Boiled Banana And Sweet Potato

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Corzhens, Dec 4, 2015.

1. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

I love eating those two even when I'm not riding. They keep me full easily and for a long time. They give me energy as well even if I just ate one banana or two sweet potatoes. They're great as snacks because they are filling but healthy. So I wouldn't be surprised that these bikers are eating them out as a snack when they're biking.

2. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

They aren't as healthy as you think they are.

3. djcycling

djcycling New Member

Hmm.. Carbs are really beneficial while cycling. Besides, using boiled food like this sounds better than taking in an energy drink or the run-of-the-mill fruit juice or shake.

4. JSWin

JSWin Member

I have not heard of this combo. It would burn fat actually. I'm not sure that they would digest well together. I've heard of the fried bananas. I think I may have made it one time. I'm not big on cooking fruit though. These two sound like they'd be good though. Fruits and roots are fat burners.

5. Acheno84

Acheno84 Member

I have never heard of such a combination. I love plantains so I'm sure that I would enjoy a boiled banana if I had to. I know that bananas help me with muscle cramps so maybe boiled would be a nice treat. Does that take the sweetness out of it or is the flavor generally the same?

6. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

It would not burn fat. Where do you come up with this crap?

7. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

That's what I am thinking too, why would fruits be fat burners? We need to exercise to burn fat, not to eat!

8. Dame6089

Dame6089 New Member

This is interesting. For years, I have eaten a banana before exercising in place of a pre-workout supplement. Although I am a big sweet potato fan, I have to admit that I have never considered it as a pre-workout food. I am wondering if sweet potatoes are practical for regular exercise or should be used mainly for endurance activities like biking. I need to look more into this.

9. cycle93

cycle93 Member

I am all over banana regarding nutrients and healthy food. Banana is one of my main buddies, but somehow I just cant get on with sweet potato.

I mean it is just too sweet, I know that the whole point is the sweetness, but for me it resembles cooked, bland carrot, which I hate. So I still need to send a friend request to sweet potato I guess.

10. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

That is the fact, but if we can buy biological bananas we are better off because the regular ones contain a lot of chemicals.

11. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

It does sound like an interesting combination. Plantains are expensive were I live, so if I ever do try to make this combo I will use regular sweat bananas.

12. SkerleeWerg

SkerleeWerg Member

I don't get why you'd boil bananas...that sounds kinda nasty to me? Idk, just my take. I like bananas as they are :)

As for sweet potatoes, I don't like them. Just don't appeal to me, never have. Get that they're healthier than potatoes, but hey, w/e. Not eatin that.

13. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

Yes, you are right. Sweet potatoes tastes better than the original potatoes and they also have a better nutritional value. However, I prefer raw bananas.

14. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

Well, I don't think it will effect you. It contains natural sugar and that is not at all harmful for your body. So, you should not care about natural sugar.

15. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

I'm sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. Fructose is the "natural" sugar you are referring to. Fructose raises blood sugar faster than almost anything else. In fact as a diabetic dependent on insulin injections I occasionally have lows, and fruit or fruit juice is just about the fastest way to raise blood sugar. Blood sugar levels have a massive effect on health and your body. Natural does not equal safe. Oh, and in much of the industrialized world candies, and other sweetened items like syrups, baked goods, junk foods, sodas, and the like are sweetened with fructose because it is cheaper than table sugar. So much for your "natural" argument.

16. minhkien99

minhkien99 New Member

Ich mag dich

oportosanto likes this.
  17. Belovedad

Belovedad New Member

Yep, those food are considered energy foods as they are good sources of carbohydrates. However, don't overdo it since they are also pretty starchy.

18. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Try responding in English like the rest of us on this forum.

19. SkerleeWerg

SkerleeWerg Member

Idk, check out mindful diabetic on youtube. 500-700g of carbs per day in great health.

You're very wrong about fructose because it though it does raise blood sugar, but it does not require insulin to metabolize. That is an absolute medical fact. Fructose in its natural form is an extremely simple sugar and gets a free pass straight to the liver, not in concentrated dosages that do not accompany fruit fibers that slow the process of it entering your bloodstream. You're saying juice raises your blood sugar level...well yeah...there's no fibers to stop it from sponging into your bloodstream as your body tries to hydrate with its water content.

20. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

Thank you very much for the valuable information. I just said what I knew about and I was not aware of these facts. Thanks for making me aware of these facts.