Bontrager Mustang or Valiant

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by The Truth, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. The Truth

    The Truth Guest

    Heres another edition of an old comparison

    Bontrager Mustangs or Valiants?????????

    165 lb XC hard-tailed speed freak on the East Coast. I hit the rocks in Ringwood, NJ and the trails
    in VT. Nothing more than the occasional 2-3 foot drop in terms of pure air.

    Im concerned with strength and sidewall wear (running XTR V- brakes) so any comments on these two
    factors with either of these two hoops would be great!

    Im going to lace these to King Hubs.

    Thanks!!!

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. The Truth wrote:
    > Heres another edition of an old comparison
    >
    > Bontrager Mustangs or Valiants?????????

    I've been happy with Mustang A-Syms. (unitl I swithced to RynoLiteXL's)

  3. The Truth wrote:

    > Heres another edition of an old comparison
    >
    > Bontrager Mustangs or Valiants?????????
    >
    > 165 lb XC hard-tailed speed freak on the East Coast. I hit the rocks in Ringwood, NJ and the
    > trails in VT. Nothing more than the occasional 2-3 foot drop in terms of pure air.
    >
    > Im concerned with strength and sidewall wear (running XTR V- brakes) so any comments on these two
    > factors with either of these two hoops would be great!
    >
    > Im going to lace these to King Hubs.
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > Rich

    I've used both and they are very similar. The Valiant is sold as the light weight version, but due
    to inconsistent manufacturing, the weights vary widely. Go with the ceramic coated Valiant and
    you'll worry less about rim wear.

  4. Eric Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I've used both and they are very similar. The Valiant is sold as the light weight version, but due
    > to inconsistent manufacturing, the weights vary widely. Go with the ceramic coated Valiant and
    > you'll worry less about rim wear.

    Im leaning towards the Valiants due to the ceramic sidewalls. KB
    stopped making the Stangs in ceramic, which irritates me, but oh well.

    Im going for a strong, light rim that will LAST, catastrophic crashes and bashes aside. I really
    dont want to dump $300 in rims every 18 months. I know the Valiants are the lighter and weaker of
    the two, but by how much. Im 165 LB and Im riding a hardtail on the East Coast. Lots of roots and
    rocks and 2-3 foot drops. Im not terribly hard on rims. The stock Rolf Satellites I had lasted three
    years without a problem except sidewall wear.

    Which way should I go here??

    Thanks,

    Rich

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    RkFast, the Flake slayer wrote:
    > Eric Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've used both and they are very similar. The Valiant is sold as the light weight version, but due
    >>to inconsistent manufacturing, the weights vary widely. Go with the ceramic coated Valiant and
    >>you'll worry less about rim wear.
    >

    > Im leaning towards the Valiants due to the ceramic sidewalls. KB
    > stopped making the Stangs in ceramic, which irritates me, but oh well.
    >
    > Im going for a strong, light rim that will LAST, catastrophic crashes and bashes aside. I really
    > dont want to dump $300 in rims every 18 months. I know the Valiants are the lighter and weaker of
    > the two, but by how much. Im 165 LB and Im riding a hardtail on the East Coast. Lots of roots and
    > rocks and 2-3 foot drops. Im not terribly hard on rims. The stock Rolf Satellites I had lasted
    > three years without a problem except sidewall wear.
    >
    > Which way should I go here??

    I was considering the same 2 rims and the head wrench that my local LBS warned me that he would only
    use the Valiant for really light or easy riders -- he likes to build wheels and most of his comments
    are dead-on.

    I went with the Mustang assym and the rear only lasted about 3k miles before splitting around the
    middle (between spoke holes, inside under the rim tape). I should mention that this seems to be a
    problem that I've had -- every rim that I've owned has done this, so it may not be the Mustang :).
    That is, except my current Mavic F219 which has lasted the longest of any rear rim for me -- but
    it's disc specific, and the F519 that I tried before the Mustang did split the same way. YMMV.

    David

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I went with the Mustang assym and the rear only lasted about 3k miles before splitting around the
    >middle (between spoke holes, inside under the rim tape). I should mention that this seems to be a
    >problem that I've had -- every rim that I've owned has done this, so it may not be the Mustang :).
    >That is, except my current Mavic F219 which has lasted the longest of any rear rim for me -- but
    >it's disc specific, and the F519 that I tried before the Mustang did split the same way. YMMV.

    I'm curious as to whether or not you buy anodized (non silver) rims. It's been my experience that
    non-anodized rims almost never crack, while anodized rims do quite often.

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Mark Hickey wrote:
    > David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I went with the Mustang assym and the rear only lasted about 3k miles before splitting around the
    >>middle (between spoke holes, inside under the rim tape). I should mention that this seems to be a
    >>problem that I've had -- every rim that I've owned has done this, so it may not be the Mustang :).
    >>That is, except my current Mavic F219 which has lasted the longest of any rear rim for me -- but
    >>it's disc specific, and the F519 that I tried before the Mustang did split the same way. YMMV.
    >

    > I'm curious as to whether or not you buy anodized (non silver) rims. It's been my experience that
    > non-anodized rims almost never crack, while anodized rims do quite often.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

    Black, anodized. I've been told that Mavic had problems with their anodization process which is
    one of the reasons that I went to the Mustangs. If this latest rim goes as fast as the others
    (it's at just over 4k-miles, about the failure time of the others), I'm going to go with a silver
    Sun Rhino Lite next -- or just start considering the rims to be yet another "consumable" part that
    I replace on a semiregular basis. I hate to say it, but I just like the way that black rims look
    on my bike :).

    David

  8. "The Truth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Heres another edition of an old comparison
    >
    > Bontrager Mustangs or Valiants?????????

    Do a google search of the newsgroups rec.bicycles.tech with the qualifiers "Strange MTB Rim
    Failure." The date of the thread was around Oct. 27, 2002.

  9. The Truth

    The Truth Guest

    So which way did you go now???

    Rignt now, Im pretty high on the Mustangs. Ceramic or not, Im going to need new hoops in 3-5 years.

    "Bikezelbub Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "The Truth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Heres another edition of an old comparison
    > >
    > > Bontrager Mustangs or Valiants?????????
    > >

    > Do a google search of the newsgroups rec.bicycles.tech with the qualifiers "Strange MTB Rim
    > Failure." The date of the thread was around Oct. 27, 2002.

  10. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark Hickey wrote:

    >> I'm curious as to whether or not you buy anodized (non silver) rims. It's been my experience that
    >> non-anodized rims almost never crack, while anodized rims do quite often.

    >Black, anodized. I've been told that Mavic had problems with their anodization process which is
    >one of the reasons that I went to the Mustangs. If this latest rim goes as fast as the others
    >(it's at just over 4k-miles, about the failure time of the others), I'm going to go with a silver
    >Sun Rhino Lite next -- or just start considering the rims to be yet another "consumable" part that
    >I replace on a semiregular basis. I hate to say it, but I just like the way that black rims look
    >on my bike :).

    You could use a magic marker! ;-)

    The anodizing layer is VERY thin, but is also very brittle. It cracks (teeny little microscopic
    cracks) and that tends to concentrate the normal stresses around the spoke holes at those cracks.
    That can cause the crack to spread to the underlying aluminum rim.

    I predict that Rhino Lite will last a good long while.