Bontrager wheelsets

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
I've noticed that around here, not many people use Bontrager wheelsets. Are they weak or are they just too expensive and really not worth it?

I'm also looking to upgrade to a pre-manufactured set (no wheelbuilders in my area). Looking to spend about $400-$600 (race day wheels). I've been looking at Mavic wheelsets but don't really know what would be the most beneficial to me. Thanks

I seem them around a fair bit. They have a range from Selects up to Race X Lites, lower end being cheap with the higher end getting up there in costs (although not the very high end).

There have been issues with cracked rims a couple of years ago that might have scared folks off them.

My Lemond came with them since Lemond is owned by Trek the company spreads the wealth so to speak. The Race Lites I had kind of sucked. They came out of true continuously and my rear wheel actually had a spoke nipple break, but replaced under warranty. I bought a pair of Mavic Cosmos, the $300 pair and they have been great. Definately not a race wheel, but good for training and Century's.

I bought a 2004 LeMond Tourmalet last February, which came with Bontrager Selects stock. I am 6'1," 206lbs and I have had absolutely no trouble with these wheels. They have stayed true since then and have had no spoke issues whatsoever. I was worried about them and their durability, and almost swapped them out when i got the bike but was talked into keeping them. I have no regrets at all.

Now Bontrager Select tires, on the other hand........:confused:

Cheers,

Brian

I have those Bontrager Select tires that you speak of. I haven't had the chance (meaning "the money") to replace them yet...and they are, let's say, poor. Hopefully this summer, I can replace them.

-Bill

I got *** lite tires and they're beautiful. I can take turns pretty well and seem to keep most traction. No flats yet!

I have Race X Lites on my bike now, only because my new wheels (Alex Crostini R3.1/3.2 24/28, Sapim CX-Rays, and White H1 hubs) haven't arrived yet. Prolly tomorrow. I'll never put another Bontrager product on my bike. The rear hub flange design, especially the drive side is horrible. Yes, I was one of those who had a Race X Lite ds hub flange disintegrate. The thing to remember is that when the flange breaks, you don't lose just one spoke, you lose two on the same side, because the stupid flange has a giant slot which holds to spoke heads. Sure the hubs are made by DT; however, DT doesn't use that design on any of its hubs. A few builders and riders I've talked to are sure that design came from Bontrager, not DT. Take that for what it's worth. It is just speculation after all.....

The more expensive Bontragers do roll nice, but that's because of the DT hub internals, not because of anything Bontrager contributed. I just can't put faith in such a bad design, especially a design that seems to favor fashion over function.

I used to think that my dream wheelset was a set of Lightweight wheels, but when my wife saw their price, she nixed that. 's alright. Next month I'm having a second set built w/ Reynolds DV-UL rims, White Industries H1 hubs, and Pillar Ti spokes. Can you say "1000g wheelset?"

I use Bontrager Selects on a cross bike that sees plenty of rough road use. One set is shod with cross tires and the other with Bontrager Race tires. I weigh around 185 lbs and have had no mechanical trouble with them, though they aren't the slickest rolling wheels and have needed occasional spoke tightening all around (because I'm such a porker). These wheels have taken a BEATING. Given their weight and solid performance I would recommend them for someone looking for an inexpensive set (under 200$)for daily use, but if I was a racer and could afford something better I would go with a Mavic Elite. I lust for a set of SL myself but.........

alienator said:
I have Race X Lites on my bike now, only because my new wheels (Alex Crostini R3.1/3.2 24/28, Sapim CX-Rays, and White H1 hubs) haven't arrived yet. Prolly tomorrow. I'll never put another Bontrager product on my bike. The rear hub flange design, especially the drive side is horrible. Yes, I was one of those who had a Race X Lite ds hub flange disintegrate. The thing to remember is that when the flange breaks, you don't lose just one spoke, you lose two on the same side, because the stupid flange has a giant slot which holds to spoke heads. Sure the hubs are made by DT; however, DT doesn't use that design on any of its hubs. A few builders and riders I've talked to are sure that design came from Bontrager, not DT. Take that for what it's worth. It is just speculation after all.....

The more expensive Bontragers do roll nice, but that's because of the DT hub internals, not because of anything Bontrager contributed. I just can't put faith in such a bad design, especially a design that seems to favor fashion over function.

I used to think that my dream wheelset was a set of Lightweight wheels, but when my wife saw their price, she nixed that. 's alright. Next month I'm having a second set built w/ Reynolds DV-UL rims, White Industries H1 hubs, and Pillar Ti spokes. Can you say "1000g wheelset?"
Prolly?

Seriously....come on dude!!!! Why do people use this "word?":rolleyes: :mad:

baj32161 said:
Prolly?

Seriously....come on dude!!!! Why do people use this "word?":rolleyes: :mad:

Prolly 'cuz this is an informal setting, an informal form of communication, and we're not being graded, here.

FWIW, using "prolly" is no different than saying something like, "BTW, you're being a bit too anal about the grammar, Francis."

I have had terrible luck with Bontrager. The Select wheels that came stock on my bike went out of true continuously. I had the rear wheel warrantied, but it kept happening. So I bought some Campy Zondas and they've stayed perfectly true. The Bontrager Race crank that also came with the bike developed a warp that caused my chain to rub on the front derailleur, which couldn't even be remedied by a derailleur adjustment. So I chucked that for an Ultegra crank. No problems since. I won't buy another Bontrager product.

I use the Bontrager Race wheels that came on my Trek 2200. I can say that I've pretty much had zero problems with the wheels. I am 6' 3" and my weight bounces between 210lbs and 230lbs. In the 2000 miles I've put on those wheels, I've had zero issues with them. I ride by the store I bought it at often, and sometimes do their group rides. I was in there with my bike the other day. I talk to the head mechanic a lot and asked him if he could check my wheels for trueness. The rear wheel was off a little, but still very good and rideable. The front one needed no adjustment.

The only thing I'd say about them (and it's probably true of all wheels with bladed spokes), is I don't know how to true them myself. I tried a few weeks ago before asking the mechanic (I've trued round spokes before), and when I attempted, I kept turning the blades. I probably just needed to hold the blade in position, but I'll learn next time.

-Matt

mattjf said:
I tried a few weeks ago before asking the mechanic (I've trued round spokes before), and when I attempted, I kept turning the blades. I probably just needed to hold the blade in position, but I'll learn next time.
Vise grips with the jaws wrapped in electrical tape. Round spokes also wind up, but it's harder to see.

alienator said:

The Race X-lite rear hub failed on my buddy's Madone 5.2 last Saturday. Bike is about 2 months old. He weighs 165 lbs, does a lot of climbing at fairly high output. Trek dealer said it's a known problem, that they would take care of right away. I'm curious to see what the replacement wheel looks like.

Still, have to wonder about Trek's quality approach. If they know about the problem, why are they putting out $2500+ bikes with these defective wheels on them? Perhaps they figure a majority of the customers don't really use these bikes hard, just putter around the neighborhood or on bikepaths, so it's cheaper to just replace those that fail on the customer.

alienator said:
Prolly 'cuz this is an informal setting, an informal form of communication, and we're not being graded, here.

FWIW, using "prolly" is no different than saying something like, "BTW, you're being a bit too anal about the grammar, Francis."
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn:rolleyes: :confused:

alienator said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn:rolleyes: :(

alienator said:
Yeah, you're prolly right: you're a bit too boring.
That may be true, but at least I am not a lazy idiot:rolleyes:

Enough of this thread hijack.