Bontrager *** Lite Tubular + Powertap SL ?

velobob

Sep 15, 2004
I have a set of *** lite tubular wheels and I just got a new 24 hole PT SL. I got the PT intending to lace it up to the rear rim as I thought it would ideal for training and racing but now am having second thoughts. Two aspects to my dilemma:

a) I would want to use the wheel for training and racing but do I really want to train on tubulars (I know there are lots of discussion out there and if it weren't for the fact that I have the wheels already I probably would go with a clincher rim)

b) Is it somewhat self-defeating to take a super light rear wheel and make it heavier with the PT SL hub ?

My other option is to just get a clincher rim for the PT SL (maybe the Velocity, Mavic CXP33 or DT RR 1.2) and keep the *** lites as-is or even sell them.

Any insights much appreciated!

velobob said:
I have a set of *** lite tubular wheels and I just got a new 24 hole PT SL. I got the PT intending to lace it up to the rear rim as I thought it would ideal for training and racing but now am having second thoughts. Two aspects to my dilemma:

a) I would want to use the wheel for training and racing but do I really want to train on tubulars (I know there are lots of discussion out there and if it weren't for the fact that I have the wheels already I probably would go with a clincher rim)

b) Is it somewhat self-defeating to take a super light rear wheel and make it heavier with the PT SL hub ?

My other option is to just get a clincher rim for the PT SL (maybe the Velocity, Mavic CXP33 or DT RR 1.2) and keep the *** lites as-is or even sell them.

Any insights much appreciated!

the other issue is that the rim is drilled for paired spokes and the hub is not. If you look at standard hubs, the holes are not drilled straight across from each other. Where as hubs made for paired spokes with have the holes drilled exactly the same on both flanges.

i'm sure you can lace it up any way, but i'm not sure of how that effects spokes lengths, overall wheel strength or how well it will be truable.

as far as a rim that would be a good sub, i'd go with either the mavic cp33, open pro or the dt1.1/2.1 .

train on tubulars only if you are ok with carrying an extra pre-glued tire, or some vittoria pit stop.

if you could get the SL laced into the *** rim, it would be a sweet set up, as adding weight to the hub is more akin to adding weight to the frame, you will notice it many times more if you add weight to the rim, where the *** is very very light. (i race on ***'s and love them, great for crits and climbing.)

I didn't realize that point about the paired spokes - darn! I'll prob just go with a semi aero rim like the DT and have a 1.3kg rear wheel :(

I guess I could shell out the big $$ for a carbon rim like Zipp 250 rim as well. Hmmm.