book recommendation

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dh, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. Dh

    Dh Guest

    I was in the library today (a Dutch library) and saw a few excellent books in Dutch on how to
    maintain your bike plus a history of bikes, etc. I thought of ordering one in English from Amazon as
    a gift to myself and was wondering if there are any specific books you guys can recommend.

    I'm looking for something that covers repairs and has lots of pictures of various kinds of bike
    throughout history.

    Thanks, Dave Horne

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, DH says...

    >I was in the library today (a Dutch library) and saw a few excellent books in Dutch on how to
    >maintain your bike plus a history of bikes, etc. I thought of ordering one in English from Amazon
    >as a gift to myself and was wondering if there are any specific books you guys can recommend.
    >
    >I'm looking for something that covers repairs and has lots of pictures of various kinds of bike
    >throughout history.
    >
    >Thanks, Dave Horne

    David,

    The absolute best book I know of for repairs and maintaince would be Barnett's Bicycle Manual:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931382298/qid=1067620238/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-00301-
    18-3567006?v=glance&s=books

    It's expensive, at $80 to $90 US, but it's also over 1000 pages, and is extremely detailed with
    step by step procedures. It's not a history book though, so you'll have to get another
    recommendation for that.

    Steve Christensen Midland, MI

  3. Dh

    Dh Guest

    Steve, thanks for the tip. I see at Amazon that the book is paperback. Do you think the book will
    hold up well? I really hate buying paperbacks and do not mind spending more money for a bound book.
    Thanks, Dave

  4. In article <[email protected]>, DH says...

    >Steve, thanks for the tip. I see at Amazon that the book is paperback. Do you think the book will
    >hold up well? I really hate buying paperbacks and do not mind spending more money for a bound book.
    >Thanks, Dave

    I'm not sure about the new 2003 edition, but my earlier edition comes with all of the sheets
    perforated along the edge and pre-punched for an American style three ring binder. The binding
    wasn't really meanst to be used long term, and the pages would fall out after awhile, so that I went
    ahead and moved all of the pages into three medium sized binders. This makes sense for a shop, which
    typically has a table with a row of catalogs and manuals all in binders, but might be less than
    desirable for home use. I don't think it even comes hardbound.

    So no I don't like the binding, but the instruction is so good that I would encourage you to buy it
    anyway, and just repunch it for the european style 2 ring binders.

    Steve Christensen

  5. Richard's 21st Century Bicycle Book, by Richard Ballantine. Accept no substitute.

    Caveat: Richard is a mate, but it's still a very fine work.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Dave Larrington must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Richard's 21st Century Bicycle Book, by Richard Ballantine. Accept no substitute.
    >
    > Caveat: Richard is a mate, but it's still a very fine work.
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    > Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

    I agree, one of the few books that acknowledge the existence of recumbents, how certain books can
    claim to be "complete" but ignore recumbents is odd.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  7. Dh

    Dh Guest

    Dave, I've already ordered the book you suggested and had it shipped to a friend in the US who will
    be visiting us in a few weeks. Thanks, DH

  8. On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:55:26 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Richard's 21st Century Bicycle Book, by Richard Ballantine. Accept no substitute.
    >
    >Caveat: Richard is a mate, but it's still a very fine work.
    >
    >Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/

    Given your domain name, your endorsement carries a great deal of weight.

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:55:26 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Richard's 21st Century Bicycle Book, by Richard Ballantine. Accept no substitute.
    > >
    > >Caveat: Richard is a mate, but it's still a very fine work.
    > >
    > >Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    >
    > Given your domain name, your endorsement carries a great deal of weight.

    Never trust a man who doesn't drink. ;)

    Tom Sherman - Recumbent Pedant Curmudgeon

    "Don't Have a Cow, Man!" - Bart Simpson