Bolivia's 'Death Road' claims life of U.S. mountain biker

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 03:01:00 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Mike Vandeman wrote:

>>> He was riding a mountain bike on a mountain road. What part of
>>> "mountain biking" don't you understand?

>> Gee Mikey, riding a bicycle on an existing road used by motorized
>> passenger vehicles and cargo trucks does a lot of additional damage to
>> the environment, right?

> Yes, if you run over animals or plants or people. Mitchell, of
> course, rode off-road, as you do.

Yep, lots of carnage of plants, animals and people is caused by ROAD
cyclists. [end sarcasm]

Siskuwihane wrote:
> On Apr 26, 1:05 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:53:44 -0500, Tom Sherman
>>

>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Mike Vandeman blathered:
>>> Dude, the guy was cycling on a ROAD. That is NOT mountain biking.

>> He was riding a mountain bike on a mountain road. What part of
>> "mountain biking" don't you understand?

> Keep in mind Mike claims he wrote a book on mountain biking, he won't
> tell us the title of the book, but it probably has trails in it with
> names like I-80, US1, Route 322 and Main Street.

ROTFLMAO!

>>Exactly. I'm with you on the small-trail riding, Mike, but
>>c'mon...this is a motor vehicle roadway. Motor vehicles plunge to
>>their deaths here too.

> So you think riding a mountain bike on a mountain road has nothing to
> do with mountain biking? You are weird.

You've sunk to a new low, Mike. You advocate that bicycles belong on
pavement, then find an obscure story of a mountain bike being operated on
pavement and blame the mountain bike for the death of the rider. And, you
just dissed a guy that agrees with you that bikes do not belong on the
trail. Good job!

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Unlike Mikey, I actually own a bicycle with knobby tires (Trek 6000) and
> have ridden it (barney like, but that is beside the point) on
> single-track. But then, Mikey lets his obsession with "mountain bikes" get
> in way of any kind of logical thought process.

and you wonder why people get divorced

mk5000

" It's a funny thing about being in love. Sometimes it's easier to tell when
you are than when you aren't. "--Daisy Kenyon:

> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:09:25 +0100, "Ronnie Guthrie"
> <ronnieguthrie@h_tmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> So you think riding a mountain bike on a mountain road has nothing to
>>> do with mountain biking? You are weird.

>>So what damage to the environment was he doing by riding a bike (mountain
>>bike or whatever) on a road designed for motor vehicles?

> Obviously, he rode off-road. DUH!

I think not. Check your facts first Mr Vandeman. He was riding on a "road"
(http://tinyurl.com/2l84y6)

> Would you have
>>been happier if the unfortunate Mr Mitchell had fallen to his death whilst
>>hiking?
>>Get yourself a life and accept that the great outdoors is there for
>>everyone
>>to enjoy, whether that be on foot or (self powered) two wheels.

> It's there for everyone to enjoy, but only in an appropriate
> (low-impact) way. There is no reason for allowing bicycles off-road,
> where they destroy wildlife and wildlife habitat -- something I
> predict that you aren't honest enough to admit, but something that is
> obvious to everyone else.

I agree, we are all responsible for ensuring that we minimise the impact we
all have on wildlife and it's natural habitat, which is why I only ride
'off-road' on designated trails built especially for mountain bikers. For
this privilege I pay an annual membership (at my local trail) or an entry
fee for trails in other areas which is used to support sustainable forestry
and environmental education (http://www.friendsofdalbyforest.org.uk)
As it happens, I've just returned from a most enjoyable ride in Dalby
Forest, where I did see numerous examples of wildlife in their natural
habitat (including a couple of deer).
I like mountain biking, you obviously don't. Stop assuming all
mountain-bikers have no disregard for wildlife and their habitat.

On Apr 26, 9:53 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:48:16 -0700 (PDT), Siskuwihane
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Apr 26, 8:09 am, "Ronnie Guthrie" <ronnieguthrie@h_tmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> So what damage to the environment was he doing by riding a bike (mountain
> >> bike or whatever) on a road designed for motor vehicles?  Would you have
> >> been happier if the unfortunate Mr Mitchell had fallen to his death whilst
> >> hiking?
> >> Get yourself a life and accept that the great outdoors is there for everyone
> >> to enjoy, whether that be on foot or (self powered) two wheels.

> >The only time Mike gets outdoors is when he's walking from long-term
> >parking to the terminal.

