Bontrager bars & Cateye light brackets: urgent help required

Pete Biggs

Guest
....for a reader from uk.rec.cycling (not me)............

Do Bontrager Race Lite drop bars have such a large diameter away from the center bulge that a Cateye
H-30 or H-32 light bracket could not be fitted?

For that matter, would there be difficulty in fitting one if these brackets to ANY common modern
drop bars?

By the way, does anyone know the difference between the H-30 and H-32 light brackets (apart from the
q/r lever end possibly being different)?

thanks ~PB [x-posed to rec.bicycles.tech]

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:40:12 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:

>Do Bontrager Race Lite drop bars have such a large diameter away from the center bulge that a
>Cateye H-30 or H-32 light bracket could not be fitted?
>
>For that matter, would there be difficulty in fitting one if these brackets to ANY common modern
>drop bars?

My headlight bracket is the H-30, it *just* fits around the modern bars on my road bike (with no
tape or rubber underneath). It's snug enough that I have to squeeze pretty hard to start the bolt in
its thread. I don't know the diameter of my bars in the stem but the part that the bracket goes
around is about 26mm.

>By the way, does anyone know the difference between the H-30 and H-32 light brackets (apart from
>the q/r lever end possibly being different)?

Two different brackets shown at Cateye website:

https://www.cateye.com/smallparts01mas.php?cat=hlt&&products_id=92

My guess would be for different bar diameters but not sure I'm afraid....
--

Bob

Email address is munged. To reply directly remove the beverage.

Pete Biggs <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:
>http://www.btinternet.com/~dene.w/1.jpg Dene is having trouble fitting the bracket. I think it just
>needs adjusting - and/or maybe some bar tape needs removing. What do you think?

What is the stem clamp diameter here? I have not had trouble on bars with a normal 26mm clamp
diameter. If it is more I think you are right that you will have to unroll the bar tape a little and
put it on the narrower section - or you could see if the clamp from a Space Grip will fit the fat
section next to the stem.

Call me Bob wrote:

> https://www.cateye.com/smallparts01mas.php?cat=hlt&&products_id=92
>
> My guess would be for different bar diameters but not sure I'm afraid....

Perhaps the H-30 is primarily designed for MTB bars (?), but the H-32 certainly fits both MTB and
normal drop bars. H-31 looks just what Dene needs if H-30 can't be made to fit and wants to fit
on/near the bar centre.

~PB

In article <H4*[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Pete Biggs <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:
> >http://www.btinternet.com/~dene.w/1.jpg Dene is having trouble fitting the bracket. I think it
> >just needs adjusting - and/or maybe some bar tape needs removing. What do you think?
>
> What is the stem clamp diameter here? I have not had trouble on bars with a normal 26mm clamp
> diameter. If it is more I think you are right that you will have to unroll the bar tape a little
> and put it on the narrower section - or you could see if the clamp from a Space Grip will fit the
> fat section next to the stem.

31.8mm

I'm going to try the cateye HL400 as that seems to use an adjustable strap to attach the light
to the bar.

Thanks for all the help and advice

Dene

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:H4*[email protected]...

>or you could see if the clamp from a Space Grip will fit the fat section next to the stem.

I've ordered a Space Grip that fits on the stem rather than the bars. According to the blurb it fits
most sizes of stem and if so will speed up the process of swapping my lights between bikes as well
as fitting it to bikes with limited space.

Pete

"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Here's a pic: http://www.btinternet.com/~dene.w/1.jpg
>
> Dene is having trouble fitting the bracket.
>
> I think it just needs adjusting - and/or maybe some bar tape needs removing. What do you think?
>
> ~PB

Dear Peter,

You might try sticking a needle into the covered area to determine the thickness of the padding and
the diameter of whatever's lurking underneath. A pinhole or two won't be terribly ugly.

Once you know the depth of the padding, a pair of calipers and a few measurements should give you a
good idea of how plump the bars are where you want to mount your instrument panel.

Of course, there's at least one pesky little cable underneath, but it may be lying recessed in a
groove, so a fudge factor could be involved.

Carl Fogel

> I've ordered a Space Grip that fits on the stem rather than the bars. According to the blurb it
> fits most sizes of stem and if so will speed up the process of swapping my lights between bikes as
> well as fitting it to bikes with limited space.

The Space Grips we stock say they only go up to a 29mm handlebar diameter, so they may not work.
Seems like the industry doesn't have a handle on accessories for the larger-diameter bars yet.

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:H4*[email protected]...
>
> >or you could see if the clamp from a Space Grip will fit the fat section next to the stem.
>
> I've ordered a Space Grip that fits on the stem rather than the bars. According to the blurb it
> fits most sizes of stem and if so will speed up the process of swapping my lights between bikes as
> well as fitting it to bikes with limited space.
>
> Pete

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Here's a pic: http://www.btinternet.com/~dene.w/1.jpg
> >
> > Dene is having trouble fitting the bracket.
> >
> > I think it just needs adjusting - and/or maybe some bar tape needs removing. What do you think?
> >
> > ~PB
>
> Dear Peter,
>
> You might try sticking a needle into the covered area to determine the thickness of the padding
> and the diameter of whatever's lurking underneath. A pinhole or two won't be terribly ugly.
>
> Once you know the depth of the padding, a pair of calipers and a few measurements should give you
> a good idea of how plump the bars are where you want to mount your instrument panel.
>
> Of course, there's at least one pesky little cable underneath, but it may be lying recessed in a
> groove, so a fudge factor could be involved.
>
> Carl Fogel

Most drop bars are 24mm everywhere but the bulge. My Bontrager Race Lites are.

Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I've ordered a Space Grip that fits on the stem rather than the bars. According to the blurb it
> > fits most sizes of stem and if so will speed
up
> > the process of swapping my lights between bikes as well as fitting it to bikes with limited
> > space.
>
> The Space Grips we stock say they only go up to a 29mm handlebar diameter, so they may not work.
> Seems like the industry doesn't have a handle on accessories for the larger-diameter bars yet.

According to the latest Zyro (UK importer) catalog, spacegrips now accomodate up to 35mm handlebar
diameter - should be available once old stock has run out, or get a swing grip.