Bolt-on kid's bikes

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Daveb, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Daveb

    Daveb Guest

    My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my mountain bike so I was
    thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.

    1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites without seeign any?

    2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My daughter is 4 but doesn't
    ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled one anyway)?

    3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?

    Dave B.

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    A link via Sheldon Brown:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/trailrcy.html

    The trailers you are looking for are referred to as Alleycat or Tagalong trailers (ie: by the brand) Most (good) local bike shops should be able to assist you with further info.
    Hope this helps.

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    > My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my mountain bike so I was
    > thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.
    >
    > 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites without seeign any?
    >
    > 2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My daughter is 4 but doesn't
    > ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled one anyway)?
    >
    > 3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?
    >
    > Dave B.

    "Trailer bike" may be the term you're looking for.

    I got one for my son (when he was 4, is now 5) and he enjoys it immensely, especially with dad going
    uphill and telling me to "go faster" :( One day he'll understand physics a bit better :)

    The only real downside is you are susceptible to a bit of untoward steerage from the kid moving
    sideways on the trailer given the high mounting point, then again I've never tried the kiddie seat
    and they may impose a similar effect....

    My son is still getting himself sorted on his own bike, but is 100% confident on the trailer.

    Oh another upside is you can feel the contribution from the rearmost drive at times and you *know*
    they are enjoying it when they are putting in :)

    I got mine for ~$230 - simple freewheel - no gears. Never regretted it.

    Cheers Ray

  4. Baka Dasai

    Baka Dasai Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:57:22 +1100, DaveB said (and I quote):
    > My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my mountain bike so I was
    > thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.
    >
    > 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites without seeign any?

    Trailer bike.

    > 2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My daughter is 4 but doesn't
    > ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled one anyway)?

    No riding experience necessary, and 4 years old is about right. When you first get it, take a solo
    run around an empty car park or something similar, to get a feel for the increased turning circle.
    Then add your child. They don't need to do much other than sit - it's very easy for them.

    > 3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?

    They're fun.

    The two main brands appear to be Adams and Burley. I have an Adams. It is cheaper than the Burley,
    but apparently not as good according to people who have used both. Nevertheless, I have used mine
    with my daughter for the last 4 years (from age 5 to 8), and it has worked well and I've been happy
    with it. It's been a major part of our everyday transport. It's quick and easy to
    connect/disconnect, although I think it has developed a bit of play in the coupling mechanism.

    The Burley apparently has better handling, and doesn't develop play. If you think you're going to do
    a lot of miles with it, you may as well invest in the Burley.
    --
    A: Top-posters.
    B: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

  5. Clayton Lee

    Clayton Lee Guest

    "Baka Dasai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > A: Top-posters.
    > Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

    Just a query, completely OT, and I know it is just a joke, but what is not to like about top
    posting? If I have read a thread from the start, I find it highly convienient. SB

  6. Claude

    Claude Guest

    Me too. I'd also like to know why some people are so committed to bottom posting

    "Clayton Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au...

    > "Baka Dasai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > --
    > > A: Top-posters.
    > > Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?
    >
    > Just a query, completely OT, and I know it is just a joke, but what is not to like about top
    > posting? If I have read a thread from the start, I find it highly convienient. SB

  7. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003

  8. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Trailer bike" may be the term you're looking for.
    >
    > I got one for my son (when he was 4, is now 5) and he enjoys it immensely, especially with dad
    > going uphill and telling me to "go faster" :( One day he'll understand physics a bit better :)

    Happy New Year, all. I was off the 'net for a while but I'm back.

    Perhaps, Ray, your son will understand "physical" a bit better?

  9. Baka Dasai

    Baka Dasai Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:01:46 GMT, Clayton Lee said (and I quote):
    > Just a query, completely OT, and I know it is just a joke, but what is not to like about top
    > posting? If I have read a thread from the start, I find it highly convienient.

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

  10. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Claude" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Me too. I'd also like to know why some people are so committed to bottom posting

    because its called netiquette. Doesnt matter wheter you top or bottom post as long as everyone does
    it the same way each time. Otherwise a long thread would get a tad confusing. If everyone top posted
    that would be fine too. The thing is a majority wanted bottom posting. Its not to bad. When you
    press Reply to the email just hit CTRL-END. You will be navigated to the end of the thread where you
    can add your comments. No mess No Fuss. Just 2 keys. A lot of people will just ignore posts by top
    posters. My personal preference would have been top posting but them the breaks. Democracy rules and
    without the rules we get chaos.

  11. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:30:37 +0000, Baka Dasai wrote:

    > The Burley apparently has better handling, and doesn't develop play. If you think you're going to
    > do a lot of miles with it, you may as well invest in the Burley.

    They seem a bit hard to track down. The Burley website says Greenspeed is the Austrailian importer.
    One of our LBSs has the pacific trailer, 5-speed at $350. I'm fairly sure I saw a single-speed for
    $300 in the bike shop in Darby street Newcastle.

    I've yet to find anyone who sells the Burley Piccolo, nor any notion of what a local price might be.

    -kt

  12. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:51:29 +0000, Claude wrote:

    > Me too. I'd also like to know why some people are so committed to bottom posting

    Well the idea is to remove the non-relevant parts of the message before replying. Top posters
    typically quote the whole message.

    -kt

  13. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    WHAT ABOUT TOP AND BOTTOM POSTERS

    HMMM???

  14. Marc_9

    Marc_9 Guest

    Try this address for more info on Pacific trailer bicycles for kids:
    http://www.mbcbikes.com.au/enter.html?target=ACCESSORIESChild_CarriersTag_a_Longs.html Regards marc

    kingsley <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:30:37 +0000, Baka Dasai wrote:
    >
    > > The Burley apparently has better handling, and doesn't develop play. If you think you're going
    > > to do a lot of miles with it, you may as well invest in the Burley.
    >
    > They seem a bit hard to track down. The Burley website says Greenspeed is the Austrailian
    > importer. One of our LBSs has the pacific trailer, 5-speed at $350. I'm fairly sure I saw a single-
    > speed for $300 in the bike shop in Darby street Newcastle.
    >
    > I've yet to find anyone who sells the Burley Piccolo, nor any notion of what a local price
    > might be.
    >
    > -kt

  15. Homegame

    Homegame Guest

    > 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites without seeign any?

    Hey Dave

    I was just looking at "Giant's" website for the kids bikes range and saw this.

    http://www.giant-
    bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2004&bikesection=8795&range=61&model=9780

    I guess if the url wraps you'll need to copy the extra in too.

    Homie

  16. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    HomeGame wrote:
    > I guess if the url wraps you'll need to copy the extra in too.
    >
    > Homie

    Did you know you can use TinyURL to prevent this problem? See www.tinyurl.com

    HTH,

    &roo

  17. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:17:47 +1100, Andrew Swan wrote:

    > HomeGame wrote:
    >> I guess if the url wraps you'll need to copy the extra in too.
    >>
    >> Homie
    >
    > Did you know you can use TinyURL to prevent this problem? See www.tinyurl.com

    Yeah, but just be sure to post the full URL AND the TinyURL. That way when Tiny URL goes broke and
    all the references in the archives become dead, you can still get through to the page in question.

    -kt