> We psychologists call that "Projection". Obviously, you have more
> familiarity with parking than I do, since I don't own a car and since
> you work for an airline. DUH!

Stop lying Michael, I do not work for an airline. Once again you have
to lie.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:26:03 -0700 (PDT), Siskuwihane
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Apr 26, 9:53 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:48:16 -0700 (PDT), Siskuwihane
>>

>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >The only time Mike gets outdoors is when he's walking from long-term
>> >parking to the terminal.

>> We psychologists call that "Projection". Obviously, you have more
>> familiarity with parking than I do, since I don't own a car and since
>> you work for an airline. DUH!

>Stop lying Michael, I do not work for an airline. Once again you have
>to lie.

Every one of your posts is a lie, since you don't use your real name.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:08:55 +0100, "Ronnie Guthrie"
<ronnieguthrie@h_tmail.com> wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:09:25 +0100, "Ronnie Guthrie"
>> <ronnieguthrie@h_tmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>So what damage to the environment was he doing by riding a bike (mountain
>>>bike or whatever) on a road designed for motor vehicles?

>> Obviously, he rode off-road. DUH!

>I think not. Check your facts first Mr Vandeman. He was riding on a "road"
>(http://tinyurl.com/2l84y6)

You guys are INCREDIBLY stupid! How do you think he ended up off-road?
He rode off-road! DUH!

>> Would you have
>>>been happier if the unfortunate Mr Mitchell had fallen to his death whilst
>>>hiking?
>>>Get yourself a life and accept that the great outdoors is there for
>>>everyone
>>>to enjoy, whether that be on foot or (self powered) two wheels.

>> It's there for everyone to enjoy, but only in an appropriate
>> (low-impact) way. There is no reason for allowing bicycles off-road,
>> where they destroy wildlife and wildlife habitat -- something I
>> predict that you aren't honest enough to admit, but something that is
>> obvious to everyone else.
>>

>I agree, we are all responsible for ensuring that we minimise the impact we
>all have on wildlife and it's natural habitat, which is why I only ride
>'off-road' on designated trails built especially for mountain bikers.

That doesn't make it okay! You still accelerate erosion, create
V-shaped ruts, kill small animals & plants on & next to the trail, &
drive wildlife & other trail users out of the parks. There's no such
thing as sustainable mountain biking.

For
>this privilege I pay an annual membership (at my local trail) or an entry
>fee for trails in other areas which is used to support sustainable forestry
>and environmental education (http://www.friendsofdalbyforest.org.uk)
>As it happens, I've just returned from a most enjoyable ride in Dalby
>Forest, where I did see numerous examples of wildlife in their natural
>habitat (including a couple of deer).
>I like mountain biking, you obviously don't. Stop assuming all
>mountain-bikers have no disregard for wildlife and their habitat.

It's true! People who care about wildlife don't run over them with a
mountain bike! That's as plain as the nose on your face.

>> --
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
>> fond of!
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

So Mikey than the logical extension is that I simply need to ride my rode
bike on the trail and I am rode riding, nice logic dipwit.

If you die while having sex wearing hiking boots did you die as a hiker, or
in your case maybe wearing a sheep outfit while having sex you actually died
as a sheep.

Keep the entertainment going, I use to think you were simply a troll and
this was your way to get off since you probably could never get a woman to
sleep with you, but I finally realized you are simply as stupid as you
sound.

Mike Vandeman blathered:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:08:55 +0100, "Ronnie Guthrie"
> <ronnieguthrie@h_tmail.com> wrote:
>

>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Obviously, he rode off-road. DUH!

>> I think not. Check your facts first Mr Vandeman. He was riding on a "road"
>> (http://tinyurl.com/2l84y6)

> You guys are INCREDIBLY stupid! How do you think he ended up off-road?
> He rode off-road! DUH!

No dude, the deceased was out of control once he left the road. Whether
or not he remained in physical contact with the bicycle after going over
the cliff, he was not riding the bicycle at that point. Furthermore, the
deceased was not intending to leave the road unless he was planning to
kill himself.

What happened is not riding off road. DUH!

On Apr 27, 1:27 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:26:03 -0700 (PDT), Siskuwihane
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Apr 26, 9:53 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> We psychologists call that "Projection". Obviously, you have more
> >> familiarity with parking than I do, since I don't own a car and since
> >> you work for an airline. DUH!

> >Stop lying Michael, I do not work for an airline. Once again you have
> >to lie.

> Every one of your posts is a lie, since you don't use your real name.

