Bontrager Racelite 700c rims have grown to 712c!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rdy4trvl, Jun 2, 2007.

1. rdy4trvl

rdy4trvl New Member

I own a 2006 Trek 5.2 with Bontrager Racelite wheels. It is nearly impossible to install tires on these rims. I recently purchased (and returned) some Michelin Speedium tires - I could not even get these on the rim. It just took me 30 minutes to mount a Hutchinson tire in my home (hope I never have a flat while on the road). I finally gave up and used a tire lever INSTALL the tire. I've changed hundreds of tires in my life (first two jobs were in bike shops) so I do have experience.
    Has anyone else has similar problems with these rims?
    Thanks

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

I had a very tight fit with new Hutchinson tires on Racelites--took using tire levers and a few minutes to stretch on that last bit, but when I had a flat, it wasn't too bad. I think that the tire bead was tight and stretched a bit with riding, and the rim is probably a bit on the larger side. I did not previously have trouble mounting some old Continentals on the same wheels.

3. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Rims for 700c wheels are 622mm BSD. ;)

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

This is good to know! I currently have a pair of Bontrager Racelites coming to me. I guess I better invest in a set of industrial strength tire levers.

5. capwater

capwater New Member

Tire in the dryer, especially for new rubber. Older stuff isn't as much of a problem. Yup, Racelites have a tendency to be slightly oversized for some reason.

6. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

I had similar problems mounting tires on Sun CR18 rims. Problem was it was impossible! I solved the problem by using thinner (not in width) rim tape. I was using Performance bikes equivalent of Velox, and an equal length of the woven nylon tape that I had in my garage (not a bike product) was a little more than half the thickness when wound on a cylinder next to the P.B. Velox. Experiment with a different rim tape and be sure that you butt the front and rear edges of the tape (don't overlap it). I know this sounds far fetched but it completely fixed the problem and I can now mount tires without to much trouble.

If you rim holes are 8MM you can also try Veloplugs, the sellers of these claim that they make tire mounting much easier. Good Luck!

7. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

This is probably stating the obvious, but clinchers with KEVLAR beads are tighter than the SAME tire (when available) with WIRE beads; so, unless you worked at a bike shop since the turn-of-the-Century, your frustration may be exacerbated by the tire's bead material & memory of mounting tires with wire beads.