bolt grease ????

swimmeronwheels

Oct 9, 2003
I'm a newbie to this and I'm going to be changing the pedals on my bike. I plan to grease the threads as every bicycle maintenance/repair thing I've read suggests.

But, What kind of grease should I use? Is it the same for any threaded bolt I mess with?

Thanks.

Originally posted by swimmeronwheels
I'm a newbie to this and I'm going to be changing the pedals on my bike. I plan to grease the threads as every bicycle maintenance/repair thing I've read suggests.

But, What kind of grease should I use? Is it the same for any threaded bolt I mess with?

Thanks.

There are tons of bicycle greases out there. I just bought a tube of Phil Wood waterproof grease but I've used Pedro's synthetic in the past. Good job on knowing to grease!!

Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
There are tons of bicycle greases out there. I just bought a tube of Phil Wood waterproof grease but I've used Pedro's synthetic in the past. Good job on knowing to grease!!

It should be the grease like for bearings ... not the lube like for the chain?

I use Loctite blue, as recommended by my mechanic, on all bolts. It also worked great on my bathtub faucet that constantly loosened.

Thanks.

Try the pedro's syn lube. It works really well and is available at just about any bike shop.

You have all validated my question. Apparently all three options are in use:

A) silicone adhesive
B) grease, thickish
C) lube, suitable for a chain

I'm picking B. If I have trouble with something loosening in the first place, then I'll consider silicone adhesive. And lube would probably wear off, out sooner than the grease. That's just my guess.

Nobody combines grease & adhesive, do they? That seems self defeating (unless the grease saves the threads and the adhesive holds it all together later).

I won't even ask about tightening ... I've read some say no need to over-tighten while others want them as tight as possible (plus adhesive) ... we'll see. I can always check that they aren't loose periodically.

You have all validated my question. Apparently all three options are in use:

A) silicone adhesive
B) grease, thickish
C) lube, suitable for a chain
I prefer a graphite grease. It seems to offer longer protection against galling and seizing than pure grease.

I Nobody combines grease & adhesive, do they? .
I really wouldn't think so. Maybe someone has tried to smear adhesive around a bolt to keep the grease in place? :)

I won't even ask about tightening ... I've read some say no need to over-tighten while others want them as tight as possible (plus adhesive) ... we'll see. I can always check that they aren't loose periodically.
Pedals are designed so that they tighten themselves as you ride (remember the left-hand thread on one of them..) I've frequently had trouble getting them off, but never to get them to stay in place. Cranks are a different story though...

Originally posted by dabac
I prefer a graphite grease. It seems to offer longer protection against galling and seizing than pure grease.

I started using Permatex Anti-Seize on pedal, BB, and crank bolt threads a few months ago. I wasn't having much success with the mountain bike BB and road bike crank bolts staying tight with Pedro's Syn-Grease. The Anti-Seize is working better. However, the riding season here is basically over until April, so I really won't know just how well it works for quite a while yet.

I'm going to use it as spoke prep on the next wheelset too. You can find it at every decent auto parts store around for only $2.99 per tube. Anti-Seize isn't much of a lubricant though. Until I run out of the stuff, I'll continue using the Syn-Grease on those parts that are actually supposed to be moving.