Bonded alum frame, any benefit to carbon fork?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug, May 18, 2003.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Hey all,

    I'm currently running a bonded aluminum Trek road frame with an aluminum fork. As those in the know
    know, these are great riding frames, the poor man's carbon fiber.

    But I'm curious about what a carbon fork would do, I can always enjoy a smoother ride. Weight
    savings is a minor to unimportant consideration, stiffness for climbing and sprinting an added bonus
    but not critical.

    Anyone with before and after experience going from an Al to carbon fork on a bonded frame? Or steel
    to carbon anyway? What are you experiences after some serious use?

    Thanks, Doug

    Tags:

  2. The fork material makes no difference whatsoever to ride. This stuff is all myth. If you want a
    smoother ride get softer fatter tyres.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Doug <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hey all,
    >
    >I'm currently running a bonded aluminum Trek road frame with an aluminum fork. As those in the know
    >know, these are great riding frames, the poor man's carbon fiber.
    >
    >But I'm curious about what a carbon fork would do, I can always enjoy a smoother ride. Weight
    >savings is a minor to unimportant consideration, stiffness for climbing and sprinting an added
    >bonus but not critical.
    >
    >Anyone with before and after experience going from an Al to carbon fork on a bonded frame? Or steel
    >to carbon anyway? What are you experiences after some serious use?

    I doubt you'll find much difference other than weight.

    There are major variations in stiffness of both aluminum and carbon fiber forks. Some are quite
    noodly compared to steel.

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The fork material makes no difference whatsoever to ride. This stuff is
    all
    > myth. If you want a smoother ride get softer fatter tyres.

    If that's the case, why do my hands "buzz" more when I'm riding my 'cross bike with a steel fork?
    Same wheels/tires, same inflation, same roads. Less vibration comes through to the bars with
    carbon forks.

    There's a difference. It may be subtle, but it is there.

    Mike

  5. Warren

    Warren Guest

    Doug <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone with before and after experience going from an Al to carbon fork

    The Kinesis Crosslight fork I had would make my hands numb and fall asleep with 10 miles of riding.
    I now have a Sintema Muddy carbon fork and have no hand comfort issues on 50+ mile rides.

    Warren