Bonked :(

Status

Elyob

Guest
Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some Chow Mein. I thought that was
being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint, some stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after
half an hour. That usually when I'm getting into my stride. Is the lack of beer and hangover a bad
thing on a cold, windy Sunday?

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some
Chow
> Mein. I thought that was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint,
some
> stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after half an hour. That usually
when
> I'm getting into my stride. Is the lack of beer and hangover a bad thing
on
> a cold, windy Sunday?

Most people are quite chuffed to bonk, especially after only half an hour. What was she like?

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some
Chow
> Mein. I thought that was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint,
some
> stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after half an hour.

I didn't.

We went for a very sedate ride with a new rider. Several gears lower up all the hills and half the
normal distance - excellent fun. Fit for what I asked myself? Fit enough to be able to ride for
several hours and get up some of our (Mid Wales) hills without getting off. Why knock yourself out?
I felt I could happily go round the route again. Some stranger tucks up behind me and they will get
bored with the pace.

John

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:db_Cb.5177$2G2.52836384@news-
> text.cableinet.net...
> > Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some
> Chow
> > Mein. I thought that was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint,
> some
> > stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after half an hour.
>
> I didn't.
>
> We went for a very sedate ride with a new rider. Several gears lower up
all
> the hills and half the normal distance - excellent fun. Fit for what I
asked
> myself? Fit enough to be able to ride for several hours and get up some of our (Mid Wales) hills
> without getting off. Why knock yourself out? I felt
> could happily go round the route again. Some stranger tucks up behind me
and
> they will get bored with the pace.
>
> John

Must admit, I should have done more. I wanted a real thrash ....

I should have gone for the big trek.... I couldn't handle 30 minutes.

Tomorrow, I'm preparing for the 100 mile next summer. I realise that I need to get fit for the
Summer already.

I took 2 months out, I'm a fat ******* already. :(

Next year is my big year ...

Nick

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:10:17 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some Chow Mein. I thought that
>was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint, some stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked
>after half an hour.

What were your symptoms. I don't really understand how some could bonk (we call it "get the knock")
after only 30 minutes. IME you're looking at a good few hours before you could truly bonk.

Regards! Stephen

"Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:10:17 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some
Chow
> >Mein. I thought that was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint,
some
> >stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after half an hour.
>
> What were your symptoms. I don't really understand how some could bonk (we call it "get the
> knock") after only 30 minutes. IME you're looking at a good few hours before you could truly bonk.

I saw the top of the hill before I'd even reached the hill ...

Repeat after me (when sober)

Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.

Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...

On 15/12/03 2:12 pm, in article [email protected], "Helen
Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Repeat after me (when sober)
>
> Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.

Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent the body burning
them from fat?

..d

> Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...

Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
> Repeat after me (when sober)
>
> Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.
>
> Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...

I've always found that too much beer precludes bonking. Are you saying that a bonk's more likely
after beer? Bring on the beer!

Trev

David Martin <[email protected]>typed

> On 15/12/03 2:12 pm, in article [email protected], "Helen Deborah Vecht"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Repeat after me (when sober)
> >
> > Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.

> Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent the body burning them
> from fat?

> ..d

> > Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...

I believe so; hence the beer gut, all abdominal (mostly intrabdominal) fat. Other fatties have
different distibution.

'Hips' Helen

"Trevor Barton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Repeat after me (when sober)
> >
> > Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.
> >
> > Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...
>
> I've always found that too much beer precludes bonking. Are you saying that a bonk's more likely
> after beer? Bring on the beer!
>
> Trev

Trev, do you have a sister?

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> David Martin <[email protected]>typed

>>On 15/12/03 2:12 pm, in article [email protected], "Helen Deborah Vecht"
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Repeat after me (when sober)

>>>Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.

>>Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent the body burning them
>>from fat?

> I believe so; hence the beer gut, all abdominal (mostly intrabdominal) fat. Other fatties have
> different distibution.

Hmm.. So my fridge full of nice organic beer (http://blackislebrewery.co.uk) will not be burned off
by extra miles over the festive season..

that's a shame..

..d

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > David Martin <[email protected]>typed

> >>Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent
the
> >>body burning them from fat?
>

> > I believe so; hence the beer gut, all abdominal (mostly intrabdominal) fat. Other fatties have
> > different distibution.
>
> Hmm.. So my fridge full of nice organic beer (http://blackislebrewery.co.uk) will not be burned
> off by extra miles over the festive season..
>
> that's a shame..

The linked bonked too. ;-)

Try www.blackislebrewery.com
___
Michael MacClancy

David Martin <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > David Martin <[email protected]>typed

> >>Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent the body burning them
> >>from fat?

> > I believe so; hence the beer gut, all abdominal (mostly intrabdominal) fat. Other fatties have
> > different distibution.

> Hmm.. So my fridge full of nice organic beer (http://blackislebrewery.co.uk) will not be burned
> off by extra miles over the festive season..

> that's a shame..

> ..d

You probably could burn off your beer if you drink in the evenings and ride in the day, but you'll
need a high-carb breakfast and frequent snacks.

Alcohol can 'go to your head' faster if your blood sugar is low...

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> You probably could burn off your beer if you drink in the evenings and ride in the day, but you'll
> need a high-carb breakfast and frequent snacks.
>
> Alcohol can 'go to your head' faster if your blood sugar is low...

This is one of the unexpected upsides of me doing a low carbohydrate diet. It's fantastic!

Pete

Steve McGinty <[email protected]>typed

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:10:17 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some Chow Mein. I thought that
> >was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint, some stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked
> >after half an hour.

> What were your symptoms. I don't really understand how some could bonk (we call it "get the
> knock") after only 30 minutes. IME you're looking at a good few hours before you could truly bonk.

Depends on what glycogen stores were like before setting out. If elyob was low from cycling or
whatever before chow mein & beer, he won't have replenished them much afterwards and could run into
trouble fairly fast the next day.

"Whilst on the road, avoid alcohol, meat & tobacco." As Vélocio said.

I am someone who used to suffer after an hour's cycling - or even less if I had no breakfast.
There were times when I could hardly top 9mph on the flat during a commute. I was cured by a
glucose drink.

I got rather good at handling the problem when I did Audax rides.

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:08:36 GMT, elyob wrote:

> "Trevor Barton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Repeat after me (when sober)
>> >
>> > Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.
>> >
>> > Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...
>>
>> I've always found that too much beer precludes bonking. Are you saying that a bonk's more likely
>> after beer? Bring on the beer!
>>
>> Trev
>
> Trev, do you have a sister?

Eh? What are you suggesting???

Trev

Bonking is not allowed in Wales on a Sunday. Chapel you see.

Status
Not open for further replies.