Bontrager xxx lite carbon clincher wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sethjkay, Sep 30, 2004.

1. sethjkay

sethjkay New Member

Just testing the water really - I have a Trek Madone SSL on order and its due in just before christmas (fingers crossed!!). This bike comes complete with the new 2005 Bontrager xxx lite carbon clincher wheelset. I already have my race wheelset and am perfectly happy with them so would be looking to sell the Bontragers as soon as I get the bike. Obviously they would be brand new and in mint condition - would anybody on this forum be interested?
    Thanks for reading
    Seth

Tags:

2. 1x1

1x1 New Member

I thought the XXX Lites were tubular only...am I mistaken?

3. bigfloppyllama

bigfloppyllama New Member

Trek dumbed them down for the SSL so that any old person could use them without worrying about tubulars. No way I'd ever be interested in a carbon clincher, but I'm curious as to how much they weigh.

4. pcubed

pcubed New Member

yeah...i might be interested...how much are you asking...drop me an email at [email protected]ks..

5. Mulli

Mulli New Member

I tries also to get a Madone SSL in Switzerland, but it's impossibel to get one! Cause they didn't preorder enough bikes! I heard about three. And I also tried to get one direct from the Eropean Import. No Chance! :mad: :mad:
    Now I'm nearly to give up!!! Maybe I'll try to get a Madone 5.9SL! :confused:

6. sethjkay

sethjkay New Member

Yes - I heard that there are only 300 being made initially - the bike shop that I ordered mine with work very closely with Trek and they secured my order very early - Trek UK said that they only had one size 62 (my size) available/coming in to the country so I ordered straight away to secure the bike - I just hope that there is no hiccup/U-Turn regarding availability of the bike that I've ordered, you just never know - fingers crossed!!!

7. Mulli

Mulli New Member

So you got your bike in UK? Only sizes 62? I'm looking for a 56! I'm sure you will get a great bike! It's one of the nicest I ever seen!:D
    How much do you want for the wheels (with tires, cassette?) and do you know the wheight?:confused:

8. BRUCEWIN

BRUCEWIN New Member

I would be interested. What are you asking?

9. sethjkay

sethjkay New Member

I'm not sure how much I'm going to be asking for at the moment - Bontrager haven't released prices or info on the wheels just yet and as they are a new model for 2005 I'm not sure of the retail price. Although I will be selling them brand new/never used I will be asking slightly below the retail price to make the offer nice and tempting/good value. Please note that these wheels will be full carbon clinchers not tubs. I will know more details when my new bike arrives which will hopefully be just before Christmas, but this may change - I am very much at the mercy of Trek's production speed.
    If anybody else is interested just post a message here with your email address and I'll keep you updated regarding prices and arrival dates.
    Thanks
    Seth Kay

10. Mulli

Mulli New Member

Hi Seth!

The xxx wheels 2005 costs 2499 Sfr. in Switzerland! This are the Shop Prices!
    I'm looking for clinchers, if they are not to heavy! I heard that they are 1290g! My XXX tubular are 1210! That would be okay...
    Yes Trek is very selden on time with the orders. Especially in Switzerland!
    What do you think about 5.9SL? That's the one I can get here! I'm really disapointed, that I can't get the SSL...:mad: :mad:

Rolf

11. sethjkay

sethjkay New Member

Hi Rolf
    Glad to hear that you found some info on the wheels - where did you find it? then I can check it out.
    The 5.9SL will be a fine, fine bike - the bontrager xxx lite carbon clincher wheels will add to an already great set up.
    Have you thought about getting a project one paint job - then you could get the bike looking exactly how you want it to. If not I would personally go for the andromeda finish they offer as standard: http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005...59&category=road&subcategory=PERFORMANCE ROAD
    I think this looks better than the team pearl white/satin silver finish.
    Ultimately It's your choice but whatever you go for I think it will be worth the wait.
    Lance didn't actually use the SSL during the Tour, he used the 5.9SL for all stages so I think it should be a pretty decent bike!!
    Cheers
    Seth

12. Mulli

Mulli New Member

I think I'll take the team pearl white/satin frame! I saw all the bikes at the eurobike! And I think the team pearl white/satin looks better then the andromeda in nature! In the brochure is it othersite!
    I was really thinking about Project one, but it takes at least 3 month till I would get the bike....:mad:
    I read the infos about the wheels in the german magazine "Radsport". The Price I got from the swiss price list!
    Rolf