Boot advice

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Flicb, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Flicb

    Flicb Guest

    Hi, Does anyone know of any good places to find advice about walking boots? I have small feet
    (ladies 3), so am usually stuck with kids boots, however due to the large amount of crawling around
    I tend to do, I find the the toes of suede ones tend to wear through. Is leather more hardwearing
    than suede? Regards, F

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    FlicB wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any good places to find advice about walking boots? I have small feet (ladies
    > 3), so am usually stuck with kids boots, however due to the large amount of crawling around I
    > tend to do, I find the the toes of suede ones tend to wear through. Is leather more hardwearing
    > than suede?

    It is, but why all the crawling? People that crawl about by recreational habit (cavers) usually use
    wellies with steel toecaps (available from your local builders' merchants, usually).

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Flicb

    Flicb Guest

    >It is, but why all the crawling? People that crawl about by recreational habit (cavers) usually use
    >wellies with steel toecaps (available from your local builders' merchants, usually).

    Because I can only walk holding someone elses hands, and am a wheelchair user who can't self propel.
    However, I do a lot of camping, and am backpacking in Africa this Summer, so I need decent boots,
    both for walking, and moving around independently.

  4. Aushiker

    Aushiker Guest

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 19 Feb 2004 16:35:54 GMT, [email protected] (FlicB) wrote:

    >Does anyone know of any good places to find advice about walking boots? I have small feet
    >(ladies 3),

    You could try Alt-Berg for both the advice and the boots:

    http://altberg.co.uk/

    They are manufacturers, based in Richmond in NYorks, and size down to a 3 on some of thier models.

    Perhaps more importantly their advice is second-to-none, especially if you can get to their factory
    shop. They can also customise some aspects of the design, etc., for individual users. (Downside is
    its a 2-3 month waiting list for bespoke orders)

    HTH

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum; http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  6. Flicb

    Flicb Guest

    >Subject: Re: Boot advice
    >From: Steve Orrell
    >Date: 20/02/2004 11:20 GMT Standard Time

    >You could try Alt-Berg for both the advice and the boots:
    >
    >http://altberg.co.uk/

    Thanks for the advice :eek:) F

  7. Barry

    Barry Guest

    "FlicB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: Boot advice From: Steve Orrell Date: 20/02/2004 11:20 GMT Standard Time Message-id:
    > ><[email protected]>
    >
    > >You could try Alt-Berg for both the advice and the boots:
    > >
    > >http://altberg.co.uk/
    >
    > Thanks for the advice :eek:)

    Yes you could try Alt -Berg..................with "try" being the operative word For some strange
    reason.probably as a result of using a designer who thinks the look is more important than the
    function they have decided to use a typeface on their website that is almost impossible to read....

    great products perhaps ...but lifes tooooooooooooooo short !

    Barry

  8. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "barry" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > > >You could try Alt-Berg for both the advice and the boots:
    > > >
    > > >http://altberg.co.uk/
    > >
    > > Thanks for the advice :eek:)

    > Yes you could try Alt -Berg..................with "try" being the operative word For some strange
    > reason.probably as a result of using a designer who thinks the look is more important than the
    > function they have decided to use a typeface on their website that is almost impossible to
    > read....

    > great products perhaps ...but lifes tooooooooooooooo short !

    Try phoning if you can't visit (or write). Last year they seemed too busy even to read
    their e-mails.

    Shop - 01748 826922, factory 01748 850615.

    --

    Roger