Bolivia's 'Death Road' claims life of U.S. mountain biker

Mike Vandeman

Guest
Evolution at work:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/21/news/Bolivia-US-Tourist-Death.php

LA PAZ, Bolivia: A U.S. tourist has been killed after losing control
of his mountain bike and plunging off a cliff while biking down
Bolivia's treacherous "Highway of Death," rescue officials said
Monday.

Firefighter Ramiro Torres told The Associated Press that Kenneth
Mitchell died Saturday afternoon after falling about 230 feet (70
meters).

Officials at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz confirmed the 56-year-old
Mitchell's death but declined to release his hometown.

Mitchell was riding with one of several tourist agencies that offer
guided trips down the mountain road, which is known for its
breathtaking views, hairpin turns and steep drops.

Bus accidents killed hundreds of Bolivians a year there until a new,
paved highway was opened in 2007.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman blathered:
> Evolution at work:
>
> http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/21/news/Bolivia-US-Tourist-Death.php
>
> LA PAZ, Bolivia: A U.S. tourist has been killed after losing control
> of his mountain bike and plunging off a cliff while biking down
> Bolivia's treacherous "Highway of Death," rescue officials said
> Monday.
>
> Firefighter Ramiro Torres told The Associated Press that Kenneth
> Mitchell died Saturday afternoon after falling about 230 feet (70
> meters).
>
> Officials at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz confirmed the 56-year-old
> Mitchell's death but declined to release his hometown.
>
> Mitchell was riding with one of several tourist agencies that offer
> guided trips down the mountain road, which is known for its
> breathtaking views, hairpin turns and steep drops.
>
> Bus accidents killed hundreds of Bolivians a year there until a new,
> paved highway was opened in 2007.

Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.

On Apr 25, 12:53 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Mike Vandeman blathered:
>

> > Evolution at work:

> >http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/21/news/Bolivia-US-Tourist-Dea...

> > LA PAZ, Bolivia: A U.S. tourist has been killed after losing control
> > of his mountain bike and plunging off a cliff while biking down
> > Bolivia's treacherous "Highway of Death," rescue officials said
> > Monday.

> > Firefighter Ramiro Torres told The Associated Press that Kenneth
> > Mitchell died Saturday afternoon after falling about 230 feet (70
> > meters).

> > Officials at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz confirmed the 56-year-old
> > Mitchell's death but declined to release his hometown.

> > Mitchell was riding with one of several tourist agencies that offer
> > guided trips down the mountain road, which is known for its
> > breathtaking views, hairpin turns and steep drops.

> > Bus accidents killed hundreds of Bolivians a year there until a new,
> > paved highway was opened in 2007.

> Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

It doesn't matter to the Lying Chef...I mean Iron chef. He is an
idiot. He's only out to promote the injury to all bikers and he can't
deny this. recent quote. "break a leg" to a cyclist on the forums. Yet
he will deny he said this as usual. A person that dodges all questions
is truly a dishonest person such as he.

On Apr 24, 9:53 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Mike Vandeman blathered:
>

> > Evolution at work:

> >http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/21/news/Bolivia-US-Tourist-Dea...

> > LA PAZ, Bolivia: A U.S. tourist has been killed after losing control
> > of his mountain bike and plunging off a cliff while biking down
> > Bolivia's treacherous "Highway of Death," rescue officials said
> > Monday.

> > Firefighter Ramiro Torres told The Associated Press that Kenneth
> > Mitchell died Saturday afternoon after falling about 230 feet (70
> > meters).

> > Officials at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz confirmed the 56-year-old
> > Mitchell's death but declined to release his hometown.

> > Mitchell was riding with one of several tourist agencies that offer
> > guided trips down the mountain road, which is known for its
> > breathtaking views, hairpin turns and steep drops.

> > Bus accidents killed hundreds of Bolivians a year there until a new,
> > paved highway was opened in 2007.

> Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

Exactly. I'm with you on the small-trail riding, Mike, but
c'mon...this is a motor vehicle roadway. Motor vehicles plunge to
their deaths here too.

Bruce Jensen

You nitwit.

You assert for years on end that mountain bikes should only be ridden on
pavement, then post **** drivel about a guy riding on pavement being killed.
You are a moron.

Coincidence? You decide...

"Mike Vandeman" = "A Damn Vehicle Man"

:O)

> Evolution at work:
>
> http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/21/news/Bolivia-US-Tourist-Death.php
>
> LA PAZ, Bolivia: A U.S. tourist has been killed after losing control
> of his mountain bike and plunging off a cliff while biking down
> Bolivia's treacherous "Highway of Death," rescue officials said
> Monday.
>
> Firefighter Ramiro Torres told The Associated Press that Kenneth
> Mitchell died Saturday afternoon after falling about 230 feet (70
> meters).
>
> Officials at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz confirmed the 56-year-old
> Mitchell's death but declined to release his hometown.
>
> Mitchell was riding with one of several tourist agencies that offer
> guided trips down the mountain road, which is known for its
> breathtaking views, hairpin turns and steep drops.
>
> Bus accidents killed hundreds of Bolivians a year there until a new,
> paved highway was opened in 2007.
>
> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
> fond of!
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:53:44 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman blathered:
>> Evolution at work:
>>
>> http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/21/news/Bolivia-US-Tourist-Death.php
>>
>> LA PAZ, Bolivia: A U.S. tourist has been killed after losing control
>> of his mountain bike and plunging off a cliff while biking down
>> Bolivia's treacherous "Highway of Death," rescue officials said
>> Monday.
>>
>> Firefighter Ramiro Torres told The Associated Press that Kenneth
>> Mitchell died Saturday afternoon after falling about 230 feet (70
>> meters).
>>
>> Officials at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz confirmed the 56-year-old
>> Mitchell's death but declined to release his hometown.
>>
>> Mitchell was riding with one of several tourist agencies that offer
>> guided trips down the mountain road, which is known for its
>> breathtaking views, hairpin turns and steep drops.
>>
>> Bus accidents killed hundreds of Bolivians a year there until a new,
>> paved highway was opened in 2007.

>Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.

He was riding a mountain bike on a mountain road. What part of
"mountain biking" don't you understand?

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:06:43 -0700 (PDT), Bruce Jensen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Apr 24, 9:53 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> Mike Vandeman blathered:
>>

>> > Evolution at work:

>> >http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/21/news/Bolivia-US-Tourist-Dea...

>> > LA PAZ, Bolivia: A U.S. tourist has been killed after losing control
>> > of his mountain bike and plunging off a cliff while biking down
>> > Bolivia's treacherous "Highway of Death," rescue officials said
>> > Monday.

>> > Firefighter Ramiro Torres told The Associated Press that Kenneth
>> > Mitchell died Saturday afternoon after falling about 230 feet (70
>> > meters).

>> > Officials at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz confirmed the 56-year-old
>> > Mitchell's death but declined to release his hometown.

>> > Mitchell was riding with one of several tourist agencies that offer
>> > guided trips down the mountain road, which is known for its
>> > breathtaking views, hairpin turns and steep drops.

>> > Bus accidents killed hundreds of Bolivians a year there until a new,
>> > paved highway was opened in 2007.

>> Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.
>>
>> --
>> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
>> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

>Exactly. I'm with you on the small-trail riding, Mike, but
>c'mon...this is a motor vehicle roadway. Motor vehicles plunge to
>their deaths here too.

So you think riding a mountain bike on a mountain road has nothing to
do with mountain biking? You are weird.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 01:23:16 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=5868
>
>Mike, noticed you did not respond. Take a look at above link, looks like a
>road to me, clearly not a mt. bike trail.

He was riding a mountain bike on a mountain road. Sounds like mountain
biking to me.

