Boise: Somebody's Website Pics

Paladin

Guest
http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html

Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends what
it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many tickets from
the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.

We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
picture when you're focused on survival.

Paladin

On 20 Feb 2003 12:50:48 -0800, Paladin wrote:

> We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
> picture when you're focused on survival.

Actually the bigger problem is taking pictures that show even the slightest clue how steep and
technical a trail is.

But then, when WE have big grey beards like that guy, we might not be riding such technical
trails either!

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
>
> Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends
> what it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many tickets
> from the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.
>
> We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
> picture when you're focused on survival.
>
> Paladin

There are more trees then I imagined. I got to quit eating donuts so I will be able to climb some of
that stuff!

Cleanbean still hopin on Idaho trip

[email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
>
> Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends
> what it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many tickets
> from the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.
>
> We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
> picture when you're focused on survival.
>
> Paladin

Thanks for the link! I went for a couple rides in Sun Valley last year. Very sweet. The most
technical thing I found consistently was some tight switchbacks, the likes of which I've never seen
out east but seem common in the rides I've done in the West. Otherwise, patches of loose rocks here
and there. Fox Creek was a nice, short loop. I remember a couple rocky sections, but for the most
part it was singletrack. The Greenhorn Gulch ride's elevation went from 6000' to 8000' feet. It may
not sound like much to you inhabitants of the Rockies, but to this sea-level city slicker, it was
noticed! It was mostly singltrack too, similar to the later pics of Boise it it's sun exposure. I
think Fox Creek had a lot more trees, similar to the earlier pics. Gave myself a pretty sweet
little scar on the side of my left calf on Greenhorn Gulch. I was on my way down, around 2/3 of the
way through the ride. After huffing up for so long, I wanted to test out the capabilities of my
rented FSR-XC. I was riding through a flat section, the trail skirting one of the hills, uphill to
my left and downward to my right. I was pedalling through a flat section when clipped a pedal on a
rock. (Either those FSR's have lower BBs than I'm accustomed to on a hardtail and I ignored the
rock, or I didn't see the rock at all, I'm not really sure.) It was the right pedal that hit. You'd
think this would have pushed me towards the left and uphill rather than down, but no. Inexplicably,
I flew off the right side of the trail, landing rolling in a big pile of rocks. As aforementioned,
the fall took a nice bite out of my left leg and elbow, banged up my right knee, scraped up my
shoulder, and the force of the impact gave me that ozone buzz in my sinuses, like when you've been
punched in the nose and feel blurry and crosseyed and might want to cry. I was alone, resting,
assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the sunlight, when suddenly I realized
that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of fauna prowled around there. In the East,
we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some rabid varmints to worry about. Idaho? What the
hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions? Pterydactyls? Who the
hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of there. I'll have to see if I can dig
up those pics. /s

supabonbon wrote:
> Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions?
> Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of there.

Usually the human residents are your biggest worry.

Penny

On 20 Feb 2003 12:50:48 -0800, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

>http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html

> but I know how hard it is to stop and take a picture when you're focused on survival.

True

:-]

Paladin wrote:

> http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
>
> Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends
> what it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many tickets
> from the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.
>
> We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take a
> picture when you're focused on survival.
>
> Paladin

Besides showing Boise, it shows a great way to enjoy trails. The retro look of t-shirts, cut-off
jeans, and a rigid MTB is not something I see enough. Sometimes a FS bike and a little lycra makes
me miss the scenery. These guys look like they are taking it all in.

Nice pics.

[email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
> >
> > Well, I ran across this website that shows a few pics from the Boise area, to show you friends
> > what it's typically like around here. (I used to post binaries, until collecting too many
> > tickets from the usenet police) I don't know these guys or anything about them.
> >
> > We have lotsa trails more technical than those shown, but I know how hard it is to stop and take
> > a picture when you're focused on survival.
> >
> > Paladin
>

> Thanks for the link! I went for a couple rides in Sun Valley last year. <snip a bit> I was alone,
> resting, assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the sunlight, when suddenly I
> realized that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of fauna prowled around there. In the
> East, we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some rabid varmints to worry about. Idaho?
> What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions? Pterydactyls?
> Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of there. I'll have to see if
> I can dig up those pics. /s

Great story. The main thing to respect up there is exposure, hypothermia, resulting disorientation,
and simply getting back on time (or at all.) I've not seen any bear or cougars, but lots of tracks.
Usually its deer, elk, occasionally a moose, foxes, racoon, beaver. The weather changes quickly, so
I always bring a little extra, but especially pack a jacket for longer trips at higher elevations.
I've not done Greenhorn Gulch, but everybody says it's a hoot. Gonna try this summer, as there's a
group ride planned for Soldier Mtn just south of there.

