Boiled chicken

Melba'S Jammin

Guest
Michael Horowitz's sauce for chicken made me think of this.

First, I love it just out of the pot of chicken soup. Sister Julie tells a story about a time when I
was a little when Mom took the chicken (a whole one, apparently) from the vat of soup and put it on
a platter. I stripped it of its skin. I try to not do that too much now. :)

When I make chicken soup, serving it does not generally involve much of the chicken meat. A bowl of
chicken soup at my house will consist of noodles and broth with, perhaps, some of ther cooked carrot
and celery from the pot. I think that comes from a background where the sacrificial chicken was
served in one form or another at more than one meal. Birdy first did duty by flavoring the water,
then was served as the main course for dinner. I digress.

One of my favorite things to do with the soup's chicken meat is to make a sandwich spread. Put
chunks of chicken into a food processor bowl. Add some chunked onion, and a few pieces of celery
that's been cut into 1- to 1-1/2-inch pieces. How much of any is your call. To taste. :) Pulse-
process until things are coarsely, mediumly, or finely chopped (your preference) -- but not to a
paste, please. Turn the mixture into a bowl (shut up, zxcvbob; you know what I mean) season with an
little s&p and moisten with some mayo. Spread on some toasted bread and top with a lettuce leaf and
another piece of toasted bread. It's a mighty fine sandwich for lunch. Nothing fancy. Just tasty.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1-31-04 A good friend will come and bail you out of jail; a
true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Michael Horowitz's sauce for chicken made me think of this.
<snip tasty ideas>

That sounds soooooooooo good.... :)

I may have to try that sometime soon when I have some extra chicken. Turkey is good on toast too. :)

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Michael Horowitz's sauce for chicken made me think of this.
>
> First, I love it just out of the pot of chicken soup. Sister Julie tells a story about a time when
> I was a little when Mom took the chicken (a whole one, apparently) from the vat of soup and put it
> on a platter. I stripped it of its skin. I try to not do that too much now. :)
>
> When I make chicken soup, serving it does not generally involve much of the chicken meat. A bowl
> of chicken soup at my house will consist of noodles and broth with, perhaps, some of ther cooked
> carrot and celery from the pot. I think that comes from a background where the sacrificial chicken
> was served in one form or another at more than one meal. Birdy first did duty by flavoring the
> water, then was served as the main course for dinner. I digress.
>
> One of my favorite things to do with the soup's chicken meat is to make a sandwich spread. Put
> chunks of chicken into a food processor bowl. Add some chunked onion, and a few pieces of celery
> that's been cut into 1- to 1-1/2-inch pieces. How much of any is your call. To taste. :) Pulse-
> process until things are coarsely, mediumly, or finely chopped (your preference) -- but not to a
> paste, please. Turn the mixture into a bowl (shut up, zxcvbob; you know what I mean) season with
> an little s&p and moisten with some mayo. Spread on some toasted bread and top with a lettuce
> leaf and another piece of toasted bread. It's a mighty fine sandwich for lunch. Nothing fancy.
> Just tasty.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1-31-04 A good friend will come and bail you out of jail;
> a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

Barb- My grandma always used her own chickens for soup (Lord, what a difference from those
stupormarket birds!). Often, after pressurecooking for the broth she would take the chicken pieces
and lightly dredge them in flour, then fry them in her big old cast iron skillet on the woodburning
stove in her kitchen. The resulting fried chicken was so moist and tender it would melt in your
mouth! It doesn't work as well with birds from the store, alas, unless I splurge at Iowa Meat Farms
for a Rocky chicken -lots more flavor.

kimberly

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> One of my favorite things to do with the soup's chicken meat is to make a sandwich spread.

Even when I make chicken soup I roast the chicken first. I love to make a sandwich spread with the
roasted breast in the same manner you make yours. After I've pulled as much meat as I can easily, I
boil the carcass and add all the pan drippings back, remove the carcass and pull the rest of the
meat, add my veggies, spices and noodles. When that's done, add the pulled meat.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Michael Horowitz's sauce for chicken made me think of this.
>
> First, I love it just out of the pot of chicken soup. Sister Julie tells a story about a time when
> I was a little when Mom took the chicken (a whole one, apparently) from the vat of soup and put it
> on a platter. I stripped it of its skin. I try to not do that too much now. :)
>
> When I make chicken soup, serving it does not generally involve much of the chicken meat. A bowl
> of chicken soup at my house will consist of noodles and broth with, perhaps, some of ther cooked
> carrot and celery from the pot. I think that comes from a background where the sacrificial chicken
> was served in one form or another at more than one meal. Birdy first did duty by flavoring the
> water, then was served as the main course for dinner. I digress.
>
> One of my favorite things to do with the soup's chicken meat is to make a sandwich spread. Put
> chunks of chicken into a food processor bowl. Add some chunked onion, and a few pieces of celery
> that's been cut into 1- to 1-1/2-inch pieces. How much of any is your call. To taste. :) Pulse-
> process until things are coarsely, mediumly, or finely chopped (your preference) -- but not to a
> paste, please. Turn the mixture into a bowl (shut up, zxcvbob; you know what I mean)

Who, me? :) If you can really make a bowl out of boiled chicken, I'm impressed!

> season with an little s&p and moisten with some mayo. Spread on some toasted bread and top with a
> lettuce leaf and another piece of toasted bread. It's a mighty fine sandwich for lunch. Nothing
> fancy. Just tasty.

I make chicken salad sometimes with the meat from pressure cooking chicken scraps until they
disintegrate to make stock. After picking out all the tiny neck bones and ribs, I add minced onion,
celery, pickle relish, and a little mayo. Adjust seasonings with s&p, but not too salty. Then add a
bunch of Miracle Whip® until it spreads easily, and eat it with Chicken In a Biscuit® crackers.

Best regards, Bob

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:25:51 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My grandma always used her own chickens for soup (Lord, what a difference from those stupormarket
>birds!). Often, after pressurecooking for the broth she would take the chicken pieces and lightly
>dredge them in flour, then fry them in her big old cast iron skillet on the woodburning stove in
>her kitchen. The resulting fried chicken was so moist and tender it would melt in your mouth! It
>doesn't work as well with birds from the store, alas, unless I splurge at Iowa Meat Farms for a
>Rocky chicken -lots more flavor.

We get chickens from local farms at the Greenmarket in NYC. They are like another creature entirely
from those we used to get at stores. But, the best are a lot more expensive.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"That idiot Leibniz, who wants to teach me about the infinitesimally small! Has he therefore
forgotten that I am the wife of Frederick I? How can he imagine that I am unacquainted with my
own husband?"