Boonen wins Paris-Roubaix

tcklyde said:
Yeah, it's embarrassing to the other Americans :D

Have you read any of Boonen's quotes in the press?
He has got more ego than Cipo and Lance combined:

"I knew I would have no problems against Hincapie and Flecha"

" I knew I had to get rid of the fast riders Backstedt and Michaelsoen."

"Hincapie and Flechas have never won big races, so I knew I would be calmer and win."

What rider or a##hole has ever been such a ***** to fellow professionals?
I can only hope he crashes and gets injured. The guy is a total jerk.

hombredesubaru said:

"Hincapie and Flechas have never won big races, so I knew I would be calmer and win."

I wasn't talking about Boonen. I was reacting to an earlier post that suggested Discovery would seek somesort of payback for a past contractual dispute.

As for Boonen, no one said he might be a touch arrogant. After this few weeks, I'd probably be a bit full of myself as well. Especially at the age of 24.

hombredesubaru said:

you should look up the definition of arrogant

Boonen has won 2 big races and the hatred against him is already started

you are not better then all the anti-lance morons

hombredesubaru said:

These are surely no words of Tom Boonen.
I hear the sound of big, big frustration. Stay away from this forum, only reserved for people who love cycling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hombredesubaru said:

1. Did he have any problems with Hincapie and Flecha? No! So, he was right.
2. Did he get rid of Backstedt and Michaelsen? Yes. So, he was right.
3. Have Hincapie and Flecha won any of the classics? No, so he was right.

It strikes that Boonen is not only a very talented rider, but also a very clever one.

BelgianDude is right! Why all the hatred? Let's enjoy the fact that a 24-year old can reach a level like this and stay humble. Yes, humble! If you would have the chance to see/read some more interviews with him you would realise this.

I don't get it. Cipo was the definition of arrogant and showy, yet American cycling fans just love the guy.

tcklyde said:
Umm, so was it a betrayal for Landis to leave? What about Kevin Livingston and Tyler? People switch teams all the time. It's no big deal and hardly a betrayal. Boonen wanted to learn from his idol and with a local team. Fine with me.

I can guarantee the Discovery will pay absolutely no attention to Boonen or anyone else going for the green jersey at the Tour. The idea that they would is nothing short of ridiculous.

I agree. Boonen showed his talents early and, I assume, got a lot of good offers from other teams after showing he was stronger than Hincapie in PR. Postal could've matched the money, but why. If they had kept him on, it would be disloyal to Hincapie, and possibly relegate Hincapie to riding support for Boonen.

Laggard said:
I don't get it. Cipo was the definition of arrogant and showy, yet American cycling fans just love the guy.
As I said in a previous post I think it has to do with the fact that he placed in one race and was suddenly demanding to go to another team, sort of like a rookie rushing for 100 yards in a game (American football) and then demanding a trade. He is a great rider, but rubbed a lot of people the wrong way when he did that.

House said:
As I said in a previous post I think it has to do with the fact that he placed in one race and was suddenly demanding to go to another team, sort of like a rookie rushing for 100 yards in a game (American football) and then demanding a trade. He is a great rider, but rubbed a lot of people the wrong way when he did that.

Yeah, he placed in one race. Thing is, that race was Paris-Roubaix. He was also 7th in Gent and 24th in Flanders. He was on a team that wasn't dedicated to classics. Quick Step was a perfect fit for him. I just can't understand why anyone will hold it against him for making the right decision. Clearly, Quick Step was a substantially better team for him to ride on. So he broke a contract. Big deal. Happens all the time in every sport.

In the end, Boonen was right and Postal was wrong about his talent. I think that is what is rubbing people the wrong way.

tcklyde said:
Yeah, he placed in one race. Thing is, that race was Paris-Roubaix. He was also 7th in Gent and 24th in Flanders. He was on a team that wasn't dedicated to classics. Quick Step was a perfect fit for him. I just can't understand why anyone will hold it against him for making the right decision. Clearly, Quick Step was a substantially better team for him to ride on. So he broke a contract. Big deal. Happens all the time in every sport.

