Bontrager 9sp hub and 10sp cassettes?

Hello,

I've got a Trek Madone 5.2 project one, which came with Ultegra 10sp
and a set of Bontrager race-lite aero wheels. The Bonty hubs are 9sp,
as I discovered when swapping the 12:25 with a 12:27 for a big climbing
day recently. The cassette had dug into the alloy carrier quite badly
(~1mm or so deep) after some 5,000km of riding. It took some removing
which damaged the 12:25 (which was worn out anyway ... but I want to
re-use the 12:27, it's only for special occasions!).

My reading of Sheldon's pages concerning 10sp Dura Ace hubs says that
it's not ok to use a 9sp D-A hub with 10sp cassettes as they're alloy,
and I assume the Ultegra 9sp carrier is steel so it's not vulnerable to
this problem? The Bonty hub has an alloy carrier and is 9sp (the bike
shipped with 10sp Ultegra and a 1mm spacer ring on the carrier).

We're following this up with Trek Australia as we think that the 9sp
hub should not be shipped with 10sp cassettes, but can anyone here
confirm that Trek made a mistake and should provide a hub that won't be
killed by the shipped groupset?

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a Trek Madone 5.2 project one, which came with Ultegra 10sp
> and a set of Bontrager race-lite aero wheels. The Bonty hubs are 9sp,
> as I discovered when swapping the 12:25 with a 12:27 for a big climbing
> day recently. The cassette had dug into the alloy carrier quite badly
> (~1mm or so deep) after some 5,000km of riding. It took some removing
> which damaged the 12:25 (which was worn out anyway ... but I want to
> re-use the 12:27, it's only for special occasions!).
>
> My reading of Sheldon's pages concerning 10sp Dura Ace hubs says that
> it's not ok to use a 9sp D-A hub with 10sp cassettes as they're alloy,
> and I assume the Ultegra 9sp carrier is steel so it's not vulnerable to
> this problem? The Bonty hub has an alloy carrier and is 9sp (the bike
> shipped with 10sp Ultegra and a 1mm spacer ring on the carrier).
>
> We're following this up with Trek Australia as we think that the 9sp
> hub should not be shipped with 10sp cassettes, but can anyone here
> confirm that Trek made a mistake and should provide a hub that won't be
> killed by the shipped groupset?

No error; there is no Bontrager 10-speed (only) cassette body. The
Bontrager Race X Lite hub has the same aluminum cassette body as DT
Swiss and many other hubs. The same digging in happens with 9-speed
cassettes on that body too. No functional problem, just one of the
compromises taken in order to save weight.

Good on ya for making Trek Australia aware of your dissatisfaction
though -- maybe if enough of us let them know they'll design a 10-speed
only cassette body for the Bonty wheels.

> I've got a Trek Madone 5.2 project one, which came with Ultegra 10sp
> and a set of Bontrager race-lite aero wheels. The Bonty hubs are 9sp,
> as I discovered when swapping the 12:25 with a 12:27 for a big climbing
> day recently. The cassette had dug into the alloy carrier quite badly
> (~1mm or so deep) after some 5,000km of riding. It took some removing
> which damaged the 12:25 (which was worn out anyway ... but I want to
> re-use the 12:27, it's only for special occasions!).
>
> My reading of Sheldon's pages concerning 10sp Dura Ace hubs says that
> it's not ok to use a 9sp D-A hub with 10sp cassettes as they're alloy,
> and I assume the Ultegra 9sp carrier is steel so it's not vulnerable to
> this problem? The Bonty hub has an alloy carrier and is 9sp (the bike
> shipped with 10sp Ultegra and a 1mm spacer ring on the carrier).
>
> We're following this up with Trek Australia as we think that the 9sp
> hub should not be shipped with 10sp cassettes, but can anyone here
> confirm that Trek made a mistake and should provide a hub that won't be
> killed by the shipped groupset?

