Bontrager Seatpost Leveling Problem

Trek_Athlete

Apr 12, 2006
I have a 2005 Trek 1200 which is equipped with a Bontrager Select carbon seatpost and a Bontrager Race Lux saddle. The saddle looks moderately unlevel and a level also shows this to be true. I cannot fine-tune the level of the saddle because where the saddle rotates there are ridges that help lock it in place when the bolt is tightened. If I adjust the saddle only one ridge it points down. Can I level this saddle accurately? If I am unclear in my explanation let me know. Hopefully someone owns this same seatpost and knows what I mean.

Try it anyway and see how it feels. Do you need the seat adjusted because of comfort issues, or do you just think it should be level? Very few people ride with a saddle that's perfectly level. The optimum angle depends on anatomy and how the rest of the bike is set up.

Trek_Athlete said:
I have a 2005 Trek 1200 which is equipped with a Bontrager Select carbon seatpost and a Bontrager Race Lux saddle. The saddle looks moderately unlevel and a level also shows this to be true. (snip)
If I ever see you or your pathetic unlevel saddle out on the road, I will certainly laugh at you and spit in your face. :D

Seriously though, as artmichalek said, just pick the closest position that feels best.

Trek_Athlete said:
I have a 2005 Trek 1200 which is equipped with a Bontrager Select carbon seatpost and a Bontrager Race Lux saddle. The saddle looks moderately unlevel and a level also shows this to be true. I cannot fine-tune the level of the saddle because where the saddle rotates there are ridges that help lock it in place when the bolt is tightened. If I adjust the saddle only one ridge it points down. Can I level this saddle accurately? If I am unclear in my explanation let me know. Hopefully someone owns this same seatpost and knows what I mean.

Agree with the others, but if you do need to have the saddle at a position in between the ridges to get comfortable, you may need a new seatpost that microadjusts.

John M said:
Agree with the others, but if you do need to have the saddle at a position in between the ridges to get comfortable, you may need a new seatpost that microadjusts.
This is what I was wondering. My seatpost seems to adjust in 3 to 5 degree increments!

Out of all of the dozens of 1000, 1200, and 1500s I've built, none have been able to have a PERFECTLY level saddle. An aftermarket saddle should be able to do the trick if you can find one to offset the few degrees that the seatpost notches are at.

Trek_Athlete said:

I was doing seat angle adjustments today on two of my bikes and had the same frustration. In my opinion, far too many seat posts adjust in too many degrees per adjustment.

Hi,
I have a Bontrager Race saddle and when ever I tighten it in doesn't stay level but angles forward a bit. It gets really anoying because I had the seat perfect and when I sat on it it angled down again. But I know how to fix the problem.

You get one person to hold the saddle up and then you tighten it. If the person holding it up keeps the pressure on it it should stay level. But beware when you ride on it squeaks a few times.

Ride like you've never rode before.

Little Lance.

ToffoIsMe said:
An aftermarket saddle should be able to do the trick if you can find one to offset the few degrees that the seatpost notches are at.
If it's really that important, you can just file the teeth off all together.

Postie said:
I was doing seat angle adjustments today on two of my bikes and had the same frustration. In my opinion, far too many seat posts adjust in too many degrees per adjustment.
It is nice to know someone out there understands me. I may just have to get a new seatpost because with it pointing up a few degrees, it can be slightly uncomfortable. I read in "The Lance Armstrong Performance Program" and "The Ultimate Ride" that, ideally, the saddle should be level for road riding but certain conditions, such as an arched back, may require an other-than-level saddle.