Boonen takes legal action over 'Doper' claim

meandmybike

Feb 7, 2005
Seems our Tom isn't happy that people might think he's on the juice. Might want to think about the company he keeps then.

From Eurosport:

Boonen files suit against Senator

Boonen may have been distracted by a defamation suit that he is filing against Belgian Senator Jean-Marie Dedecker, who has accused three Belgian riders of taking illegal drugs in February.

The Senator refused on Tuesday to reveal their identity, but said his proof was irrefutable.

When asked by Belgian press if the world champion was one of the accused, Dedecker laughed, but did not respond.

"When someone says that a top cyclist from our country is doping, everyone makes the association with Tom Boonen," the rainbow jersey's Quick Step sporting director Patrick Lefévère told Belgian paper La Derniere Heure.

"We have filed a complaint against Dedecker for defamation. This is an attack against Tom Boonen and cycling in general."

Dedecker expressed surprise at the world champion's response.

"I find it extremely bizarre that Boonen reacted like this," he said. "I absolutely did not cite him."

Bro Deal said:
The Armstrong of Belgium. Somehow other people being accused of doping enrages him. I wonder why.
When the accusations were made everyone thought of Boonen first. There is nothing wrong with fighting back. It's time that the journalists and muckrakers are made accountable for their statements. He should have never went forward with his accusations until he was ready to go public with the names of the accused. He knew Boonen would be the target of speculation. If Boonen was not the target , then the accusor should have said so.......

wolfix said:
When the accusations were made everyone thought of Boonen first. There is nothing wrong with fighting back. It's time that the journalists and muckrakers are made accountable for their statements. He should have never went forward with his accusations until he was ready to go public with the names of the accused. He knew Boonen would be the target of speculation. If Boonen was not the target , then the accusor should have said so.......
Boonen is one of those riders who has been consistently strong since he was young. If you saw him riding in Paris Roubaix in 2002, he was in a break-away, and still had the power to lead Hincapie for ages (before Hincapie went into a ditch) and yet Tom still managed to podium.

I think that someone who has shown a consistently high level of performance since they first climbed on a bike, seems less likely to be a doper than someone who has had a transformation miracle -- from the back of the pack to the podium.

strummer_fan said:
Boonen is one of those riders who has been consistently strong since he was young. If you saw him riding in Paris Roubaix in 2002, he was in a break-away, and still had the power to lead Hincapie for ages (before Hincapie went into a ditch) and yet Tom still managed to podium.

I think that someone who has shown a consistently high level of performance since they first climbed on a bike, seems less likely to be a doper than someone who has had a transformation miracle -- from the back of the pack to the podium.
Couldnt agree more.
Just like Lance hanging with pro thriathletes when he was 16-17 in hard races, and winning the World Champs when 21.

Now all you Boonen supporters are twisting in the wind when your pretty boy gets treated like Lance and reacts the same way, adamant denial and lawsuits. He did learn something after all from Lance while on Postal.

Has anyone on these threads accused or thought Boonen doped?
I cant recall any questions, apart from my own.

Now that he is implied, we'll see who stands behind him.
What about it Lim, he was YOUR wet dream of a cyclist for the past year.
Oh I forgot, its that time of month and you havent been posting much of late.

wolfix said:
Agreed, i start to puke more and more... allegation after allegation and who cares if it's prooven or not. Dedecker is a politician and knew very well what he was doing.

bobke said:
Couldnt agree more.
Just like Lance hanging with pro thriathletes when he was 16-17 in hard races, and winning the World Champs when 21.
And that is why he got to Europe and showed everyone he was the class of the field and would eventually win a GT. Oops, he was a minor pro and no different than fifty other pros until he signed up with Dr. Ferrari. Well, there is one theory shot down.

The fact is that pros are genetic mutants. Most showed that very early. When compared to the general public, it means something. When compared to other pros, it does not mean much.

Boonen was holding his own against a doped up Museuuw. What he was doing to keep up?