they take a stopover (usually 30 minutes or more), snacking is in order. Gee, boiled banana and boiled sweet potato. It's actually boiled plantain, they said would maintain the body weight and lessen exhaustion. The sweet potato gives you energy, as per their tradition.

Tags:

2. Zhen25

Zhen25 Member

These hard foods do supply you with energy which is why they can cycle for such a long time. Also they don't really want to lose weight, just to stay fit so I guess they are eating these to keep their built.

3. Vickeree

Vickeree Member

What's make them great as an enegry food is that they have less glycimic index (I'm assuming the type of boiled banana you are referring to is "Saba" ) They don't flood you with instant sugar but instead are time released and trickle down slowly hence not causing a response.

4. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

That sounds delicious!
    I love plantains and I love sweet taters so together sounds good, and healthy too!

5. Corzhens

This is the first time I've heard of sweet taters. Yeah, now I realize that tater means potato and since the camote is sweet potato, huh, okay, I get it now. With the plantain, would you believe that I only learned of that this year in one of the forums? All I know is banana, any variety is banana. But then that term plantain came along and now I understand that it is different from banana in such a way that plantain is preferred to be cooked. Well, plantain has many properties pertaining to energy.

6. sunshiney

sunshiney Member

I've never tried boiled plantain but it sounds yummy :) I love cooking with sweet potatoes but I didn't realize that they were such a good energy food, I'm going to have to keep that in mind as something to eat before a ride or the gym.

7. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Boiled sweet potatoes are delicious, I've tried them often and I love them, but usually to eat with a meal, not as a snack while riding. Interesting concept though! :D

8. Corzhens

Not only are they delicious and energy-giving, sweet potatoes are also good if you are trying to lose weight. The weight gain when eating sweet potatoes is temporary and in a week, you can shed off 2 pounds without much sacrifice on the food intake. Especially for the athletic type like cyclists, sweet potato is very good for the temporary energy it gives.

9. oportosanto

Interesting that you say that Corzhens... :) I love sweet potatoes, but most likely that is because I don't eat them so often, eventually once or twice per month if that much.

10. pinkride

pinkride New Member

Never heard of boiled banana before and never have tried one, but I know that banana is a really good and healthy snack. In combination with sweet potato I guess this is all you need to keep going.

11. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

I could never eat that because of the excessive carb/sugar amount. I guess it may work for people that don't have my health limitations though.

12. ambal

ambal Active Member

banana and sweet potato are junk foods and they make people fat - really fat. Well spoted @Jcycle people with insulin resistance would have had it caused by bananas and sweet potatoes.

13. jimmy484

jimmy484 Member

Definitely. There's been some recent research to suggest that the gastrointestinal tract has an upper limit on the rate at which it can absorb glucose, and if you overload it above this threshold then you'll quickly find yourself feeling sick and/or suffering from diarrhea and stomach cramps. Anything that keeps the glycemic load below this limit can only be a good thing for a long distance cyclist.

14. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Carb intake is one of a combination of factors that have the effect of developing insulin resistance. It isn't enough on it's own to cause it.

15. oportosanto

Banana is something excellent and can be cooked in a variety of ways. I've eaten banana bread and it's delicious. Also, fried banana with cinnamon and sugar is delicious!

16. Corzhens

This is the first time I've heard of insulin-resistance. Is this a medical term that has conclusive evidence? I'm asking because I understand that insulin is all about diabetes and that disease runs in our family. I just hope that it is not true about carb because our staple is rice which supplies our body with carbohydrates.

17. oportosanto

I am not really sure what insulin resistance is either, I am guessing that it's something that will cause us problems, but it would be interesting that you could develop this further.

Corzhens likes this.
  18. Corzhens

From what I know, any tuber is a healthy food that is filling so it doesn't give us much extra weight aside from the carbohydrates that we get from it. With banana, it gives us extra weight but it also gives us extra energy. I'm not saying this is from medical science. That's based on the tradition inherited from my grandparents and, of course, my experience with those food.

19. oportosanto

Yes, banana gives extra energy because it's easily absorbed by the blood stream, so it's like natural energy directly into the blood stream. It also makes us think better because the brain receives energy too.

20. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Insulin resistance is the primary component of type 2 diabetes. A diet high in sugars and or processed carbohydrates can be a factor in the onset of type 2 diabetes when combined with other contributing factors. Diet doesn't usually do it alone, but it does play a big part. When referring to type 2 diabetes genetics can be a predisposition but it it isn't always a factor. There are type 2 diabetics without a family history of the disease as well. Provided that you are not overweight, you are not diabetic, you are not genetically predisposed to diabetes, and have an active lifestyle, eating boiled banana and boiled sweet potato could be okay, but it shouldn't be the first choice as it is not the healthiest. It is about the same as eating a candy bar or two depending on the candy bar.

Corzhens likes this.