Bontrager Woes

Graphxbiz

Feb 19, 2004
After having gone in circles with the online "rep" Jeff at Bontrager, I have gotten nowhere with the deteriorating/flaking finish on my RaceLite road cranks. Even after sending him requested pictures of the deterioration and supplying the name and address of the dealer I purchased them through he still had the balls to say that he sent a new set to them and I that I sould go pick them up on a certain day, well, that day came and wouldn't you know it, the guy at the dealer didn't have a clue or know who Jeff from Bontrager was. Weeks after having sent two emails to my buddy Jeff regarding the promised cranks I have heard nothing.

I have decided to give up and send the cranks back to Bontrager and take the loss as a lesson learned so if anyone has the mailing address to Bontrager headquarters (can't seem to find it on their website. Hmm, wonder why?) I would greatly appreciated it.

As a side note, I have found out that I am not the only sucker with shotty equipment from Bontrager.

Is the finish just flaking off by itself, or are your shoes rubbing against the cranks?

Graphxbiz said:
After having gone in circles with the online "rep" Jeff at Bontrager, I have gotten nowhere with the deteriorating/flaking finish on my RaceLite road cranks. Even after sending him requested pictures of the deterioration and supplying the name and address of the dealer I purchased them through he still had the balls to say that he sent a new set to them and I that I sould go pick them up on a certain day, well, that day came and wouldn't you know it, the guy at the dealer didn't have a clue or know who Jeff from Bontrager was. Weeks after having sent two emails to my buddy Jeff regarding the promised cranks I have heard nothing.

I have decided to give up and send the cranks back to Bontrager and take the loss as a lesson learned so if anyone has the mailing address to Bontrager headquarters (can't seem to find it on their website. Hmm, wonder why?) I would greatly appreciated it.

As a side note, I have found out that I am not the only sucker with shotty equipment from Bontrager.
Not to take away from your poor customer service experience but the damage to your crank arms looks a lot like normal wear and tear from your shoes.

Personally, Ive never liked Bontrager components. I'll never forget when a woman came in to the shop after buying a bike with part of her left crank arm in one hand and the bike in the other. Thing just cracked right on her as she pedalled out the door.

Next time, try to get the warranty done through your shop directly. Shops get much faster responses and sometimes will just give you a new part and send the old part back.

Graphxbiz said:

Sorry all, I failed to mention that the cranks are less than 10 months old and what your seeing in the pics is actually the finish bubbling and flaking and is happening front and back, pedal to spindle and NOT rubbing from my foot.

That looks terrible, I have the cheaper Bonty Race cranks on my trek and, while they are pretty scratched up, the finish didn't come off. Bontrager should give you a replacement crankset.

As far as I know Bontrager is owned by Trek.... could be wrong. I would go to a higher power and keep on trying. As a business owner I know how inportant it is to keep clients happy. And I am sure there is a top person who would love to help you out. Go above Jeff (or whoever) and get it done right. I ride a Trek with Bontrager components and love my bike to bits. It has 2500 miles on and not a blemish...(except from me dropping the bike on a few rides) Good luck