Book Recommendations?

likeafox

Oct 18, 2010
Does anyone have any suggestions for informative books on bike building/repair?

I'm looking for some comprehensive material (it could also be a collection of books or other type of resource), including and not limited to things like: repair, maintenence, tools of the trade, design principles, differences of parts and materials (how to decide which part is best for the job), part manufacturers, accessories, on-the-road repair (or even other cycling tips an average rider may not know could be useful), etc.. Also attributes and features of the various types of bikes, but focusing on road/racing bikes, mountain bikes, hybrid bikes, and winterized bikes, since those are the ones I'd like to work with.

As for difficulty level, I don't have much experience, but I do have some basic knowledge. Just to give you an idea, I own three bikes and I've gotten so far as being able to straighten my wheels on a truing stand.

So far I've liked the reviews of the ZINN series books ( one of them: http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1934030422/ )

Thanks for your replies.

Originally Posted by likeafox .

Does anyone have any suggestions for informative books on bike building/repair?

I'm looking for some comprehensive material (it could also be a collection of books or other type of resource), including and not limited to things like: repair, maintenence, tools of the trade, design principles, differences of parts and materials (how to decide which part is best for the job), part manufacturers, accessories, on-the-road repair (or even other cycling tips an average rider may not know could be useful), etc.. Also attributes and features of the various types of bikes, but focusing on road/racing bikes, mountain bikes, hybrid bikes, and winterized bikes, since those are the ones I'd like to work with.

As for difficulty level, I don't have much experience, but I do have some basic knowledge. Just to give you an idea, I own three bikes and I've gotten so far as being able to straighten my wheels on a truing stand.

So far I've liked the reviews of the ZINN series books ( one of them: http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1934030422/ )

Thanks for your replies.
Zinn's book is very good...

the Big Blue Book 2nd edition by Park Tool, 250 pages with text & color photographs for 25 usd,

Zinn's book and the Big Blue Book are great references. I personally prefer The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair from Rodale Press. It is priced right in line with Zinn's and the Big Blue Book at $19.95 US. It has a good mix of photos and drawings along with easy to understand step by step instuctions for most repairs. It discusses different types and designs of equipment and has a trouble shooting guide to help diagnose problems. It has a comprehensive glossary to define those terms that you have never seen before, and it has a listing of Websites and Phone Numbers of bicycle manufacturers and parts manufacturers. Oh, and the best part, you can pick it up at Borders Books or Barnes & Nobles, or order it online.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Zinn's book and the Big Blue Book are great references. I personally prefer The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair from Rodale Press. It is priced right in line with Zinn's and the Big Blue Book at $19.95 US. It has a good mix of photos and drawings along with easy to understand step by step instuctions for most repairs. It discusses different types and designs of equipment and has a trouble shooting guide to help diagnose problems. It has a comprehensive glossary to define those terms that you have never seen before, and it has a listing of Websites and Phone Numbers of bicycle manufacturers and parts manufacturers. Oh, and the best part, you can pick it up at Borders Books or Barnes & Nobles, or order it online.
I have that book also but I don't think it's detailed as Zinn's. It has more photos, yeah, but the explanations and instructions are a little too concise for me. I guess, ideally you have both plus the Park tools book; which I also have (bought at a used book store very cheap). Somehow, I always find myself going Zinn's book more often...

rparedes, which Zinn book do you have? I think I will probably get both the Zinn road bike and mountain bike books. Of everyone I asked, nobody had anything bad to say about them at all.

These books seem to focus on repair and maintenance, though. I'd like another book to also get me thinking about planning/design of building a bike, how to go about selecting parts, etc. Does anyone know a good book like this?

Originally Posted by likeafox .

rparedes, which Zinn book do you have? I think I will probably get both the Zinn road bike and mountain bike books. Of everyone I asked, nobody had anything bad to say about them at all.

These books seem to focus on repair and maintenance, though. I'd like another book to also get me thinking about planning/design of building a bike, how to go about selecting parts, etc. Does anyone know a good book like this?
I have "The Art of Road Bike Maintenance" it also has a chapter on bike sizing; frame design and wheel building...

That sounds like the perfect place for me to start then, thanks /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I have to give another vote for Leonard Zinn's Road bike book. That's what I used when I started fiddling with my bike. However, as with any of these sorts of books, you only ever read most of it a couple of times, memory kicks in after that. It can sometimes be cheaper to be shown how a few times by someone who has also been well taught.

I personally am after a book which details suspension maintenance. There's a bit more variety in how to rebuild/service various different systems, so the memory doesn't work as well here as for derailleur and brake setting. Does Zinn's MTB book cover any of this or is there another, better book around for it?