bolts

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Edd, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Edd

    Edd Guest

    I'm wanting to replace various bolts on my tri bars, what do I measure to work out whether they are
    M4, M5, M10 etc. e.g. what will be the expected diameter for an M4 bolt.

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Edd Shackley writes:

    > I'm wanting to replace various bolts on my tri bars, what do I measure to work out whether they
    > are M4, M5, M10 etc. e.g. what will be the expected diameter for an M4 bolt.

    The M indicates a metric screw whose diameter in mm is the designation. The thread is given
    in mm pitch.

    Given only M4 the default pitch is assumed but you could have an M4x0.7 or M4x0.5

  3. Any store that sells machinist tools (and many hardware stores) have charts and cards that have the
    common screw/thread sizes on them. As well as major diameters and drill/tap sizes.

  4. Edd <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I'm wanting to replace various bolts on my tri bars, what do I measure to work out whether they
    : are M4, M5, M10 etc. e.g. what will be the expected diameter for an M4 bolt.

    To clarify, 'M4' means metric 4mm (millimetres). Generally metric bolts and nuts are sized in whole
    increments, ie, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, etc so you don't need high precision to gauge them. So, to
    size a bolt, simply measure the nominal diameter of the thread. Why not take one of each bolt to a
    place that sells metric fasteners and get the assistant to match them?

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  5. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Edd <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : I'm wanting to replace various bolts on my tri bars, what do I measure to work out whether they
    > : are M4, M5, M10 etc. e.g. what will be the expected diameter for an M4 bolt.
    >
    > To clarify, 'M4' means metric 4mm (millimetres). Generally metric bolts and nuts are sized in
    > whole increments, ie, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, etc so you don't need high precision to gauge
    > them. So, to size a bolt, simply measure the nominal diameter of the thread. Why not take one of
    > each bolt to a place that sells metric fasteners and get the assistant to match them?
    >
    > Cheerz, Lynzz

    That way you would also get the correct lengths. Your bolts are probably metric course, but make
    sure the replacement is the same pitch, by laying the threads together and looking through the
    interface toward a light or bright surface. As you probably know, with SAE threads the higher the
    number after the diameter the finer the pitch. Such as a ¼ - 28 is finer than a ¼ - 20, but w/
    metric the higher the # aft. the dia. the courser the pitch. The 2nd # with metric is the actual
    dimension from thread to thread in mm. So an M4-.5, is 0.5 mm from thread to thread and is finer
    than an M4-.7 Hope this helps John.