Boonen: Meathead

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by chiefhiawatha, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Looks like Boonen caused the crash today. What was he doing
    going into the group then flaring out again almost immediately?

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:11:52 GMT, chiefhiawatha wrote:
    >Looks like Boonen caused the crash today. What was he doing
    >going into the group then flaring out again almost immediately?

    He was looking at his chain, and shifting. He veered out because he
    wasn't paying attention, Kirsipuu gave way, which took out Arvesen.

  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:11:52 GMT, chiefhiawatha wrote:
    >> Looks like Boonen caused the crash today. What was he doing
    >> going into the group then flaring out again almost immediately?

    > He was looking at his chain, and shifting. He veered out because he
    > wasn't paying attention, Kirsipuu gave way, which took out Arvesen.

    In this morning's L'Equipe, Boonen says (my translation): "I'm pissed. The
    team fought for 40km to get me in the right position and 300m from the
    line my chain slipped, just like the day before at Charleroi. I was lying
    in wait on Hondo's wheel and when I saw McEwen dive to the inside I wanted
    to follow. And it was there that everything went bad. I don't understand
    it. I've never had this kind of problem before and our mechanics, who are
    tops, spent all night trying to track it down. I have a new frame but I
    tested it at Ster Elektrotoer and there I was taking the sprints. I'm
    really, really, disappointed."

  4. Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
    Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
    beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo, McEwen
    still there at the end? I admit I'm still holding a grudge about him
    leaving USPS but I just don't see the fuss yet. Hook a brotha up with an
    objective opinion.

  5. nferyn

    nferyn Guest

    Steve Wingate wrote:
    > Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
    > Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
    > beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo,
    > McEwen still there at the end? I admit I'm still holding a grudge about
    > him leaving USPS but I just don't see the fuss yet. Hook a brotha up
    > with an objective opinion.

    He has beaten all of them, except for Petacchi, against whom he didn't
    sprint prior to this Tour, so yes he's fast enough to win a field sprint
    in the Tour, but a lot of riders are fast enough

    Niek

    --

  6. On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:46:06 -0700, Steve Wingate
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
    >Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
    >beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo, McEwen
    >still there at the end?

    Have any of those guys beaten all the other guys at once at the end of
    a race this year?

    Boonen has taken McEwen a few times for sure. He's not crazy-fast
    like Petacchi perhaps, but he's super fit fast and can get over the
    hills well. I think he's the next Zabel, not the next Cipo.

    JT

  7. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    nferyn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Steve Wingate wrote:
    > > Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
    > > Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
    > > beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo,
    > > McEwen still there at the end? I admit I'm still holding a grudge about
    > > him leaving USPS but I just don't see the fuss yet. Hook a brotha up
    > > with an objective opinion.

    > He has beaten all of them, except for Petacchi, against whom he didn't
    > sprint prior to this Tour

    They competed in the Vuelta 2003

    Kenny

  8. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Steve Wingate <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is Boonen really THAT fast? He talks like he's destined to be the next
    > Cipo. I know he's won 11-13 races so far this year but who has he really
    > beaten? Has he ever won a field sprint with Petacchi, Zabel, Cipo, McEwen
    > still there at the end? I admit I'm still holding a grudge about him
    > leaving USPS but I just don't see the fuss yet. Hook a brotha up with an
    > objective opinion.

    And he did even more than only winning bunch sprints.

    Kenny

  9. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:11:52 GMT, chiefhiawatha wrote:
    > >> Looks like Boonen caused the crash today. What was he doing
    > >> going into the group then flaring out again almost immediately?

    > > He was looking at his chain, and shifting. He veered out because he
    > > wasn't paying attention, Kirsipuu gave way, which took out Arvesen.

    > In this morning's L'Equipe, Boonen says (my translation): "I'm pissed. The
    > team fought for 40km to get me in the right position and 300m from the
    > line my chain slipped, just like the day before at Charleroi. I was lying
    > in wait on Hondo's wheel and when I saw McEwen dive to the inside I wanted
    > to follow. And it was there that everything went bad. I don't understand
    > it. I've never had this kind of problem before and our mechanics, who are
    > tops, spent all night trying to track it down. I have a new frame but I
    > tested it at Ster Elektrotoer and there I was taking the sprints. I'm
    > really, really, disappointed."

    The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
    they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
    accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.

    Kenny

  10. "Kenny" <[email protected]> schreef >
    > The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
    > they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
    > accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.

    The cranks were the factor, but maybe he should consider his shifting
    technique while implementing those galactic powers you ascribe him, instead
    of that bragging "I've got nothing to learn anymore".

  11. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Bart Van Hoorebeeck wrote:
    > The cranks were the factor, but maybe he should consider his shifting
    > technique while implementing those galactic powers you ascribe him, instead
    > of that bragging "I've got nothing to learn anymore".

    Or try out one of those Campag electronic shifting prototypes.

  12. otto

    otto Guest

    Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Kenny wrote:
    > >> The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
    > >> they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
    > >> accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.

    > Bart Van Hoorebeeck wrote:
    > > The cranks were the factor, but maybe he should consider his shifting
    > > technique while implementing those galactic powers you ascribe him, instead
    > > of that bragging "I've got nothing to learn anymore".

    > Or try out one of those Campag electronic shifting prototypes.

    Do you mean the Mavic Mechtronics? I heard that shimano and campy were
    testing, but haven't seen anything in the news about it.

  13. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (otto) wrote:

    > Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Bart Van Hoorebeeck wrote:
    > > > The cranks were the factor, but maybe he should consider his shifting
    > > > technique while implementing those galactic powers you ascribe him,
    > > > instead
    > > > of that bragging "I've got nothing to learn anymore".

    > > Or try out one of those Campag electronic shifting prototypes.

    > Do you mean the Mavic Mechtronics? I heard that shimano and campy were
    > testing, but haven't seen anything in the news about it.

    Here's some news on the Campy stuff from late last year.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/features/campy_elec

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    So far, so good, so what?

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  14. > The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
    > they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
    > accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.

    Where did you read that?

  15. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Steve Wingate <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > The reason of his faillure are his carbon magnivelles. Looks like
    > > they are not able to resist to the power he puts on them when he
    > > accelerates. Read today he pushes around 2000 watt during the sprint.
    > >

    > Where did you read that?

    I read it in the paper "Het Nieuwsblad". I'm looking for a link to
    the article but i can't find it. Maybe Bart can back me up on this.