Boothby Graffoe

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "hilarious"?

    Mark

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > In his show on R4 this evening, Boothby Graffoe launched straight into an hilarious routine

    That would be a first :-/

    --
    Guy
    ===

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Danny Colyer wrote:
    > > In his show on R4 this evening, Boothby Graffoe launched straight into an hilarious routine
    >
    > That would be a first :-/

    It fails the test. Replace 'cyclist' with 'black' or 'jew' (or any other racial stereotype of your
    choice) and see if it is still legal.

    No -- not funny then.

  5. Hmm ... Didn't like the axe bit - the front & back brakes bit was funny IMHO - but I *loathed* the
    joke about the bell being on the front of a black cab, being used as a distraction & having to hit
    the cyclist just right. That one I *didn't* like in the light of how leniently killing a cyclist
    with a vehicle really is treated by the law :( I found some of his humour funny, but some not.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. I'd hardly call it hilarious! Mildly amusing, but I find BG just too smug and arrogant to be
    funny. Andy

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > That one I *didn't* like in the light of how leniently killing a cyclist with a vehicle really is
    > treated by the law :(

    I don't care too much about crap jokes along those lines - the problem for me is simply that his
    sense of humour is nowhere near mine.

    Today I are been mostly listening to Jeremy Hardy :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  8. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Danny Colyer wrote:
    > > In his show on R4 this evening, Boothby Graffoe launched straight into an hilarious routine
    >
    > That would be a first :-/

    Surely as far as humour and R4 go, the first port of call has to be the legendary "antidote to panel
    games" [1] - accept no substitute!

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    [1] Closely followed by Dead Ringers, mind.

  9. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On 31 Jan 2003 16:03:08 GMT, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Surely as far as humour and R4 go, the first port of call has to be the legendary "antidote to
    >>panel games" [1] - accept no substitute!
    >
    > Fav Radio 4 shows -

    Not currently on air (I think) but: Old Harry's Game. Radioactive

    Then The News Quiz.

    > ISIHAC Just a Minute
    Not that impressed with JAM.

    > Dead Ringers
    Good, but I don't have a TV and fail to recognise many of the impersonations

    > In that order :)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:52:54 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> In his show on R4 this evening, Boothby Graffoe launched straight into an hilarious routine
    >
    >That would be a first :-/

    I listened to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/justaminute.shtml a couple of days ago - far
    better. Funnier 'cos it was actually funny.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    The Big Baguette wrote:

    > Dead Ringers is best on radio, when you can visualise the people for yourself. The all-time tops
    > were Doctor Who's telephone calls

    Especially the one to Sylvester McCoy :-D

    --
    Guy
    ===

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    James Hodson wrote:

    > I listened to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/justaminute.shtml a couple of days ago - far
    > better. Funnier 'cos it was actually funny.

    I rarely miss it. Top of the heap is definitely ISIHAC, though - all the others pale into
    insignificance by comparison with a good edition of that.

    I wish they'd bring back If I Ruled The World on telly - I really enjoyed that.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  13. In news:[email protected],

    Tony W <[email protected]> typed:

    >> That would be a first :-/
    >
    > It fails the test. Replace 'cyclist' with 'black' or 'jew' (or any other racial stereotype of your
    > choice) and see if it is still legal.
    >
    > No -- not funny then.

    But if it were IT personnel? ;)

    Seriously though, I must say I have not heard the programme, but it maybe worth a complaint to the
    BBC if it is *really* that bad. *and* to the MD of the independent producers of the show (if
    applicable). Whilst (due to the tradition of providing free speech_ a small number of complaints
    *isn't* enough to haul a show off air in the UK, the broadcasters complaint handling procedures
    oblige the producer or staff acting on their behalf to respond. This creates an extra administrative
    work burden to the broadcaster and producer, and increases the cost of providing the programme. In
    an increasingly cost-concious media world, this may well mean that the producer is less likely to
    produce material that creates an influx of these complaints, for fear of not receiving future work.

    This tactic has been successfully used by campaigning groups to dissuade both broadcasters and
    private sector companies from sponsoring or commissioning material the groups find offensive.

    IIRC the BBC already feel there are enough cyclists to be able to stuff the e-ballot for the
    inventions poll. If a few of us said we were going to press for licence fee abolition if
    anti-cyclist propaganda continued to be transmitted by the BBC, maybe they *would* listen ;)

    Alex

  14. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:15:45 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I listened to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/justaminute.shtml a couple of days ago - far
    >> better. Funnier 'cos it was actually funny.
    >
    >I rarely miss it. Top of the heap is definitely ISIHAC, though - all the others pale into
    >insignificance by comparison with a good edition of that.

    But it's off air at the mo., as I think you pointed out to me recently.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  15. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:25:23 -0000, "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new build]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In news:[email protected],
    >
    >Seriously though, I must say I have not heard the programme, but it maybe worth a complaint to the
    >BBC if it is *really* that bad. *and* to the MD of the independent producers of the show (if
    >applicable).

    Hi Alex

    I don't think it's offensive at all. But neither is it funny at all.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Surely as far as humour and R4 go, the first port of call has to be the legendary "antidote to
    >> panel games" [1] - accept no substitute!
    >
    > Fav Radio 4 shows -
    >
    > ISIHAC Just a Minute Dead Ringers
    >
    > In that order :)

    I'd put DR above JaM but would add The New Quiz above that - especially the ones with Linda Smith
    and Jeremy Hardy

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  17. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    > >Surely as far as humour and R4 go, the first port of call has to be the legendary "antidote to
    > >panel games" [1] - accept no substitute!
    >
    > Fav Radio 4 shows -
    >
    > ISIHAC Just a Minute Dead Ringers

    Dissenting voice here. DR was funny for the first few series - now I find that it's become too
    formulaic. Even the prank phone calls aren't as funny any more. Personally, I still mourn the
    passing of Week Ending.

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  18. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> Surely as far as humour and R4 go, the first port of call has to be the legendary "antidote to
    > >> panel games" [1] - accept no substitute!
    > >
    > > Fav Radio 4 shows -
    > >
    > > ISIHAC Just a Minute Dead Ringers
    > >
    > > In that order :)
    > >

    > I'd put DR above JaM but would add The New Quiz above that - especially
    the
    > ones with Linda Smith and Jeremy Hardy
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    > Bernard Shaw.

    I avoid anything with Linda Smith like the plague. I just don't find her funny. Am I missing
    something?

    Michael MacClancy

  19. The Big Baguette wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tim Woodall
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>>
    >>> Fav Radio 4 shows -
    >>>
    >> Not currently on air (I think) but: Old Harry's Game. Radioactive
    >>
    >> Then The News Quiz.
    >>
    >>> ISIHAC Just a Minute
    >> Not that impressed with JAM.
    >>
    >>> Dead Ringers
    >> Good, but I don't have a TV and fail to recognise many of the impersonations
    >>
    > Dead Ringers is best on radio, when you can visualise the people for yourself. The all-time tops
    > were Doctor Who's telephone calls

    Yes, but if you don't have a TV, you (theoretically) don't know who Doctor Who is.

    I remember a friend of mine coming across a newspaper board saying "Doctor Who Played God", and
    being most bemused, before realising that it meant "[Read all about the] doctor who played God".

  20. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Oh, I think she's wonderful. But I don't think the News Quiz has been the same since thingy
    > retired -- what was his name? Used to scriptwrite with the guy with the eyes. God, this Alzheimers
    > is terrible. Took. Barry Took. That was it. And Marty Feldman.

    Marty Feldman didn't retire, he was retired by the big Boss ;-)