In the end, Boonen was right and Postal was wrong about his talent. I think that is what is rubbing people the wrong way.
Perhaps I missed a quote from Johan, but how was Postal wrong?
He had one truly top notch result and came off like a primadonna wanting to change teams, that's why he rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

I'm pretty tired of riders being disliked because they happened to leave the almighty Postal/Discovery squad. If Boonen had jumped ship from Rabobank no one would care. But because it's the team of God and Saint George, people act so incredulous and hurt that someone would dare move onto better pastures. It's in fact seen as an act of betrayal.

He left mid-season. So what? It apparently didn't hurt the team one bit.

House said:
He had one truly top notch result and came off like a primadonna wanting to change teams, that's why he rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

He knew his potential. Hell, everyone knew his potential. That he was one day going to be a great rider was of no surprise to anyone. He had no choice but to leave a team that is dedicated to only the TDF.

And loyalty? A rider of his talent is loyal to no one but himself.

House said:

Other than you, who?

Riders have buyout clauses in their contracts for a reason. This is a business. Boonen made a smart career move, everyone who follows cycling understands that, and I think you're just talking out your ass.

I don't compare Boonen to Landis or Livingston, I compare him to Heras. Roberto wanted something more than Postal was willing to give him, he had another team that was willing to give it to him, so they squared up financially and he split - who wants a rider on your team who really wants to be somewhere else? No whining involved, both sides got what they bargained for.

Boonen's likely going to get a big head over all this, but I can't wait to watch him in action again. I wish he'd target L-B-L, three monuments in the same year would be ... monumental.

What had Boonen done before demanding to leave? A 2nd at P-R and a couple of nice showings. What had Heras done? He had already won the Vuelta...twice. Thanks for making my point.

Laggerd- do you agree with that idea of layalty in everything? Pretty messed up thinking. Oh and I, personally, would feel the same way no matter what team he left.

House said:
What had Boonen done before demanding to leave? A 2nd at P-R and a couple of nice showings. What had Heras done? He had already won the Vuelta...twice. Thanks for making my point.

Laggerd- do you agree with that idea of layalty in everything? Pretty messed up thinking. Oh and I, personally, would feel the same way no matter what team he left.
dude, even Johan declared that he holds no grudge against Boonen and he wishes him the best, the same for Hincapi. The only one acting like Boonen is some sort of traitor is you.

I think you are just hurt in your (fake) patriotic feelings that an American rider from an USA team became 2nd.

btw if you would have followed the career of Boonen before that P-R, you would have known that he was a very promising talent with some nice results in some smaller races

BelgianDude said:
dude, even Johan declared that he holds no grudge against Boonen and he wishes him the best, the same for Hincapi. The only one acting like Boonen is some sort of traitor is you.
When did I say anyone didn't wish him the best? As a matter of fact I said that I love watching him ride, I just don't agree with how he left USPS.

I think you are just hurt in your (fake) patriotic feelings that an American rider from an USA team became 2nd.
Who the **** do you think you are trying to tell me how patriotic I am? You blow any argument you have with this piece of ********. Was I bummed George didn't win? Yes. Was I mad, Boonen won? No. It's too bad you are to busy thinking up **** like this instead of reading actual posts.

btw if you would have followed the career of Boonen before that P-R, you would have known that he was a very promising talent with some nice results in some smaller races
Get back to me when you learn how to read. This post is without a doubt the most idiotic response I have ever seen on a message board.

House said:

Your point was that his leaving "rubbed a lot of people the wrong way". So far I count only one disgruntled dommekloot.

I think what rubs people the wrong way about Boonen is not his talent, it's his ridiculous comments like "I knew I had no worries with Flecha and Hincapie. They have never won big races like I have."

It is one thing to think that to focus as you approach the line. It is also true. But to say that to the press when they ask you about the way the race unfolded...geez what a *****.

Not even Lance stuck it in people's faces when he every single year for six years in a row handed everyone their asses in a bag in the mountains and ITTs in the Tour. He demolished everyone but in interviews would say stuff about how talented Ullrich is, how Pantani will be a factor in the Alps etcetc

Boonen is intolerable. Hincapie is a nice guy. I think this will provide plenty of fuel for George to drop Boonen next year and come back stronger.

P.S. He will never win Liege, even Eddy Mercxk said as much...because the climbs are longer and Boonen weighs too much. Look at people who have won Liege, they tend recently to be smaller and climbers: Hamilton, Rebellin etc