Bonked :(

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elyob, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some Chow Mein. I thought that was
    being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint, some stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after
    half an hour. That usually when I'm getting into my stride. Is the lack of beer and hangover a bad
    thing on a cold, windy Sunday?

    Tags:

  2. Ric

    Ric Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some
    Chow
    > Mein. I thought that was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint,
    some
    > stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after half an hour. That usually
    when
    > I'm getting into my stride. Is the lack of beer and hangover a bad thing
    on
    > a cold, windy Sunday?

    Most people are quite chuffed to bonk, especially after only half an hour. What was she like?

  3. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some
    Chow
    > Mein. I thought that was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint,
    some
    > stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after half an hour.

    I didn't.

    We went for a very sedate ride with a new rider. Several gears lower up all the hills and half the
    normal distance - excellent fun. Fit for what I asked myself? Fit enough to be able to ride for
    several hours and get up some of our (Mid Wales) hills without getting off. Why knock yourself out?
    I felt I could happily go round the route again. Some stranger tucks up behind me and they will get
    bored with the pace.

    John

  4. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > text.cableinet.net...
    > > Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some
    > Chow
    > > Mein. I thought that was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint,
    > some
    > > stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after half an hour.
    >
    > I didn't.
    >
    > We went for a very sedate ride with a new rider. Several gears lower up
    all
    > the hills and half the normal distance - excellent fun. Fit for what I
    asked
    > myself? Fit enough to be able to ride for several hours and get up some of our (Mid Wales) hills
    > without getting off. Why knock yourself out? I felt
    > could happily go round the route again. Some stranger tucks up behind me
    and
    > they will get bored with the pace.
    >
    > John

    Must admit, I should have done more. I wanted a real thrash ....

    I should have gone for the big trek.... I couldn't handle 30 minutes.

    Tomorrow, I'm preparing for the 100 mile next summer. I realise that I need to get fit for the
    Summer already.

    I took 2 months out, I'm a fat bastard already. :(

    Next year is my big year ...

    Nick

  5. On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:10:17 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some Chow Mein. I thought that
    >was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint, some stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked
    >after half an hour.

    What were your symptoms. I don't really understand how some could bonk (we call it "get the knock")
    after only 30 minutes. IME you're looking at a good few hours before you could truly bonk.

    Regards! Stephen

  6. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:10:17 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some
    Chow
    > >Mein. I thought that was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint,
    some
    > >stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked after half an hour.
    >
    > What were your symptoms. I don't really understand how some could bonk (we call it "get the
    > knock") after only 30 minutes. IME you're looking at a good few hours before you could truly bonk.

    I saw the top of the hill before I'd even reached the hill ...

  7. Repeat after me (when sober)

    Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.

    Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...

  8. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 15/12/03 2:12 pm, in article [email protected], "Helen
    Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Repeat after me (when sober)
    >
    > Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.

    Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent the body burning
    them from fat?

    ..d

    > Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...

  9. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Repeat after me (when sober)
    >
    > Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.

    And I think I have the scars to demonstrate this.

    cheers, clive

  10. Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Repeat after me (when sober)
    >
    > Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.
    >
    > Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...

    I've always found that too much beer precludes bonking. Are you saying that a bonk's more likely
    after beer? Bring on the beer!

    Trev

  11. David Martin <[email protected]>typed

    > On 15/12/03 2:12 pm, in article [email protected], "Helen Deborah Vecht"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Repeat after me (when sober)
    > >
    > > Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.

    > Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent the body burning them
    > from fat?

    > ..d

    > > Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...

    I believe so; hence the beer gut, all abdominal (mostly intrabdominal) fat. Other fatties have
    different distibution.

    'Hips' Helen

  12. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Trevor Barton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Repeat after me (when sober)
    > >
    > > Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.
    > >
    > > Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...
    >
    > I've always found that too much beer precludes bonking. Are you saying that a bonk's more likely
    > after beer? Bring on the beer!
    >
    > Trev

    Trev, do you have a sister?

  13. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > David Martin <[email protected]>typed

    >>On 15/12/03 2:12 pm, in article [email protected], "Helen Deborah Vecht"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>Repeat after me (when sober)

    >>>Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.

    >>Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent the body burning them
    >>from fat?

    > I believe so; hence the beer gut, all abdominal (mostly intrabdominal) fat. Other fatties have
    > different distibution.

    Hmm.. So my fridge full of nice organic beer (http://blackislebrewery.co.uk) will not be burned off
    by extra miles over the festive season..

    that's a shame..

    ..d

  14. "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > > David Martin <[email protected]>typed

    > >>Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent
    the
    > >>body burning them from fat?
    >

    > > I believe so; hence the beer gut, all abdominal (mostly intrabdominal) fat. Other fatties have
    > > different distibution.
    >
    > Hmm.. So my fridge full of nice organic beer (http://blackislebrewery.co.uk) will not be burned
    > off by extra miles over the festive season..
    >
    > that's a shame..

    The linked bonked too. ;-)

    Try www.blackislebrewery.com
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

  15. David Martin <[email protected]>typed

    > Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > > David Martin <[email protected]>typed

    > >>Does this mean that alcohol will not only add calories but will prevent the body burning them
    > >>from fat?

    > > I believe so; hence the beer gut, all abdominal (mostly intrabdominal) fat. Other fatties have
    > > different distibution.

    > Hmm.. So my fridge full of nice organic beer (http://blackislebrewery.co.uk) will not be burned
    > off by extra miles over the festive season..

    > that's a shame..

    > ..d

    You probably could burn off your beer if you drink in the evenings and ride in the day, but you'll
    need a high-carb breakfast and frequent snacks.

    Alcohol can 'go to your head' faster if your blood sugar is low...

  16. Ningi

    Ningi Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > You probably could burn off your beer if you drink in the evenings and ride in the day, but you'll
    > need a high-carb breakfast and frequent snacks.
    >
    > Alcohol can 'go to your head' faster if your blood sugar is low...

    This is one of the unexpected upsides of me doing a low carbohydrate diet. It's fantastic!

    Pete

  17. Steve McGinty <[email protected]>typed

    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:10:17 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Damnit. Damnit. Damnit. Stayed in last night, one can of beer and some Chow Mein. I thought that
    > >was being a good boy. Went out for an hour sprint, some stranger tucked up behind me, I bonked
    > >after half an hour.

    > What were your symptoms. I don't really understand how some could bonk (we call it "get the
    > knock") after only 30 minutes. IME you're looking at a good few hours before you could truly bonk.

    Depends on what glycogen stores were like before setting out. If elyob was low from cycling or
    whatever before chow mein & beer, he won't have replenished them much afterwards and could run into
    trouble fairly fast the next day.

    "Whilst on the road, avoid alcohol, meat & tobacco." As VĂ©locio said.

    I am someone who used to suffer after an hour's cycling - or even less if I had no breakfast.
    There were times when I could hardly top 9mph on the flat during a commute. I was cured by a
    glucose drink.

    I got rather good at handling the problem when I did Audax rides.

  18. On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:08:36 GMT, elyob wrote:

    > "Trevor Barton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> > Repeat after me (when sober)
    >> >
    >> > Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis.
    >> >
    >> > Bonk & Befuddlement after Beer...
    >>
    >> I've always found that too much beer precludes bonking. Are you saying that a bonk's more likely
    >> after beer? Bring on the beer!
    >>
    >> Trev
    >
    > Trev, do you have a sister?

    Eh? What are you suggesting???

    Trev

  19. Nobody760

    Nobody760 Guest

    Bonking is not allowed in Wales on a Sunday. Chapel you see.

  20. Tony W

    Tony W Guest