Bontrager Select tire width information

Noel Llopis

Guest
I didn't find much information about these tires, so I'll post my findings for other people.

I was searching for slick tires for a commuter bike with 700c wheels. In particular, I was looking
at something in the 32-35 mm range like the Avocet Fasgrip or Panaracer Pasela.

Since I was in my LBS anyway, I decided to ask what they had for that and it turns out they had some
Bontrager Select tires that seemed to meet the requirements. They were almost slick (had more of a
decorative thread pattern than anything), they were 700c and came in 32 and 35 sizes. So on the spur
of the moment decided to give them a try.

I knew tire manufacturers overrate their tires and often say they're wider than they really are, but
this was just ridiculous. I bought the 32mm one hoping it would be about 30 mm, but once it was
mounted (on a 22 mm rim) it measured only at 25mm!!!

Needless to say, I'm going back and returning them. I'll either get the 35mm ones (which they'll end
up measuring at around 28mm I suppose) or I'll order some Avocets from Sheldon.

Interestingly, Bontrager does not list the 700c x 35 as one of the options on their web site, but I
saw it with my own eyes yesterday:
http://www.bontrager.com/roadtires/detail.asp?id=102&pt=9&ck=0&fl=0

--Noel

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:26:44 GMT, Noel Llopis
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I didn't find much information about these tires, so I'll post my findings for other people.
>
>I was searching for slick tires for a commuter bike with 700c wheels. In particular, I was looking
>at something in the 32-35 mm range like the Avocet Fasgrip or Panaracer Pasela.
>
>Since I was in my LBS anyway, I decided to ask what they had for that and it turns out they had
>some Bontrager Select tires that seemed to meet the requirements. They were almost slick (had more
>of a decorative thread pattern than anything), they were 700c and came in 32 and 35 sizes. So on
>the spur of the moment decided to give them a try.
>
>I knew tire manufacturers overrate their tires and often say they're wider than they really are,
>but this was just ridiculous. I bought the 32mm one hoping it would be about 30 mm, but once it was
>mounted (on a 22 mm rim) it measured only at 25mm!!!
>
>Needless to say, I'm going back and returning them. I'll either get the 35mm ones (which they'll
>end up measuring at around 28mm I suppose) or I'll order some Avocets from Sheldon.
>
>Interestingly, Bontrager does not list the 700c x 35 as one of the options on their web site, but I
>saw it with my own eyes yesterday:
>http://www.bontrager.com/roadtires/detail.asp?id=102&pt=9&ck=0&fl=0
>

>--Noel

I've noticed the same thing. I mounted some Bontrager Select 700x23 tires on my Matrix Iso II rims.
They looked more like 20mm, but I didn't measure. I just wore them out on the trainer.

The widths of higer-end Bontrager models seem more in line with other tire brands.