I'll have to check but I think something may have been mis-read on Sheldon's
web page. There are no issues running 10-speed cassettes on 9-speed wheels.
The "digging in" of the cassette into the body on the wheel occurs whether 9
or 10-speed when you have steel or ti cogs sitting directly onto an aluminum
body. The surface area carrying the load is so small they invariably indent
the body. This normally isn't a big issue; it can take a bit of work getting
the first two cogs off, but I have yet to see an instance where the body has
been damaged to the point that it no longer holds the cogs in place (I'm
sure it's happened, but we sell a lot of bikes with those wheels, and we
haven't seen it happen in our large sample size, so I can say for sure that
it's a very rare thing).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> I'll have to check but I think something may have been mis-read on Sheldon's
> web page. There are no issues running 10-speed cassettes on 9-speed wheels.
> The "digging in" of the cassette into the body on the wheel occurs whether 9
> or 10-speed when you have steel or ti cogs sitting directly onto an aluminum
> body. The surface area carrying the load is so small they invariably indent
> the body. This normally isn't a big issue; it can take a bit of work getting
> the first two cogs off, but I have yet to see an instance where the body has
> been damaged to the point that it no longer holds the cogs in place (I'm
> sure it's happened, but we sell a lot of bikes with those wheels, and we
> haven't seen it happen in our large sample size, so I can say for sure that
> it's a very rare thing).

These were dug in a good 1mm or more, and we had a -lot- of trouble
getting the cassette off, not just the 12 and 13, the whole lot except
the last few that are on the single block. We had to resort to bashing
them off after making a tool to "unwind" them out of a chainwhip and
some old cogs.

Sheldon says :

The Dura-Ace 7800 rear hub has an aluminum Freehub body to save weight.
Other manufacturers have used aluminum Freehub bodies, and it has been
a problem because the steel sprockets can cut notches into the splines
of such a soft material.

To avoid this problem, Shimano has made the first change in their
spline pattern since the introduction of Hyperglide in the late '80s.
Dura-Ace 10 freehubs have taller splines than other Shimano models. As
a result, it is not possible to install cassettes other than 10-speed
models on Dura-Ace 7800 hubs. It is not, however necessary to use
Dura-Ace 10 speed cassettes. The Ultegra 10 speed cassettes also
accommodate the taller splines of the 7800 hubs.

So the taller splines reduce the pressure (p = f/a) thus presumably
reducing the dig in.
How many of your punters are doing high-torque riding? I'm using this
bike for hillsprints (big gear, accelerating up a hill from an almost
standing start) and a fair bit of climbing and racing. The body does
still hold the cogs, but the free cogs are dug in a lot and thus are
not alligned with the solid block as they should be, and removing them
is likely to damage them again, which means I can't swap cassettes
around without significant risk of cassette destruction.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> I'll have to check but I think something may have been mis-read on Sheldon's
> web page. There are no issues running 10-speed cassettes on 9-speed wheels.
> The "digging in" of the cassette into the body on the wheel occurs whether 9
> or 10-speed when you have steel or ti cogs sitting directly onto an aluminum
> body. The surface area carrying the load is so small they invariably indent
> the body. This normally isn't a big issue; it can take a bit of work getting
> the first two cogs off, but I have yet to see an instance where the body has
> been damaged to the point that it no longer holds the cogs in place (I'm
> sure it's happened, but we sell a lot of bikes with those wheels, and we
> haven't seen it happen in our large sample size, so I can say for sure that
> it's a very rare thing).

This is what Sheldon says :

The Dura-Ace 7800 rear hub has an aluminum Freehub body to save weight.
Other manufacturers have used aluminum Freehub bodies, and it has been
a problem because the steel sprockets can cut notches into the splines
of such a soft material.

To avoid this problem, Shimano has made the first change in their
spline pattern since the introduction of Hyperglide in the late '80s.
Dura-Ace 10 freehubs have taller splines than other Shimano models. As
a result, it is not possible to install cassettes other than 10-speed
models on Dura-Ace 7800 hubs. It is not, however necessary to use
Dura-Ace 10 speed cassettes. The Ultegra 10 speed cassettes also
accommodate the taller splines of the 7800 hubs.

That implies that unless an alloy freehub body is designed specifically
for 10sp, it's going to get eaten by the higher ratio cogs.

> This is what Sheldon says :
>
> The Dura-Ace 7800 rear hub has an aluminum Freehub body to save weight.
> Other manufacturers have used aluminum Freehub bodies, and it has been
> a problem because the steel sprockets can cut notches into the splines
> of such a soft material.
>
> To avoid this problem, Shimano has made the first change in their
> spline pattern since the introduction of Hyperglide in the late '80s.
> Dura-Ace 10 freehubs have taller splines than other Shimano models. As
> a result, it is not possible to install cassettes other than 10-speed
> models on Dura-Ace 7800 hubs. It is not, however necessary to use
> Dura-Ace 10 speed cassettes. The Ultegra 10 speed cassettes also
> accommodate the taller splines of the 7800 hubs.

