Boonen on Milan - San Remo

Morgan Fletcher

Guest
http://live.cyclingnews.com/

"My teammates have worked through 10 possible scenarios. I'm not
occupied by that. In principle, Milan-Sanremo is a fat, shitty race.
Three hundred kilometres riding to do a sprint with fifty, sixty guys.
It's a nice sight though.

"I won't be fighting to sit in Petacchi's nor Freire's slipstream. I
will do my own sprint, intuitive. If I can ride that perfectly, there
might as well be ten Freires and Petas around."

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 15:52 +0000, Morgan Fletcher wrote:
> http://live.cyclingnews.com/
>
> "My teammates have worked through 10 possible scenarios. I'm not
> occupied by that. In principle, Milan-Sanremo is a fat, shitty race.

"Notes:

a) Tom Boonen really said MSR was a "fat, shitty race" (dikke
strontkoers). By "fat", he meant "big", "wicked", or even "fully sick",
i.e. slang for "good"."

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:52:02 GMT, Morgan Fletcher wrote:
> "In principle, Milan-Sanremo is a fat, shitty race.
> Three hundred kilometres riding to do a sprint with fifty, sixty guys.
> It's a nice sight though."

The 'though' at the end suggests the fat **** comment was negative. "Die
race is vette ****" = good, "Die vette **** race" = bad. What'd he say,
Jeff? Maybe he even said "vette strontrace", that's definitely very bad.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

> The 'though' at the end suggests the fat **** comment was negative.

"Die
> race is vette ****" = good, "Die vette **** race" = bad. What'd he

say,
> Jeff? Maybe he even said "vette strontrace", that's definitely very

bad.

dikke strontkoers

Jeff

Morgan Fletcher wrote:

> a) Tom Boonen really said MSR was a "fat, shitty race" (dikke
> strontkoers). By "fat", he meant "big", "wicked", or even "fully sick",
> i.e. slang for "good"."

He probably meant "phat" i.e. good

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:33:39 +1200, Stewart Fleming wrote:
> He probably meant "phat" i.e. good

Oh no he didn't. He said "dikke stront". The adjective 'dik' may be
translated in a number of ways: thick, big, bulky, dense, etc., but also
fat, which has exactly the same double meaning as its more directly
related Dutch counterpart 'vet'. 'Dik' on the other hand has no such
double meaning. 'Stront' means **** and that can be good too: "da ****".
That is used in the same way in Dutch (some good **** => 'goeie ****'),
but only in the form of the actual English word ****. The Dutch word
stront refers to, well, **** or is used as a rather strong negative
qualification.

Didn't we talk about this earlier, concerning Paris-Roubaix and it's
'strontweggetjes' (little **** roads, or little mud roads)?

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

Apparently his point is that it looks like a dull race from the outside,
going in group up and down the hills and then the bunch sprint. But it
is a hard race because of the permanent positioning from where they hit
the coast. And the sprint after the Poggio is bound to be chaotic. That
is what he finds shitty, apparently.

Boonen makes no sense "I took off, and then 4 guys closed me in."
Errr..???
.. The difference between Peta's kick and Boonen's was just enormous.
How could he have been ready, riding those short and intense stages in
P-N, and with no opposition for the sprints there, with a completely
different pre-sprint racing . The only time its was chaotic, he got
locked in there too. It is clear that without a leadout man like Zanini,
he is nowhere.
And ***********, with Bettini's manoeuvre IT WAS THEIR TACTIC to make it
even more chaotic on the Via Roma.

I found "A. Merckx on Milan - San Remo" more interesting, as the
helicopter images make it hard to follow how things went after the
Poggio summit.
"Celestino did the descent slower than expected. Then Rebellin sat back
in function of Hondo. Only Kirchen wanted to carry on."

I understand that Rebellin fears a small group finish with Valverde,
but still he shouldn't have worse chances than Hondo vs. Peta an Freire.

That Kirchen would want to carry the attack is really odd.

Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:

> Don't you wonder how George Hincapie would have done at Paris-Nice?

Nope.

then "fat, shitty race" doesn't quite say it. But I admit the task isn't
easy :)

the comma gives a twist that isn't there in the original. Because dikke
refers to the strontkoers, not to koers on its own.
Also fat gives a nuance which wasn't there. Beter something like 'total'
or 'mega'.

Is it very bad? Agreed it is negative, but in Flanders the stront part is
often added for something one simply dislikes. Our mobility Minister
called 4X4's "shitty cars" because they annoy him in city traffic. Not as
negative as the word sounds.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:48:32 +0100, Van Hoorebeeck Bart wrote:
> called 4X4's "shitty cars" because they annoy him in city traffic. Not as
> negative as the word sounds.

Maybe it's better when rooted in farming (strontkar, strontweg), or
maybe it just sounds less hostile to Flemings (what say you, Stewart).

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

another try:

"Lousy shitrace?"

Kenny
(what about introducing more Flemish/Dutch cycling words into English
vocabulary?)

Don't give a ****.

Van Hoorebeeck Bart <[email protected]> wrote:

> Apparently his point is that it looks like a dull race from the outside,
> going in group up and down the hills and then the bunch sprint. But it
> is a hard race because of the permanent positioning from where they hit
> the coast. And the sprint after the Poggio is bound to be chaotic. That
> is what he finds shitty, apparently.
>
> Boonen makes no sense "I took off, and then 4 guys closed me in."
> Errr..???
> . The difference between Peta's kick and Boonen's was just enormous.

That was what was amazing, watching Petacchi stall out when Bettini
pulled off to force him out, slow down, look back at the bunch, and then
kick. And still leave everyone behind like they were nothing.

Before this, I thought Peta was too soft, only able to win with his
perfect train, but this was different. He was far stronger than anyone
else at the moment it mattered, and was able to win with only one
teammate left for the last 2k.

Thanks again Mr. Raket, for the same day coverage on a.b.m.s. All files
came through for me fine, didn't even need the PARs this time.