Bontrager Race XLite rear problems

WalterDreyer

Dec 10, 2010
I bought this wheel used from ebay. Upon arrival I found out it wouldn't fit on my hybrid. I saved it for when I got a road bike. I now have tried to put it on but the free hub drags. LBS put on a new free hub, to no effect. I replaced the bearings in the free hub, still no good. I can't seem to find an expert on these wheels. The axle seems to be stuck in the hub. Is it pressed in or is it stuck, and could this be the reason the free hub wont freewheel. It turns fine until you clamp it into the bike. When it is under tension from the skewer, is when the freehub drags.

Hi

Since this is a Bontrager wheel i would contact your local Trek dealer. They may be aware of any known issues with these wheels. That other shops may not.I have Bontrager race lite wheels, & do not have this issue. If the axle sticks, & all the bearings & free hub have been replaced, maybe the axle is slightly bent.

This depends a lot on what year model it is. Pre 2008 the higher end bontragers (such as the Race X Lite) used DT designed hubs and internals. They are quite easy to take apart since they require only a vice and axle box. If it is a DT hub then you should be able to follow service instructions and diagrams on the DT Swiss website.

The current bontragers use some other brand hub whose name they don't advertise.

My guess would be that there is a spacer missing somewhere which keeps the freehub separate and spinning freely from the hub body.

As you found out, hybrid bikes tend to have MTB rear spacing which precludes the use of any road bike wheels.

I have no idea what year it is. I bought it a over a year ago. The LBS is a Trek dealer, and they just gave up. I'm a mechanical guy, have done all my own car repairs for years, so I'm not willing to just give up. Thanks for the idea to look at DT,s website.If nothing else maybe I can contact someone there who could tell me how this thing is supposed to go together and come apart. By the way, what is an axle box?