bone pain below the knee

stevechow

Mar 11, 2006
i changed to a new shoe 1 week ago. last two days i had pains on my bone at the tongue of the shoe, the tongue which helps to pull in your feet. it's very painful. i think maybe it's because of the ratchet i used and too tight. i released the ratchet to very loose and it reliefs the pain. this on my left foot. i don't feel any pain on my other foot. what is the cause and what can i do to prevent it. when i pressed on the hole of flesh at the bone i can feel the pain. exact it's not the bone it's at the hollow/flesh after the bone.

Cao
The crazy cyclist

Could be an inflamed tendon in the foot. Could be a problem with the plantar fascia. You could even have a small stress fracture causing the pain. Or, you could have misaligned the cleat on your shoe when you installed it. If it is a medical condition - get it checked by someone who is competent. If it is a shoe problem, visit your LBS. They can help.

sounds like you compressed the tendons running to your feet too much with the rachet system. If it hurts to dorsiflex your foot (pointing your toes back towards your head) id say thats what you did. chances are some rest and maybe some anti-inflamatorys if needed should get the job done

A similar thing happened to Mark Scanlon (Irish pro a few years ago) when he changed shoes. The top rachet was too high up and when tight it affected a tendon. He cured it by changing brands and going with a shoe that had a velcro strap which was located a bit further down.

Speaking of shoes, id never aligned my cleats myself. I learnt the hard way. Have them pro fitted (personally fitted for you). Made the world of difference but im just a newbie overcoming joint issues and ITBS. Id also recommend starting with standard pedals, then straps, then clipless.