Bontrager Race X Lites to replace Spinergy Rev-X xtra lite?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by TEK, Jul 14, 2003.

1. TEK

TEK New Member

I've got Spinergy Rev-X xtra lites (I'm a dinosaur) for which I have an opportunity to replace w/ Bontrager Race X-Lites at a little under $500/pr. USD. Will they make a noticeable difference? Should I stick w/ aero? Does anyone know how they compare w/ the darlings du jour (Kysrium SL, etc.)? I do a lot of time trial, fast paceline riding, but also like to climb, if that helps. Thanks!

Tags:

2. lemmy999

lemmy999 New Member

I have heard nothing but good things about the Race X Lite wheels. They are just as light as the Kysirium SL wheels and I have heard they are MUCH more durable. Actually, I am looking for some of these wheels too. The cheapest I have found them is $550. Do you mind sharing where you are buying them?

3. TEK

TEK New Member

My pleasure: I bought them at Pete's Bike Shop in Flemington, NJ, which IMHO is one of the best bike shops in Northwestern NJ. Very easy going to work with and just plain good guys who also like to ride. If you're not near this area, you can call them at 908-782-5935 since they probably ship and my experience is that most shops will sell over the phone. They were substantially less than the price you have, but a friend and I did a "twofer," and got a great price. If you call, ask for Dan or George and mention that Tony sent you. Good luck.

PS I have not tried the wheels yet, as I am debating the tires and tubes to put on them, together w/ a new freewheel. I'm thinking about some Veloflex tires (150 or 180g) and superlight tubes (50-60g) for occasional fast rides, although I'm not too keen on 22mm tires.

4. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

Funny you say that because Mavic wheels are known for durability, especially the Kysiriums.