Bontrager Hub Rebuild

Chris

Guest
My '02 Bontrager Race Tubeless rear hub needs a bit of TLC...it's been through enough water, mud,
and miles to warrant a rebuild anyway, but now the tire spins pretty hearty when the cranks are spun
backwards.

I'm planning on doing this myself - if I screw up my friends at the LBS will bail me out - but have
a question.

I downloaded the service .pdf from Bontrager's site, but amongst all the varying hubs, '02 Race
Tubeless isn't listed. There is a listing for '02 Race/Race Disc, which I imagine to be the same
thing, but since they differentiate between Race and Race Disc I'm thinking there's a possibility
they would do so for tubeless...even though the disc and non-disc hubs are very different, and
warrant diferentiation. I can't picture the Race "normal" differeing from the Race Tubeless, but you
never know. Maybe you
do...that's why I'm asking.

And yes, Carla, I would have e-mailed Bontrager, but they've been too slow in my experience :)

And yes, JD, I'm aware Bontrager wheelsets are utter **** :)

Also, I'm going to repack (which is, I guess, an outdated term for cartridge bearing hub relubing)
with Park Polylube 1000...any problems/advice there?

Word.

Chris

Chris said...

> And yes, Carla, I would have e-mailed Bontrager, but they've been too slow in my experience :)

I recently emailed Bontrager and got a response the same day. You might want to look at the American
Classic and Hugi web sites. I have a set of Bontrager Race Disc and the hubs are rebadged Hugi Onyx.

Chris wrote:

> I downloaded the service .pdf from Bontrager's site, but amongst all the varying hubs, '02 Race
> Tubeless isn't listed. There is a listing for '02 Race/Race Disc, which I imagine to be the same
> thing, but since they differentiate between Race and Race Disc I'm thinking there's a possibility
> they would do so for tubeless...even though the disc and non-disc hubs are very different, and
> warrant diferentiation. I can't picture the Race "normal" differeing from the Race Tubeless, but
> you never know. Maybe you
> do...that's why I'm asking.

Surely it's the rims that are tubeless, not the hubs...

> Surely it's the rims that are tubeless, not the hubs...
>
> --

Yes, of course. Who am I, Travis? :)

I'm just covering my ass...since they listed every other model explicitly, I'd like confirmation of
my assumption before prying back the seals and popping out cartridge bearings. Someone has to know
more about Bontrager hubs than me...even if it's the garbage man (just for you, JD).

Chris