Right, but you asked about running a 10-speed cassette on a 9-speed wheel,
not the other way around. In any event, the Bontrager freehub mechanism has
always been aluminum on the high end (Race X-Lite), so there's nothing new
in terms of how they handle different cassettes. The only warning I'd offer
would be to not use cassettes that have all of their individual gears
directly connected to the freehub, instead of mounting first to an aluminum
carrier which then mounts onto the freehub.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > This is what Sheldon says :
> >
> > The Dura-Ace 7800 rear hub has an aluminum Freehub body to save weight.
> > Other manufacturers have used aluminum Freehub bodies, and it has been
> > a problem because the steel sprockets can cut notches into the splines
> > of such a soft material.
> >
> > To avoid this problem, Shimano has made the first change in their
> > spline pattern since the introduction of Hyperglide in the late '80s.
> > Dura-Ace 10 freehubs have taller splines than other Shimano models. As
> > a result, it is not possible to install cassettes other than 10-speed
> > models on Dura-Ace 7800 hubs. It is not, however necessary to use
> > Dura-Ace 10 speed cassettes. The Ultegra 10 speed cassettes also
> > accommodate the taller splines of the 7800 hubs.

> Right, but you asked about running a 10-speed cassette on a 9-speed wheel,
> not the other way around. In any event, the Bontrager freehub mechanism has
> always been aluminum on the high end (Race X-Lite), so there's nothing new
> in terms of how they handle different cassettes.

Ok, so I guess that they're not designed to last all that long. I'm
using standard Shimano cassettes, nothing special about them. What
sort of life are you seeing out of the ones you're selling, and how
much dig-in?

> The only warning I'd offer
> would be to not use cassettes that have all of their individual gears
> directly connected to the freehub, instead of mounting first to an aluminum
> carrier which then mounts onto the freehub.

The Shimano cassettes (as you know) are about 50/50 on a block and
individual. Any other recomendations, apart from suggesting to Trek
that they supply a freehub that doesn't **** out after 5,000km? :)

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've got a Trek Madone 5.2 project one, which came with Ultegra 10sp
> > and a set of Bontrager race-lite aero wheels. The Bonty hubs are 9sp,
> > as I discovered when swapping the 12:25 with a 12:27 for a big climbing
> > day recently. The cassette had dug into the alloy carrier quite badly
> > (~1mm or so deep) after some 5,000km of riding. It took some removing
> > which damaged the 12:25 (which was worn out anyway ... but I want to
> > re-use the 12:27, it's only for special occasions!).
> >
> > My reading of Sheldon's pages concerning 10sp Dura Ace hubs says that
> > it's not ok to use a 9sp D-A hub with 10sp cassettes as they're alloy,
> > and I assume the Ultegra 9sp carrier is steel so it's not vulnerable to
> > this problem? The Bonty hub has an alloy carrier and is 9sp (the bike
> > shipped with 10sp Ultegra and a 1mm spacer ring on the carrier).
> >
> > We're following this up with Trek Australia as we think that the 9sp
> > hub should not be shipped with 10sp cassettes, but can anyone here
> > confirm that Trek made a mistake and should provide a hub that won't be
> > killed by the shipped groupset?

> No error; there is no Bontrager 10-speed (only) cassette body. The
> Bontrager Race X Lite hub has the same aluminum cassette body as DT
> Swiss and many other hubs. The same digging in happens with 9-speed
> cassettes on that body too. No functional problem, just one of the
> compromises taken in order to save weight.

It's odd that they make such a good frame with such a good warranty,
but ship such a flimsy and poorly designed freehub body. I wonder if
the damage could be a warranty item? The hub is not up to the standard
that I would expect of Trek. I guess we'll find out ...

Thanks for the info.

> Ok, so I guess that they're not designed to last all that long. I'm
> using standard Shimano cassettes, nothing special about them. What
> sort of life are you seeing out of the ones you're selling, and how
> much dig-in?

Infinite? By that I mean that I have yet to see one that's become so damaged
that it had to be replaced.

>> The only warning I'd offer
>> would be to not use cassettes that have all of their individual gears
>> directly connected to the freehub, instead of mounting first to an
>> aluminum
>> carrier which then mounts onto the freehub.

> The Shimano cassettes (as you know) are about 50/50 on a block and
> individual. Any other recomendations, apart from suggesting to Trek
> that they supply a freehub that doesn't **** out after 5,000km? :)

OK, I don't like to do it, but have to this time. Pull out the "Lance" card.
You're not riding on a similar freehub to what the team uses... you're
riding on the EXACT same one. No differences. So I dare say it. It's good
enough for Lance, it's good enough for big guys like George. They're not
replacing them after every race, despite being able to put absurd wattage
into the system. Ask around; you'll find there are plenty of strong riders
here on this newsgroup who have found the cassettes to "dig in" to the
freehub, but not destroy it, after many thousands of miles.

We do live in that "real world" place, and it's possible you've got one
that's softer than the norm. Possible, not likely, but could be. But the
design has worked very well for a lot of people.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> > This is what Sheldon says :
>> >
>> > The Dura-Ace 7800 rear hub has an aluminum Freehub body to save weight.
>> > Other manufacturers have used aluminum Freehub bodies, and it has been
>> > a problem because the steel sprockets can cut notches into the splines
>> > of such a soft material.
>> >
>> > To avoid this problem, Shimano has made the first change in their
>> > spline pattern since the introduction of Hyperglide in the late '80s.
>> > Dura-Ace 10 freehubs have taller splines than other Shimano models. As
>> > a result, it is not possible to install cassettes other than 10-speed
>> > models on Dura-Ace 7800 hubs. It is not, however necessary to use
>> > Dura-Ace 10 speed cassettes. The Ultegra 10 speed cassettes also
>> > accommodate the taller splines of the 7800 hubs.

>> Right, but you asked about running a 10-speed cassette on a 9-speed
>> wheel,
>> not the other way around. In any event, the Bontrager freehub mechanism
>> has
>> always been aluminum on the high end (Race X-Lite), so there's nothing
>> new
>> in terms of how they handle different cassettes.

> Ok, so I guess that they're not designed to last all that long. I'm
> using standard Shimano cassettes, nothing special about them. What
> sort of life are you seeing out of the ones you're selling, and how
> much dig-in?
>

>> The only warning I'd offer
>> would be to not use cassettes that have all of their individual gears
>> directly connected to the freehub, instead of mounting first to an
>> aluminum
>> carrier which then mounts onto the freehub.

> The Shimano cassettes (as you know) are about 50/50 on a block and
> individual. Any other recomendations, apart from suggesting to Trek
> that they supply a freehub that doesn't **** out after 5,000km? :)

This isn't a Bontrager issue. This happens with most wheels that I've
used (Mavic, Am Classic, Neuvation). I've had similar problems on the
9 speed cassettes, but to a lesser extent because they had more
mounting points to dissipate the pressure. If you look on the 10 speed
cogs, they have less points in contact with the cassette body -
probably to save weight. The same notching happens on my steel
cassette bodies as well. It's a pain to get them off, but if you use
an extra chain whip, or a rag to hold the cassette, it only takes a
minute to free them. I've been filing the cassette body back flat
which seems to lessen the problem.

It's not like the 8sp days when the entire cassette was one piece (like
my Ultegra rain bike cassette). The entire thing slid on as one
unified piece so there's much more surface area to work against the
cassette ridges.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Ask around; you'll find there are plenty of strong riders
> here on this newsgroup who have found the cassettes to "dig in" to the
> freehub, but not destroy it, after many thousands of miles.

This has been my experience.

Larry Coon
University of California

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > Ok, so I guess that they're not designed to last all that long. I'm
> > using standard Shimano cassettes, nothing special about them. What
> > sort of life are you seeing out of the ones you're selling, and how
> > much dig-in?

> Infinite? By that I mean that I have yet to see one that's become so damaged
> that it had to be replaced.

Ok. My concern isn't so much that the freehub needs replacing- it
still *works* but that it's underengineered such that cassette removal
& replacement is non-trivial, and as other posters have suggested, that
the freehub requires filing to remove the excess material pushed around
by the dig (and that's an acceptable solution?!). I like my Bonty
wheels a lot, but I have trouble believing that this behaviour is
acceptable.

> >> The only warning I'd offer
> >> would be to not use cassettes that have all of their individual gears
> >> directly connected to the freehub, instead of mounting first to an
> >> aluminum
> >> carrier which then mounts onto the freehub.

> > The Shimano cassettes (as you know) are about 50/50 on a block and
> > individual. Any other recomendations, apart from suggesting to Trek
> > that they supply a freehub that doesn't **** out after 5,000km? :)

> OK, I don't like to do it, but have to this time. Pull out the "Lance" card.

Heh.

> You're not riding on a similar freehub to what the team uses... you're
> riding on the EXACT same one. No differences. So I dare say it. It's good
> enough for Lance, it's good enough for big guys like George. They're not
> replacing them after every race, despite being able to put absurd wattage
> into the system. Ask around; you'll find there are plenty of strong riders
> here on this newsgroup who have found the cassettes to "dig in" to the
> freehub, but not destroy it, after many thousands of miles.