>rick

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

So if I ride my mt. bike on Sonora Pass in the Sierra (a motor vechicle
route just as the Boliva Highway is, which btw it is a major route for
vehicular trafic in that country) and die than I died mt. biking. If you
answer yes, than you are dumber than I think. because by that example as
long as I ride a road bike on mt. biking trails, then I am road riding,
right?

Rick

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:53:44 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Mike Vandeman blathered:
>>> Evolution at work:
>>>
>>> http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/21/news/Bolivia-US-Tourist-Death.php
>>>
>>> LA PAZ, Bolivia: A U.S. tourist has been killed after losing control
>>> of his mountain bike and plunging off a cliff while biking down
>>> Bolivia's treacherous "Highway of Death," rescue officials said
>>> Monday.
>>>
>>> Firefighter Ramiro Torres told The Associated Press that Kenneth
>>> Mitchell died Saturday afternoon after falling about 230 feet (70
>>> meters).
>>>
>>> Officials at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz confirmed the 56-year-old
>>> Mitchell's death but declined to release his hometown.
>>>
>>> Mitchell was riding with one of several tourist agencies that offer
>>> guided trips down the mountain road, which is known for its
>>> breathtaking views, hairpin turns and steep drops.
>>>
>>> Bus accidents killed hundreds of Bolivians a year there until a new,
>>> paved highway was opened in 2007.

>> Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.

> He was riding a mountain bike on a mountain road. What part of
> "mountain biking" don't you understand?

Gee Mikey, riding a bicycle on an existing road used by motorized
passenger vehicles and cargo trucks does a lot of additional damage to
the environment, right? I suppose riding a touring bicycle would fine
however, since bicycles sold as "mountain bikes" are inherently evil,
even if ridden exclusively on improved roads with street tread tires.
[End sarcasm]

Unlike Mikey, I actually own a bicycle with knobby tires (Trek 6000) and
have ridden it (barney like, but that is beside the point) on
single-track. But then, Mikey lets his obsession with "mountain bikes"
get in way of any kind of logical thought process.

On Apr 26, 1:05 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:53:44 -0500, Tom Sherman
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Mike Vandeman blathered:
> >> Evolution at work:

> >>http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/21/news/Bolivia-US-Tourist-Dea...

> >> LA PAZ, Bolivia: A U.S. tourist has been killed after losing control
> >> of his mountain bike and plunging off a cliff while biking down
> >> Bolivia's treacherous "Highway of Death," rescue officials said
> >> Monday.

> >> Firefighter Ramiro Torres told The Associated Press that Kenneth
> >> Mitchell died Saturday afternoon after falling about 230 feet (70
> >> meters).

> >> Officials at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz confirmed the 56-year-old
> >> Mitchell's death but declined to release his hometown.

> >> Mitchell was riding with one of several tourist agencies that offer
> >> guided trips down the mountain road, which is known for its
> >> breathtaking views, hairpin turns and steep drops.

> >> Bus accidents killed hundreds of Bolivians a year there until a new,
> >> paved highway was opened in 2007.

> >Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.

> He was riding a mountain bike on a mountain road. What part of
> "mountain biking" don't you understand?

Keep in mind Mike claims he wrote a book on mountain biking, he won't
tell us the title of the book, but it probably has trails in it with
names like I-80, US1, Route 322 and Main Street.

> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:06:43 -0700 (PDT), Bruce Jensen
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Apr 24, 9:53 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
>>wrote:
>>> Mike Vandeman blathered:

>>> Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
>>> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

>>Exactly. I'm with you on the small-trail riding, Mike, but
>>c'mon...this is a motor vehicle roadway. Motor vehicles plunge to
>>their deaths here too.

> So you think riding a mountain bike on a mountain road has nothing to
> do with mountain biking? You are weird.

