Boonen joins Quick.Step - Davitamon

A

admin

I think everyone knew this would happen ;) below is a report from cyclingnews.com<br /><br />
<br />Boonen joins Quick.Step - Davitamon<br />The transfer of Belgian Next Big Thing Tom Boonen from US Postal to Quick.Step - Davitamon was confirmed yesterday by Boonen's new team.<br /><br />An agreement was reached Saturday between Boonen's representatives, the SEM Agency, and US Postal team manager Mark Gorski, allowing Boonen to leave his two-year contract with US Postal.<br /><br />&quot;We are very happy to have him in Quick.Step,&quot; said the team's directeur sportif Patrick Lefevre. &quot;He has lots of potential but has already achieved a great deal.&quot;<br /><br />Boonen's arrival brings the new squad to its full roster of 25 riders.<br /><br /><br />

I really wonder if he's going to receive a status a 'protected' rider for the classics with Musseeuw, Bettini and Vandenbroucke next to him?<br /><br />Niek

[quote author=nferyn link=board=15;threadid=2709;start=0#23234 date=1038825628]<br />I really wonder if he's going to receive a status a 'protected' rider for the classics with Musseeuw, Bettini and Vandenbroucke next to him?<br /><br />Niek<br />[/quote]<br /><br />He wont next year, thats forsure ;D

[quote author=Steve link=board=15;threadid=2709;start=0#23235 date=1038826459]<br />[quote author=nferyn link=board=15;threadid=2709;start=0#23234 date=1038825628]<br />I really wonder if he's going to receive a status a 'protected' rider for the classics with Musseeuw, Bettini and Vandenbroucke next to him?<br /><br />Niek<br />[/quote]<br /><br />He wont next year, thats forsure ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, then Quick-Step - Davitamon is going to have the best clasics 'knecht' (helper - domestique) that money can buy ;D<br /><br />Niek

Wel Niek and Steve<br /><br />You might be wrong VDB first has to prove he's back from been away very long. And then the fact that there are different kind of races.<br /><br />Bettini is only an opponent for de ronde as Boonen is too huge(length and body massà for L-B-L and Fleche wallone and Bettini is to small for P-R.<br /><br />Same for VDB only a super Vdb may be a contender for P-R when he's 95% he has 0.0% chance to win.<br /><br />They are a different type of rider. <br /><br />real hills only VDB&amp; Bettini, Gent wevelgem no bettini, P-R no bettini and VDB ther will only be a problem in de Ronde and then one might be not in condition or injured(problem solved)<br /><br />Rabo showed that depending on 2 guys(Dekker and Boogerd) is a big risk.

[quote author=maarten link=board=15;threadid=2709;start=0#23263 date=1038854263]<br />Wel Niek and Steve<br /><br />You might be wrong VDB first has to prove he's back from been away very long. And then the fact that there are different kind of races.[/quote]<br /><br />You're certainly right there, VDB has got to prove that he's back on top first. Maybe wishfull thinking from my part ;D<br /><br />[quote author=maarten link=board=15;threadid=2709;start=0#23263 date=1038854263]<br />Bettini is only an opponent for de ronde as Boonen is too huge(length and body massà for L-B-L and Fleche wallone and Bettini is to small for P-R.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />It's certainly going to be crowded in the QS-DAV team in the Ronde: 4 possible contenders for the win. For the Walloon classics Boonen wasn't going to play a major part anyway. That leaves 2 real classics for Boonen. In the Ronde he will have a lot of competition from within his own team and for PR Musseeuw is certainly going to be the number one card in Lefevre's sleeves.<br /><br />[quote author=maarten link=board=15;threadid=2709;start=0#23263 date=1038854263]<br />Same for VDB only a super Vdb may be a contender for P-R when he's 95% he has 0.0% chance to win.<br /><br />They are a different type of rider. <br /><br />real hills only VDB&amp; Bettini, Gent wevelgem no bettini, P-R no bettini and VDB ther will only be a problem in de Ronde and then one might be not in condition or injured(problem solved)<br /><br />Rabo showed that depending on 2 guys(Dekker and Boogerd) is a big risk.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'm quite sure that VDB - when in proper condition - can play a major part in PR as well, and with his 'temperament' (don't know how to translate this to english - character comes closest I guess) he'll propably won't ride for Boonen.<br /><br />Greetz,<br /><br />Niek

I think there won't be any problem, before at mapei, they rode tagether, so only Boonen is new. Boonen won't make any problem of it to ride for musseeuw, VDB or Bettini, he rode for Hincapie as well past season.<br /><br />I also think Patrick Lefevre is a great Manager and he will be able to solve the problem, if there will be one.<br /><br /><br />Jelle