Bomber fork oil weight

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Greg Marshall, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey folks,

Time to rebuild my fork (98 bomber Z1) and get it ready for the spring, and I just happen to have a
    bottle of 20 weight fork oil in the parts drawer. I know the stock oil in these forks is 7.5, but
    would 20 work? Has anyone run such a heavy oil in there bomber? I'm a bigger guy, and have always
    felt the forks damping was a bit quick, so maybe this is the ticket?

Let me know if you've tried this.

Thanks.

Greg.

Tags:

2. Greg Marshall wrote:

> Hey folks,
    >
    > Time to rebuild my fork (98 bomber Z1) and get it ready for the spring, and I just happen to have
    > a bottle of 20 weight fork oil in the parts drawer. I know the stock oil in these forks is 7.5,
    > but would 20 work? Has anyone run such a heavy oil in there bomber? I'm a bigger guy, and have
    > always felt the forks damping was a bit quick, so maybe this is the ticket?
    >
    > Let me know if you've tried this.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Greg.

That sounds pretty thick. If you want reallllllly slow rebound it might work. Marzocchi recommends
    7.5, 5 if you want faster rebound, and 10 if you want slow.

3. "Greg Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > Time to rebuild my fork (98 bomber Z1) and get it ready for the spring, and I just happen to have
    > a bottle of 20 weight fork oil in the parts drawer. I know the stock oil in these forks is 7.5,
    > but would 20 work? Has anyone run such a heavy oil in there bomber? I'm a bigger guy, and have
    > always felt the forks damping was a bit quick, so maybe this is the ticket?
    >
    > Let me know if you've tried this.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Greg.
    >

Yikes 20wt,

I used 5wt in my Z1 and can't say I could tell the difference. You can probably pick up some 5 or
    10wt at a motorcycle shop for @ $6. You'll pay $$$ buying the Marz 7.5wt and you'll be waiting for a
    week for that fork to rebound with 20wt! maybe not.
    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

4. I have some BMW 7.5 wt fork oil I got to refill my old Manitou TPC unit. It doesn't say
    anything about seal swellers. Has anyone used this? When I bought it from the motorcycle shop
    they didn't have any of the brands I was looking for and the guy said he used this in all of
    his MTB forks before.

What do you think? GP "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > "Greg Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey folks,
    > >
    > > Time to rebuild my fork (98 bomber Z1) and get it ready for the spring, and I just happen to
    > > have a bottle of 20 weight fork oil in the parts drawer. I know the stock oil in these forks is
    > > 7.5, but would 20 work? Has anyone run such a heavy oil in there bomber? I'm a bigger guy, and
    > > have always felt the forks damping was a bit quick, so maybe this is the ticket?
    > >
    > > Let me know if you've tried this.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Greg.
    > >
    >
    > Yikes 20wt,
    >
    > I used 5wt in my Z1 and can't say I could tell the difference. You can probably pick up some 5 or
    > 10wt at a motorcycle shop for @ $6. You'll pay $$$ buying the Marz 7.5wt and you'll be waiting for
    > a week for that fork
    to
    > rebound with 20wt! maybe not.
    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...

5. Sorni

Sorni Guest

"George L. Porter, IV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I have some BMW 7.5 wt fork oil I got to refill my old Manitou TPC unit.
    It
    > doesn't say anything about seal swellers. Has anyone used this? When I bought it from the
    > motorcycle shop they didn't have any of the brands I
    was
    > looking for and the guy said he used this in all of his MTB forks before.
    >
    > What do you think? GP

I think your fork will be fine with this oil.

You, however, will experience "inside-out porcupine syndrome" after it's installed.

Bill "OK, it's an OOOOLLLLLLLDDDDD joke" S.

6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I have some BMW 7.5 wt fork oil I got to refill my old Manitou TPC unit. It doesn't say
    > anything about seal swellers. Has anyone used this? When I bought it from the motorcycle shop
    > they didn't have any of the brands I was looking for and the guy said he used this in all of
    > his MTB forks before.
    >
    > What do you think? GP

Your fork will work fine, you will however be flogged for using yuppie oil and/or asked where your
    2.3 kids are and what time your job on Wall Street starts.

--

7. Come on...I went looking for Golden Spectro 7.5 but they didn't have any. Look at the Marzocchi
    website and they make forks for BMW motorcycles. It's not that bad...

I think it was about 8 bux a quart instead of 20 bux a pint. I guess I will have to live with the
    dirty looks for a while.

Thanks for the info GP "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > I have some BMW 7.5 wt fork oil I got to refill my old Manitou TPC unit.
    It
    > > doesn't say anything about seal swellers. Has anyone used this? When I bought it from the
    > > motorcycle shop they didn't have any of the brands I
    was
    > > looking for and the guy said he used this in all of his MTB forks
    before.
    > >
    > > What do you think? GP
    >
    > Your fork will work fine, you will however be flogged for using yuppie oil and/or asked where your
    > 2.3 kids are and what time your job on Wall Street starts.
    >
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.