Paladin

[email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message news:

((nice RR snipped))

> I was alone, resting, assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the sunlight,
> when suddenly I realized that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of fauna prowled
> around there. In the East, we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some rabid varmints to
> worry about. Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions?
> Scorpions? Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of
> there. I'll have to see if I can dig up those pics. /s

Last summer someone in Ketchum reported a cougar in their back yard. I don't remember exactly (Old
Fart's Syndrome) but I think they shot
ga.

Also two were spotted not far from town about the same time.

I've been *very* wary lately when riding the trails around there. I think the chances of running
across one are small as they normally avoid humans and human habitats so it doesn't stop me from
riding when I get up there. But I guess they get hungry sometimes... :)

You might also (rarely) run across some elk, bear and deer. I ran over a snake one time but I was
afraid Mikey would report me so I haven't really mentioned it much. Oh, and I clipped a squirrel
with my pedal once but it seemed to shake off the beating quite well. I looked back and saw it
scampering off.

DJ

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> supabonbon wrote:
> > Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions?
> > Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of there.
>
> Usually the human residents are your biggest worry.
>
> Penny

Actually, lately it's been those looking to extinguish the human residents en masse. With the
weather here lately, I've been taking the subway. Half the people are reading the Post blaring
headlines like 'SUBWAY CYANIDE', a quarter reading religious texts of some sort, the others jumpy
and staring at anyone making a sound. I've seen people crossing themselves and exhaling after
occaisional mid-tunnel pauses. Fun stuff. I'm going to be pretty happy to get back on the bike,
when all I have to worry about is taxis, potholes, box vans, grease/ice slicks, jaywalkers, and
drivers from NJ who believe that their liscense plates allow them the right on red no matter where
they are. /s

[email protected] (djarvinen) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message news:
>
> ((nice RR snipped))
>
> > I was alone, resting, assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the sunlight,
> > when suddenly I realized that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of fauna prowled
> > around there. In the East, we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some rabid varmints
> > to worry about. Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers? Grizzlies? Mountain lions?
> > Scorpions? Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on the bike and the hell out of
> > there. I'll have to see if I can dig up those pics. /s
>
> Last summer someone in Ketchum reported a cougar in their back yard. I don't remember exactly (Old
> Fart's Syndrome) but I think they shot
> it.
>
> Also two were spotted not far from town about the same time.
>
> I've been *very* wary lately when riding the trails around there. I think the chances of running
> across one are small as they normally avoid humans and human habitats so it doesn't stop me from
> riding when I get up there. But I guess they get hungry sometimes... :)
>
> You might also (rarely) run across some elk, bear and deer. I ran over a snake one time but I was
> afraid Mikey would report me so I haven't really mentioned it much. Oh, and I clipped a squirrel
> with my pedal once but it seemed to shake off the beating quite well. I looked back and saw it
> scampering off.
>
> DJ

Glad you chimed in, ****. I've jumped snakes a couple times over by TableRock after sundown in the
summer when they come out to lay around on the warm rocks in the middle of the trail. (I guess
that's what they're doing. That and scouting for mice?) Have seen them slithering off the trail
many, many times over on my side of the mtn (ie, Hulls Gulch, etc.). *Lots* of 2-legged foxes with
dogs out last night, btw.

Paladin

[email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (djarvinen) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message news:
> >
> > ((nice RR snipped))
> >
> > > I was alone, resting, assessing the damage, licking wounds, enjoying some time in the
> > > sunlight, when suddenly I realized that I was far from home, and had no idea what kind of
> > > fauna prowled around there. In the East, we've got deer ticks, little black bears, maybe some
> > > rabid varmints to worry about. Idaho? What the hell do I know about Idaho? Rattlers?
> > > Grizzlies? Mountain lions? Scorpions? Pterydactyls? Who the hell knows? Not me! I got back on
> > > the bike and the hell out of there. I'll have to see if I can dig up those pics. /s
> >
> > Last summer someone in Ketchum reported a cougar in their back yard. I don't remember exactly
> > (Old Fart's Syndrome) but I think they shot
> > it.
> >
> > Also two were spotted not far from town about the same time.
> >
> > I've been *very* wary lately when riding the trails around there. I think the chances of running
> > across one are small as they normally avoid humans and human habitats so it doesn't stop me from
> > riding when I get up there. But I guess they get hungry sometimes... :)
> >
> > You might also (rarely) run across some elk, bear and deer. I ran over a snake one time but I
> > was afraid Mikey would report me so I haven't really mentioned it much. Oh, and I clipped a
> > squirrel with my pedal once but it seemed to shake off the beating quite well. I looked back and
> > saw it scampering off.
> >
> > DJ
>

> Glad you chimed in, ****. I've jumped snakes a couple times over by TableRock after sundown in the
> summer when they come out to lay around on the warm rocks in the middle of the trail. (I guess
> that's what they're doing. That and scouting for mice?) Have seen them slithering off the trail
> many, many times over on my side of the mtn (ie, Hulls Gulch, etc.). *Lots* of 2-legged foxes with
> dogs out last night, btw.
>
> Paladin

Err... my wife doesn't allow me to do fox hunting anymore.

DJ