Bolt-on kid's bikes

Daveb

Guest
My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my mountain bike so I was
thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.

1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites without seeign any?

2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My daughter is 4 but doesn't
ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled one anyway)?

3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?

Dave B.

> My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my mountain bike so I was
> thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.
>
> 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites without seeign any?
>
> 2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My daughter is 4 but doesn't
> ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled one anyway)?
>
> 3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?
>
> Dave B.

"Trailer bike" may be the term you're looking for.

I got one for my son (when he was 4, is now 5) and he enjoys it immensely, especially with dad going
uphill and telling me to "go faster" :( One day he'll understand physics a bit better :)

The only real downside is you are susceptible to a bit of untoward steerage from the kid moving
sideways on the trailer given the high mounting point, then again I've never tried the kiddie seat
and they may impose a similar effect....

My son is still getting himself sorted on his own bike, but is 100% confident on the trailer.

Oh another upside is you can feel the contribution from the rearmost drive at times and you *know*
they are enjoying it when they are putting in :)

I got mine for ~$230 - simple freewheel - no gears. Never regretted it.

Cheers Ray

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:57:22 +1100, DaveB said (and I quote):
> My daughter is getting a bit big for the child seat on the back of my mountain bike so I was
> thinking of moving up to one of those kid's bikes that bolt on to the back of an adult's bike.
>
> 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites without seeign any?

Trailer bike.

> 2, What sort of age and riding experience do kids need to use them. My daughter is 4 but doesn't
> ride a bike of her own (well nto a 2 wheeled one anyway)?

No riding experience necessary, and 4 years old is about right. When you first get it, take a solo
run around an empty car park or something similar, to get a feel for the increased turning circle.
Then add your child. They don't need to do much other than sit - it's very easy for them.

> 3, Is there anything that you need to be warned about them?

They're fun.

The two main brands appear to be Adams and Burley. I have an Adams. It is cheaper than the Burley,
but apparently not as good according to people who have used both. Nevertheless, I have used mine
with my daughter for the last 4 years (from age 5 to 8), and it has worked well and I've been happy
with it. It's been a major part of our everyday transport. It's quick and easy to
connect/disconnect, although I think it has developed a bit of play in the coupling mechanism.

The Burley apparently has better handling, and doesn't develop play. If you think you're going to do
a lot of miles with it, you may as well invest in the Burley.
--
A: Top-posters.
B: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

"Baka Dasai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> A: Top-posters.
> Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

Just a query, completely OT, and I know it is just a joke, but what is not to like about top
posting? If I have read a thread from the start, I find it highly convienient. SB

Me too. I'd also like to know why some people are so committed to bottom posting

"Clayton Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_M6Tb.38717$Wa.17903@news-
server.bigpond.net.au...

> "Baka Dasai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > --
> > A: Top-posters.
> > Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?
>
> Just a query, completely OT, and I know it is just a joke, but what is not to like about top
> posting? If I have read a thread from the start, I find it highly convienient. SB

Originally posted by Claude
Me too. I'd also like to know why some people are so committed to bottom posting

I haven't seen a good 'bottom posting' since highschool. Not real good for the goolies! :D

"Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Trailer bike" may be the term you're looking for.
>
> I got one for my son (when he was 4, is now 5) and he enjoys it immensely, especially with dad
> going uphill and telling me to "go faster" :( One day he'll understand physics a bit better :)

Happy New Year, all. I was off the 'net for a while but I'm back.

Perhaps, Ray, your son will understand "physical" a bit better?

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:01:46 GMT, Clayton Lee said (and I quote):
> Just a query, completely OT, and I know it is just a joke, but what is not to like about top
> posting? If I have read a thread from the start, I find it highly convienient.

A: Top-posters.

"Claude" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Me too. I'd also like to know why some people are so committed to bottom posting

because its called netiquette. Doesnt matter wheter you top or bottom post as long as everyone does
it the same way each time. Otherwise a long thread would get a tad confusing. If everyone top posted
that would be fine too. The thing is a majority wanted bottom posting. Its not to bad. When you
press Reply to the email just hit CTRL-END. You will be navigated to the end of the thread where you
can add your comments. No mess No Fuss. Just 2 keys. A lot of people will just ignore posts by top
posters. My personal preference would have been top posting but them the breaks. Democracy rules and
without the rules we get chaos.

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:30:37 +0000, Baka Dasai wrote:

> The Burley apparently has better handling, and doesn't develop play. If you think you're going to
> do a lot of miles with it, you may as well invest in the Burley.

They seem a bit hard to track down. The Burley website says Greenspeed is the Austrailian importer.
One of our LBSs has the pacific trailer, 5-speed at $350. I'm fairly sure I saw a single-speed for
$300 in the bike shop in Darby street Newcastle.

I've yet to find anyone who sells the Burley Piccolo, nor any notion of what a local price might be.

-kt

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:51:29 +0000, Claude wrote:

> Me too. I'd also like to know why some people are so committed to bottom posting

Well the idea is to remove the non-relevant parts of the message before replying. Top posters
typically quote the whole message.

-kt

WHAT ABOUT TOP AND BOTTOM POSTERS

Originally posted by Kingsley
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:51:29 +0000, Claude wrote:

> Me too. I'd also like to know why some people are so committed to bottom posting

Well the idea is to remove the non-relevant parts of the message before replying. Top posters
typically quote the whole message.

-kt

HMMM???

Try this address for more info on Pacific trailer bicycles for kids:
http://www.mbcbikes.com.au/enter.html?target=ACCESSORIESChild_CarriersTag_a_Longs.html Regards marc

kingsley <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:30:37 +0000, Baka Dasai wrote:
>
> > The Burley apparently has better handling, and doesn't develop play. If you think you're going
> > to do a lot of miles with it, you may as well invest in the Burley.
>
> They seem a bit hard to track down. The Burley website says Greenspeed is the Austrailian
> importer. One of our LBSs has the pacific trailer, 5-speed at $350. I'm fairly sure I saw a single-
> speed for $300 in the bike shop in Darby street Newcastle.
>
> I've yet to find anyone who sells the Burley Piccolo, nor any notion of what a local price
> might be.
>
> -kt

> 1, What are they called, because I've browsed some of the online sites without seeign any?

Hey Dave

I was just looking at "Giant's" website for the kids bikes range and saw this.

http://www.giant-
bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2004&bikesection=8795&range=61&model=9780

I guess if the url wraps you'll need to copy the extra in too.

Homie

HomeGame wrote:
> I guess if the url wraps you'll need to copy the extra in too.
>
> Homie

Did you know you can use TinyURL to prevent this problem? See www.tinyurl.com

HTH,

&roo

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:17:47 +1100, Andrew Swan wrote:

> HomeGame wrote:
>> I guess if the url wraps you'll need to copy the extra in too.
>>
>> Homie
>
> Did you know you can use TinyURL to prevent this problem? See www.tinyurl.com

Yeah, but just be sure to post the full URL AND the TinyURL. That way when Tiny URL goes broke and
all the references in the archives become dead, you can still get through to the page in question.

-kt