Understood, and yes, I'm no George or Lance, that's for sure!

Here's one of the training things I do on the bike though - in 53:12 or
53:13 on a ~7% hill, from almost a standstill, accelerate up the hill
at full power (hillsprints, strength training). Now, that's going to
be putting a fair bit of stress on the pressure points where the 12
meets the freehub, as the 12 is a distinct gear, rather than being on a
caddy. The frame certainly protests a bit about it, so I'd imagine the
gear doesn't like it much either. Would that be classed as unusual
stress? I wouldn't have thought so, an elite road sprinter will put
out lots more power than I am through the 12. I'm just a B grade hack
sprinter.

> We do live in that "real world" place, and it's possible you've got one
> that's softer than the norm. Possible, not likely, but could be. But the
> design has worked very well for a lot of people.

My concern is, and despite Sheldon's protestations about my
misunderstanding of what he's written in my misposted other thread, he
does infer that 9sp alloy freehubs are too soft, which is why they
(Shimano) changed the setup for 10sp (....To avoid this problem,
Shimano has made the first change in their spline pattern since the
introduction of Hyperglide in the late '80s. Dura-Ace 10 freehubs have
taller splines than other Shimano models....).

So if Shimano are admitting that Aluminium alloy freehubs are too soft
by changing the 10sp spline design to cope with the softer material,
quoting Sheldon again :

The Dura-Ace 7800 rear hub has an aluminum Freehub body to save weight.
Other manufacturers have used aluminum Freehub bodies, and it has been
a problem because the steel sprockets can cut notches into the splines
of such a soft material.

What's Trek/Bontrager (or anyone else using rebadged DT hubs with alloy
freehubs) doing not addressing the problem too? Clearly it is a
problem - my experience is such that removing a cassette required a lot
more effort than a chainwhip and a bit of rag and seating a new
cassette was difficult due to the damage done to the splines. Now
maybe mine's a one-off softer alloy, but I doubt it. We had to whack a
modified chainwhip with a large hammer to unwind the dug-in sprockets,
and then pry them out with a large screwdriver as they were dug in so
tight. I should have taken photos but we were in a hurry to swap the
cassette as I was en-route to Mt Baw Baw and *needed* that 27!

If there is no updated freehub in the pipeline somewhere that is
designed to cope without deformation, what's a good practice to reduce
its impact? Pull the cassette every 1,000km and file the freehub flat
again? I want to keep my Bonty wheels, but not if every time I swap
cassettes I have to just about destroy the cassette to get it off!
Can one get a steel freehub and retrofit it to a Bontrager hub? I
don't care about 10 grams more weight in the hub :)

[email protected] wrote:
> Understood, and yes, I'm no George or Lance, that's for sure!
>
> Here's one of the training things I do on the bike though - in 53:12 or
> 53:13 on a ~7% hill, from almost a standstill, accelerate up the hill
> at full power (hillsprints, strength training). Now, that's going to
> be putting a fair bit of stress on the pressure points where the 12
> meets the freehub, as the 12 is a distinct gear, rather than being on a
> caddy. The frame certainly protests a bit about it, so I'd imagine the
> gear doesn't like it much either. Would that be classed as unusual
> stress? I wouldn't have thought so, an elite road sprinter will put
> out lots more power than I am through the 12. I'm just a B grade hack
> sprinter.

Truth is, you'd put more stress on the hub body in a 39x23 - the 39
gives you more leverage relative to the chain (higher chain tension) and
the 23 gives the chain almost double the torque on the hub body (longer
lever arm). Power isn't what destroys parts (at least not in the short
term), force is. Granted one doesn't often sprint in a gear like that,
but the lower gear exerts much more force on the hubshell for a given
amount of force at the pedals.

Anyway, I'm interested in this thread since I've had a Campy Chorus
hubset for several years that has an aluminum freehub body. I worried
about messing up the body where the cog splines contact it, but it just
hasn't been a problem. I don't sprint at all, but for mountain rides
I've got it set up with a 26 front, 26 rear - which gives me a *lot* of
leverage on that hub body. So far, only very minor marking on the
freehub body - is the Campy design that much different?

