Boonen wins from break

Donald Munro

Guest
Boonen won stage 4 from an around 20 man breakaway, with Brown 2nd.
Petacchi didn't make the breakaway and was 2 or 3 minutes down at the end.

On Jan 31, 5:13 am, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
> Boonen won stage 4 from an around 20 man breakaway, with Brown 2nd.
> Petacchi didn't make the breakaway and was 2 or 3 minutes down at the end.

That was a highly interesting stage (not from the scenery - just flat
and sand). Very fast and the field ended up 48min behind.
Boonen had enough team mates in the end to respond to all the
attacking in the last 5km.

bjorn

bjorn wrote:
> That was a highly interesting stage (not from the scenery - just flat
> and sand). Very fast and the field ended up 48min behind.

I think there was the leading break with Boonen, a 2nd 'break' a couple of
minutes down with Petacchi, and then the rest of the field. I only saw the
last hour or so so I didn't see how the breaks developed.

> Boonen had enough team mates in the end to respond to all the attacking
> in the last 5km.

Telekom tried hard enough without much success. At least they didn't chase
each other down.

In article <[email protected]>,
Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:

> Donald Munro wrote:
> >> Boonen won stage 4 from an around 20 man breakaway, with Brown 2nd.
> >> Petacchi didn't make the breakaway and was 2 or 3 minutes down at the end.

> bjorn wrote:
> > That was a highly interesting stage (not from the scenery - just flat
> > and sand). Very fast and the field ended up 48min behind.

> I think there was the leading break with Boonen, a 2nd 'break' a couple of
> minutes down with Petacchi, and then the rest of the field. I only saw the
> last hour or so so I didn't see how the breaks developed.

Surely it was via some sort of crosswind forcing the pack into echelon?
If it was by any other means, then several teams must have seriously
dropped the ball to let a a 20-man break with Boonen in it get away.

I mean, even if you were represented!

> > Boonen had enough team mates in the end to respond to all the attacking
> > in the last 5km.

> Telekom tried hard enough without much success. At least they didn't chase
> each other down.

Hm. If Telekom and Boonen were both in the break, then the other teams
really screwed up.