Book "Divorce Your Car" new edition suggests ebikes

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Meditationman, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Book "Divorce Your Car" new edition suggests ebikes

Alford's newest edition of "Divorce Your Car" has some interesting electric bikes including
    solar-charged ones.

Divorce Your Car also has some shocking statistics:

Cost per mile: $0.47 direct costs plus nearly $3 in costs to society ... that's for an average
    vehicle, higher for SUVs

It takes only "will" to get rid of the auto addiction; many have been able to kick the addiction.

"Car Expense" is now the highest item on a family's budget, exceeding food and shelter.

Now, if we can only get thru the 4 common objections to biking, we might get more people to e-bike:
    1) The saddle isn't comfortable
    2) It is too dangerous to bike
    3) Bikes get stolen too easily
    4) I get too many flats

... these are the less common objections, too:
    5) I can't bike uphill
    6) My trip (under 6 miles) is too far for biking with my weak knees
    7) I've already got a Porsche and don't have room for a bike
    8) My girlfriend is too fat to get on a bike
    9) I want a bike that makes noise like my Yamaha

Tags:

2. Tanya Quinn

Tanya Quinn Guest

> Now, if we can only get thru the 4 common objections to biking, we might get more people
    > to e-bike:
    > 1) The saddle isn't comfortable
    > 2) It is too dangerous to bike
    > 3) Bikes get stolen too easily
    > 4) I get too many flats

Ya know I really don't think a common reason many people will drive their SUV around instead of a
    bicycle is fear of flats. :) And the saddle isn't comfortable isn't really what their complaint is -
    its more that the whole idea of being on a bicycle exposed to the elements isn't as nice as my cushy
    car seats, a/c, protection from the elements, coffee holder, stereo. Nor do I think fear of the bike
    getting stolen is stopping people from getting out of their cars, although it may push a commuter
    that didn't lock their bike well back there. The main reasons people do not want to bike in my
    opinion are (in this order):
    1. Fear of traffic / perception of danger
    2. Fear of exercise / too much inertia for them to overcome / perception of it being too far to work
    (and it some cases it is!) / feeling uncoordinated
    3. Perception of it taking them too much time to bike to work (not realizing that in congested urban
    traffic a bike can be faster!)
    4. I have to dress up for work (feeling its too much trouble to change there, or really just a
    better sounding reason than saying I'm too lazy) / or perceiving its too inconvenient to
    transport their stuff there

Of course this applies to sunny warm but not too hot days. In case of other weather, most people
    would perceive its not good weather for being on a bike.

Electric bikes may encourage people that feel their commute is just a little too far for their
    energy level to get started at it, but they are probably better off switching back after they get
    going to a normal bike anyway :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.