Bomber fork oil weight

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Greg Marshall, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Hey folks,

    Time to rebuild my fork (98 bomber Z1) and get it ready for the spring, and I just happen to have a
    bottle of 20 weight fork oil in the parts drawer. I know the stock oil in these forks is 7.5, but
    would 20 work? Has anyone run such a heavy oil in there bomber? I'm a bigger guy, and have always
    felt the forks damping was a bit quick, so maybe this is the ticket?

    Let me know if you've tried this.

    Thanks.

    Greg.

    Tags:

  2. Greg Marshall wrote:

    > Hey folks,
    >
    > Time to rebuild my fork (98 bomber Z1) and get it ready for the spring, and I just happen to have
    > a bottle of 20 weight fork oil in the parts drawer. I know the stock oil in these forks is 7.5,
    > but would 20 work? Has anyone run such a heavy oil in there bomber? I'm a bigger guy, and have
    > always felt the forks damping was a bit quick, so maybe this is the ticket?
    >
    > Let me know if you've tried this.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Greg.

    That sounds pretty thick. If you want reallllllly slow rebound it might work. Marzocchi recommends
    7.5, 5 if you want faster rebound, and 10 if you want slow.

  3. "Greg Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > Time to rebuild my fork (98 bomber Z1) and get it ready for the spring, and I just happen to have
    > a bottle of 20 weight fork oil in the parts drawer. I know the stock oil in these forks is 7.5,
    > but would 20 work? Has anyone run such a heavy oil in there bomber? I'm a bigger guy, and have
    > always felt the forks damping was a bit quick, so maybe this is the ticket?
    >
    > Let me know if you've tried this.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Greg.

    Yikes 20wt,

    I used 5wt in my Z1 and can't say I could tell the difference. You can probably pick up some 5 or
    10wt at a motorcycle shop for @ $6. You'll pay $$$ buying the Marz 7.5wt and you'll be waiting for a
    week for that fork to rebound with 20wt! maybe not.
    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  4. I have some BMW 7.5 wt fork oil I got to refill my old Manitou TPC unit. It doesn't say
    anything about seal swellers. Has anyone used this? When I bought it from the motorcycle shop
    they didn't have any of the brands I was looking for and the guy said he used this in all of
    his MTB forks before.

    What do you think? GP "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Greg Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey folks,
    > >
    > > Time to rebuild my fork (98 bomber Z1) and get it ready for the spring, and I just happen to
    > > have a bottle of 20 weight fork oil in the parts drawer. I know the stock oil in these forks is
    > > 7.5, but would 20 work? Has anyone run such a heavy oil in there bomber? I'm a bigger guy, and
    > > have always felt the forks damping was a bit quick, so maybe this is the ticket?
    > >
    > > Let me know if you've tried this.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Greg.
    > >

    > Yikes 20wt,
    >
    > I used 5wt in my Z1 and can't say I could tell the difference. You can probably pick up some 5 or
    > 10wt at a motorcycle shop for @ $6. You'll pay $$$ buying the Marz 7.5wt and you'll be waiting for
    > a week for that fork
    > rebound with 20wt! maybe not.
    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "George L. Porter, IV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have some BMW 7.5 wt fork oil I got to refill my old Manitou TPC unit.
    It
    > doesn't say anything about seal swellers. Has anyone used this? When I bought it from the
    > motorcycle shop they didn't have any of the brands I
    was
    > looking for and the guy said he used this in all of his MTB forks before.
    >
    > What do you think? GP

    I think your fork will be fine with this oil.

    You, however, will experience "inside-out porcupine syndrome" after it's installed.

    Bill "OK, it's an OOOOLLLLLLLDDDDD joke" S.

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I have some BMW 7.5 wt fork oil I got to refill my old Manitou TPC unit. It doesn't say
    > anything about seal swellers. Has anyone used this? When I bought it from the motorcycle shop
    > they didn't have any of the brands I was looking for and the guy said he used this in all of
    > his MTB forks before.
    >
    > What do you think? GP

    Your fork will work fine, you will however be flogged for using yuppie oil and/or asked where your
    2.3 kids are and what time your job on Wall Street starts.

    --

  7. Come on...I went looking for Golden Spectro 7.5 but they didn't have any. Look at the Marzocchi
    website and they make forks for BMW motorcycles. It's not that bad...

    I think it was about 8 bux a quart instead of 20 bux a pint. I guess I will have to live with the
    dirty looks for a while.