Bontrager handlebars? Opinions & How do you measure the width?

Chance3290

Oct 1, 2004
I just got a TREK 5000 and after a hundred miles, I think the handlebars are a bit too narrow for me. I'm not sure if I should swap them out with a set of Ritcheys that I have on another bike.
What method do you use to measure bontragers bars?

Chance3290 said:
I just got a TREK 5000 and after a hundred miles, I think the handlebars are a bit too narrow for me. I'm not sure if I should swap them out with a set of Ritcheys that I have on another bike.
I know that most US manufacturers measure from center to center, while Italian companies measure outside-outside. I also found that some bars flare at the drops but are narrower at the brake hoods (where I spend about 95% of the time). Personally I like the shape of the Ritchey's. They are nice and wide at the hoods and the ergo shape of the drops fits my hands very well when I'm in them. The rule of thumb is that the bars should be as wide as your shoulders measured right at the bone in the front. Too narrow and it restricts breathing and can make the bike less stable as well. I actually go with a bar that's a little narrower than recommended for me because I like being a little less of a sail in a head wind (I ride alond a windy coastline). My point though, is to try them first and don't worry too much about the size that's avertised.

Chance3290 said:

A Tape measure ?

sorry , bad joke
Theory says : the width of your shoulders ( line of joint to line of joint - don´t try it yourself , it´s impossible unaided ) but most people find it more comfortable to go 2cm bigger - it´ll give you better control and few people out side of the pro ranks are fast enough to tell any difference aerodynamically ; and they´d probably need a wind tunnel to prove it .

Get a friend to measure the distance between your hands on one bike then the other - it may just be that the shape does not suit you , I changed from a Ritchey to a Deda as I wanted a non anatomic type shallow Italian bend and the book says the same width but the Deda feels narrower , it isn´t but it feels it ( Ritchey road bars are made in Italy incidently , small world sometimes ) :confused: