Boonen: Meathead

chiefhiawatha

Guest
Looks like Boonen caused the crash today. What was he doing
going into the group then flaring out again almost immediately?

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:11:52 GMT, chiefhiawatha wrote:
>Looks like Boonen caused the crash today. What was he doing
>going into the group then flaring out again almost immediately?

He was looking at his chain, and shifting. He veered out because he
wasn't paying attention, Kirsipuu gave way, which took out Arvesen.

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:11:52 GMT, chiefhiawatha wrote:
>> Looks like Boonen caused the crash today. What was he doing
>> going into the group then flaring out again almost immediately?

> He was looking at his chain, and shifting. He veered out because he
> wasn't paying attention, Kirsipuu gave way, which took out Arvesen.

In this morning's L'Equipe, Boonen says (my translation): "I'm ******. The
team fought for 40km to get me in the right position and 300m from the
line my chain slipped, just like the day before at Charleroi. I was lying
in wait on Hondo's wheel and when I saw McEwen dive to the inside I wanted
to follow. And it was there that everything went bad. I don't understand
it. I've never had this kind of problem before and our mechanics, who are
tops, spent all night trying to track it down. I have a new frame but I
tested it at Ster Elektrotoer and there I was taking the sprints. I'm
really, really, disappointed."

Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo, McEwen
still there at the end? I admit I'm still holding a grudge about him
leaving USPS but I just don't see the fuss yet. Hook a brotha up with an
objective opinion.

Steve Wingate wrote:
> Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
> Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
> beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo,
> McEwen still there at the end? I admit I'm still holding a grudge about
> him leaving USPS but I just don't see the fuss yet. Hook a brotha up
> with an objective opinion.

He has beaten all of them, except for Petacchi, against whom he didn't
sprint prior to this Tour, so yes he's fast enough to win a field sprint
in the Tour, but a lot of riders are fast enough

Niek

--

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:46:06 -0700, Steve Wingate
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
>Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
>beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo, McEwen
>still there at the end?

Have any of those guys beaten all the other guys at once at the end of
a race this year?

Boonen has taken McEwen a few times for sure. He's not crazy-fast
like Petacchi perhaps, but he's super fit fast and can get over the
hills well. I think he's the next Zabel, not the next Cipo.

JT

nferyn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Steve Wingate wrote:
> > Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
> > Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
> > beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo,
> > McEwen still there at the end? I admit I'm still holding a grudge about
> > him leaving USPS but I just don't see the fuss yet. Hook a brotha up
> > with an objective opinion.

> He has beaten all of them, except for Petacchi, against whom he didn't
> sprint prior to this Tour

They competed in the Vuelta 2003

Kenny

Steve Wingate <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
> Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
> beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo, McEwen
> still there at the end? I admit I'm still holding a grudge about him
> leaving USPS but I just don't see the fuss yet. Hook a brotha up with an
> objective opinion.

And he did even more than only winning bunch sprints.

Kenny

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:11:52 GMT, chiefhiawatha wrote:
> >> Looks like Boonen caused the crash today. What was he doing
> >> going into the group then flaring out again almost immediately?

> > He was looking at his chain, and shifting. He veered out because he
> > wasn't paying attention, Kirsipuu gave way, which took out Arvesen.

> In this morning's L'Equipe, Boonen says (my translation): "I'm ******. The
> team fought for 40km to get me in the right position and 300m from the
> line my chain slipped, just like the day before at Charleroi. I was lying
> in wait on Hondo's wheel and when I saw McEwen dive to the inside I wanted
> to follow. And it was there that everything went bad. I don't understand
> it. I've never had this kind of problem before and our mechanics, who are
> tops, spent all night trying to track it down. I have a new frame but I
> tested it at Ster Elektrotoer and there I was taking the sprints. I'm
> really, really, disappointed."

The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.

Kenny

"Kenny" <[email protected]> schreef >
> The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
> they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
> accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.

The cranks were the factor, but maybe he should consider his shifting
technique while implementing those galactic powers you ascribe him, instead
of that bragging "I've got nothing to learn anymore".

Bart Van Hoorebeeck wrote:
> The cranks were the factor, but maybe he should consider his shifting
> technique while implementing those galactic powers you ascribe him, instead
> of that bragging "I've got nothing to learn anymore".

Or try out one of those Campag electronic shifting prototypes.

Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Kenny wrote:
> >> The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
> >> they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
> >> accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.

> Bart Van Hoorebeeck wrote:
> > The cranks were the factor, but maybe he should consider his shifting
> > technique while implementing those galactic powers you ascribe him, instead
> > of that bragging "I've got nothing to learn anymore".

> Or try out one of those Campag electronic shifting prototypes.

Do you mean the Mavic Mechtronics? I heard that shimano and campy were
testing, but haven't seen anything in the news about it.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (otto) wrote:

> Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > Bart Van Hoorebeeck wrote:
> > > The cranks were the factor, but maybe he should consider his shifting
> > > technique while implementing those galactic powers you ascribe him,
> > > instead
> > > of that bragging "I've got nothing to learn anymore".

> > Or try out one of those Campag electronic shifting prototypes.

> Do you mean the Mavic Mechtronics? I heard that shimano and campy were
> testing, but haven't seen anything in the news about it.

Here's some news on the Campy stuff from late last year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/features/campy_elec

--
tanx,
Howard

So far, so good, so what?

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

> The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
> they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
> accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.

Where did you read that?

Steve Wingate <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
> > they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
> > accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.
> >

> Where did you read that?

I read it in the paper "Het Nieuwsblad". I'm looking for a link to
the article but i can't find it. Maybe Bart can back me up on this.