Stop lying Michael J. Vandeman. You were too lazy to follow your own
advice and do your own research.
Now you lie and say I work for an airline. Your credibilty is as dead
as your cat that you let die.

On Apr 26, 9:54 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:31:54 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
> >So if I ride my mt. bike on Sonora Pass in the Sierra (a motor vechicle
> >route just as the Boliva Highway is, which btw it is a major route for
> >vehicular trafic in that country) and die than I died mt. biking.

> Yes, and the sooner, the better.

So Mike wishes hard upon another cycist yet will later claim he has
never done so as he has claimed in the past he hasn't nor would.
Another false statement.

>>We psychologists call that "Projection". Obviously, you have more

familiarity with parking than I do, since I don't own a car and since
you work for an airline. DUH!

What the hell Mike. "WE PSYCHOLOGIST"...you are now stating you are a
psychologist? I suppose you wrote a book on that also. you aren't a
psychologist you freak...you have a degree in dietary services
basically.

so let's put your real studies to test! How many cups of sugar do I
use in this apple pie I am making?

>You guys are INCREDIBLY stupid! How do you think he ended up off-road?
?He rode off-road! DUH!

Actually you're the one that is tarded. The roads are narrow...no room
for error. blind corners, etc. this happens all the time. You're just
an idiot. Like I said...take a flyover of the area next time.

> Every one of your posts is a lie, since you don't use your real name.

when did they write the law(s) that require using real names and or telling
the truth on usenet.

"It must be true I heard it on the internet"

mk5000

Haley James: Remembering what?
Nathan Scott: Your hair. You wore it that way the first day you tutored me.
Haley James: You remember how I wore my hair the first day I tutored you?
Nathan Scott: Of course.
Haley James: What else do you remember?
Nathan Scott: I remember the ugly-ass poncho that you wore. --One Tree Hill

marika wrote:

> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> Every one of your posts is a lie, since you don't use your real name.

> when did they write the law(s) that require using real names and or
> telling the truth on usenet.

It all goes to accountability and therefore credibility - if a sock
puppet becomes discredited, it can be tossed for a new one.

On Apr 27, 12:34 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> marika wrote:
>
> > "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> Every one of your posts is a lie, since you don't use your real name.

> > when did they write the law(s) that require using real names and or
> > telling the truth on usenet.

> It all goes to accountability and therefore credibility - if a sock
> puppet becomes discredited, it can be tossed for a new one.

Mike uses his real name and has ZERO credibilty.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> marika wrote:
>>
>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

>>> Every one of your posts is a lie, since you don't use your real name.

>> when did they write the law(s) that require using real names and or
>> telling the truth on usenet.
>>

> It all goes to accountability and therefore credibility - if a sock puppet
> becomes discredited, it can be tossed for a new one.
>
> --

Mike uses his real name, and still lies. Can we toss him out for new one?

Siskuwihane wrote:
> On Apr 27, 12:34 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> marika wrote:
>>
>>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> when did they write the law(s) that require using real names and or
>>> telling the truth on usenet.

>> It all goes to accountability and therefore credibility - if a sock
>> puppet becomes discredited, it can be tossed for a new one.

> Mike uses his real name and has ZERO credibilty.

The scary part is that Mikey V. probably believes on what he is posting,
unlike some anonymous trolls whose intent is to stir things up.

On Apr 27, 3:22 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Mike Vandeman blathered:
>

> > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:08:55 +0100, "Ronnie Guthrie"
> > <ronnieguthrie@h_tmail.com> wrote:

> >> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> I think not.  Check your facts first Mr Vandeman.  He was riding ona "road"
> >> (http://tinyurl.com/2l84y6)

> > You guys are INCREDIBLY stupid! How do you think he ended up off-road?
> > He rode off-road! DUH!

> No dude, the deceased was out of control once he left the road. Whether
> or not he remained in physical contact with the bicycle after going over
> the cliff, he was not riding the bicycle at that point. Furthermore, the
> deceased was not intending to leave the road unless he was planning to
> kill himself.
>
> What happened is not riding off road. DUH!

The report I read said

"On Monday, Kenneth Mitchell, 56, of Fullerton, California, died when
he tumbled from his bicycle and fell over a cliff along the highway."

That would make him a hiker since he wasn't on his bike at the time of
going over the cliff.

Another cyclist was killed (same article) on the paved section on
Thursday, so much for the health benefits of road biking.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24311931/