Bontrager Wheel Failure - Replacement Options

mark444

Feb 17, 2008
My Bontrager Select rear wheel has developed a crack in the rim. The crack is around one of the spokes and looks like a very strong force has started to pull the spoke out of the rim causing the failure.

I am going to call the bike shop this morning to see if this is covered under warranty (Bontrager says the wheel is covered for 5 years on their website).

If I cannot get it replaced under warranty does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement real wheel? I have Shimano 8 speed components and SRAM cassette.

I am a heavy rider (225lbs) and do about 2-2.5k miles a year. I am also on a budget so if there is a wheel out there for me please help.

Thanks very much.

Mark

mark444 said:
My Bontrager Select rear wheel has developed a crack in the rim. The crack is around one of the spokes and looks like a very strong force has started to pull the spoke out of the rim causing the failure.

I am going to call the bike shop this morning to see if this is covered under warranty (Bontrager says the wheel is covered for 5 years on their website).

If I cannot get it replaced under warranty does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement real wheel? I have Shimano 8 speed components and SRAM cassette.

I am a heavy rider (225lbs) and do about 2-2.5k miles a year. I am also on a budget so if there is a wheel out there for me please help.

Thanks very much.

Mark
Velcoity Deep V rim quality built on Shimano Ultegra hub with Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes. Make sure the wheel is properly tensioned and stabilized. I can build such a wheel for you.

mark444 said:

Thanks very much.

Mark

Bont will warranty.

daveornee said:
Velcoity Deep V rim quality built on Shimano Ultegra hub with Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes. Make sure the wheel is properly tensioned and stabilized. I can build such a wheel for you.
Dave,
I'm just curious, what would be the price and delivery time of such a wheel? I also have a set of Bontrager wheels and I am concerned as I have heard that there are a lot of failures with them. You can PM a price if you don't want to post it here.

Thanks,
Ken

kdelong said:
Dave,
I'm just curious, what would be the price and delivery time of such a wheel? I also have a set of Bontrager wheels and I am concerned as I have heard that there are a lot of failures with them. You can PM a price if you don't want to post it here.

Thanks,
Ken
$170 plus shipping.
Build schedule is about 5 days at this time.
Delivery depends on mode and distance.
I am in suburban Chicago, IL