Mark

Mark Janeba wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Understood, and yes, I'm no George or Lance, that's for sure!
> >
> > Here's one of the training things I do on the bike though - in 53:12 or
> > 53:13 on a ~7% hill, from almost a standstill, accelerate up the hill
> > at full power (hillsprints, strength training). Now, that's going to
> > be putting a fair bit of stress on the pressure points where the 12
> > meets the freehub, as the 12 is a distinct gear, rather than being on a
> > caddy. The frame certainly protests a bit about it, so I'd imagine the
> > gear doesn't like it much either. Would that be classed as unusual
> > stress? I wouldn't have thought so, an elite road sprinter will put
> > out lots more power than I am through the 12. I'm just a B grade hack
> > sprinter.

> Truth is, you'd put more stress on the hub body in a 39x23 - the 39
> gives you more leverage relative to the chain (higher chain tension) and
> the 23 gives the chain almost double the torque on the hub body (longer
> lever arm). Power isn't what destroys parts (at least not in the short
> term), force is. Granted one doesn't often sprint in a gear like that,
> but the lower gear exerts much more force on the hubshell for a given
> amount of force at the pedals.

On the hub yes, but not on the freehub splines - the 12 isn't part of a
block, it's a seperate gear with a Shimano 10 sp cassette.. The bigger
sprockets are on a block that reduces the pressure - what deforms the
freehub is pressure (force / area).

I have Bontrager Race-Lites and I'm pretty sure they are steel. They
notch just the same. I think the reason that the 10's notch worse than
previous designs is that each cog is so much narrower and have less
contact points (as mentioned elsewhere). A simple fix for Shimano
would be to make the cog/spacer one piece so that the pressure is
disipated that much more across the contact points. The other thing
you can do is pedal in perfect circles...but we all know that's not
going to happen.

Some tricks I've used:
Hold the cassetter with a rag, and tap a screwdriver against the cog in
the reverse direction.
Two chainwhips (if I cna find my 2nd)
Chainwhip and rag on the caught cog

I'm about 100% certain that you'll have similar issues with other
wheels.

[email protected] wrote:
> Mark Janeba wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Understood, and yes, I'm no George or Lance, that's for sure!
>>>
>>>Here's one of the training things I do on the bike though - in 53:12 or
>>>53:13 on a ~7% hill, from almost a standstill, accelerate up the hill
>>>at full power (hillsprints, strength training). Now, that's going to
>>>be putting a fair bit of stress on the pressure points where the 12
>>>meets the freehub, as the 12 is a distinct gear, rather than being on a
>>>caddy. The frame certainly protests a bit about it, so I'd imagine the
>>>gear doesn't like it much either. Would that be classed as unusual
>>>stress? I wouldn't have thought so, an elite road sprinter will put
>>>out lots more power than I am through the 12. I'm just a B grade hack
>>>sprinter.

>>Truth is, you'd put more stress on the hub body in a 39x23 - the 39
>>gives you more leverage relative to the chain (higher chain tension) and
>>the 23 gives the chain almost double the torque on the hub body (longer
>>lever arm). Power isn't what destroys parts (at least not in the short
>>term), force is. Granted one doesn't often sprint in a gear like that,
>>but the lower gear exerts much more force on the hubshell for a given
>>amount of force at the pedals.

> On the hub yes, but not on the freehub splines - the 12 isn't part of a
> block, it's a seperate gear with a Shimano 10 sp cassette.. The bigger
> sprockets are on a block that reduces the pressure - what deforms the
> freehub is pressure (force / area).

Sorry, I should have specified - all my Campy cassettes are the cheaper
"veloce" type - every cog is separate, no combined carriers, no bolts
holding the cassettes together as with some Shimanos.

Clearly, though, if the Shimano cogs are connected to spread force
across the cassette/body interface, then the separate 12 should be where
you see problems. Still, more force on the shell with the 39T ring than
the 52T.

Mark

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> I have Bontrager Race-Lites and I'm pretty sure they are steel. They
> notch just the same. I think the reason that the 10's notch worse than
> previous designs is that each cog is so much narrower and have less
> contact points (as mentioned elsewhere). A simple fix for Shimano
> would be to make the cog/spacer one piece so that the pressure is
> disipated that much more across the contact points.

I'd reckon that would fix it quite well

> The other thing
> you can do is pedal in perfect circles...but we all know that's not
> going to happen.

Or just not ride it at all :)

> Some tricks I've used:
> Hold the cassetter with a rag, and tap a screwdriver against the cog in
> the reverse direction.
> Two chainwhips (if I cna find my 2nd)
> Chainwhip and rag on the caught cog
>
> I'm about 100% certain that you'll have similar issues with other
> wheels.

Ja. shonky engineering .. :(