So what damage to the environment was he doing by riding a bike (mountain
bike or whatever) on a road designed for motor vehicles? Would you have
been happier if the unfortunate Mr Mitchell had fallen to his death whilst
hiking?
Get yourself a life and accept that the great outdoors is there for everyone
to enjoy, whether that be on foot or (self powered) two wheels.

On Apr 26, 8:09 am, "Ronnie Guthrie" <ronnieguthrie@h_tmail.com>
wrote:
> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:06:43 -0700 (PDT), Bruce Jensen
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Exactly.  I'm with you on the small-trail riding, Mike, but
> >>c'mon...this is a motor vehicle roadway.  Motor vehicles plunge to
> >>their deaths here too.

> > So you think riding a mountain bike on a mountain road has nothing to
> > do with mountain biking? You are weird.

> So what damage to the environment was he doing by riding a bike (mountain
> bike or whatever) on a road designed for motor vehicles?  Would you have
> been happier if the unfortunate Mr Mitchell had fallen to his death whilst
> hiking?
> Get yourself a life and accept that the great outdoors is there for everyone
> to enjoy, whether that be on foot or (self powered) two wheels.

The only time Mike gets outdoors is when he's walking from long-term
parking to the terminal.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:09:25 +0100, "Ronnie Guthrie"
<ronnieguthrie@h_tmail.com> wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:06:43 -0700 (PDT), Bruce Jensen
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Exactly. I'm with you on the small-trail riding, Mike, but
>>>c'mon...this is a motor vehicle roadway. Motor vehicles plunge to
>>>their deaths here too.

>> So you think riding a mountain bike on a mountain road has nothing to
>> do with mountain biking? You are weird.

>So what damage to the environment was he doing by riding a bike (mountain
>bike or whatever) on a road designed for motor vehicles?

Obviously, he rode off-road. DUH!

Would you have
>been happier if the unfortunate Mr Mitchell had fallen to his death whilst
>hiking?
>Get yourself a life and accept that the great outdoors is there for everyone
>to enjoy, whether that be on foot or (self powered) two wheels.

It's there for everyone to enjoy, but only in an appropriate
(low-impact) way. There is no reason for allowing bicycles off-road,
where they destroy wildlife and wildlife habitat -- something I
predict that you aren't honest enough to admit, but something that is
obvious to everyone else.

>>>Bruce Jensen

>> --
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
>> fond of!
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:48:16 -0700 (PDT), Siskuwihane
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Apr 26, 8:09 am, "Ronnie Guthrie" <ronnieguthrie@h_tmail.com>
>wrote:
>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > So you think riding a mountain bike on a mountain road has nothing to
>> > do with mountain biking? You are weird.

>> So what damage to the environment was he doing by riding a bike (mountain
>> bike or whatever) on a road designed for motor vehicles?  Would you have
>> been happier if the unfortunate Mr Mitchell had fallen to his death whilst
>> hiking?
>> Get yourself a life and accept that the great outdoors is there for everyone
>> to enjoy, whether that be on foot or (self powered) two wheels.

>The only time Mike gets outdoors is when he's walking from long-term
>parking to the terminal.

We psychologists call that "Projection". Obviously, you have more
familiarity with parking than I do, since I don't own a car and since
you work for an airline. DUH!

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:31:54 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>So if I ride my mt. bike on Sonora Pass in the Sierra (a motor vechicle
>route just as the Boliva Highway is, which btw it is a major route for
>vehicular trafic in that country) and die than I died mt. biking.

Yes, and the sooner, the better.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 03:01:00 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:53:44 -0500, Tom Sherman
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Mike Vandeman blathered:

>>> Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.

>> He was riding a mountain bike on a mountain road. What part of
>> "mountain biking" don't you understand?

>Gee Mikey, riding a bicycle on an existing road used by motorized
>passenger vehicles and cargo trucks does a lot of additional damage to
>the environment, right?

Yes, if you run over animals or plants or people. Mitchell, of
course, rode off-road, as you do.