Boothby Graffoe

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote snip
    > Personally, I still mourn the passing of Week Ending.
    >
    > --
    > Akin
    >
    > aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

    Hear, hear. Absolutely the best. If DR had more current affairs and less R4 I'm sure it wouldn't
    be so stale.

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yes, that was good. But there has been some wonderful radio comedy over the years.

    Got the Best of BBC Comedy for Christmas - Navy Lark, Sorry I'll Read that Again (again), Men from
    the Ministry.........fabulous.

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just listened to the last Dead Ringers in the present series -- bikes get a look-in in the London
    > Olympics sketches.

    Not as good as the Ozzie Osbourn as the new vicar of Ambridge

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Hmm ... Didn't like the axe bit - the front & back brakes bit was funny IMHO - but I *loathed* the
    > joke about the bell being on the front of a black cab, being used as a distraction & having to hit
    > the cyclist just right. That one I *didn't* like in the light of how leniently killing a cyclist
    > with a vehicle really is treated by the law :( I found some of his humour funny, but some not.

    I actually missed the axe bit on the first listening (I was in the shower at the time). The bit
    about brakes cracked me up, I loved the observations on the effectiveness of bells in city traffic,
    and I enjoyed the joke about the bell on the front of the black cab. I interpreted that as being a
    dig at taxi drivers and an observation intended to highlight the vulnerability of cyclists. It seems
    that you and Tony W may have interpreted it differently.

    Thomas Paine

  5. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:02:59 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
    >>The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Oh, I think she's wonderful. But I don't think the News Quiz has been the same since thingy
    >>> retired -- what was his name? Used to scriptwrite with the guy with the eyes. God, this
    >>> Alzheimers is terrible. Took. Barry Took. That was it. And Marty Feldman.
    >>
    >>Marty Feldman didn't retire, he was retired by the big Boss ;-)
    >>
    >Yes, I know that. And Barry Took is also now dead, but he at least retired first.

    Ob cycling: After getting back from my 25km morning spin, I switch my TV to BBC7 (a radio station),
    which plays lots of funny stuff. Just finished a series of Round the Horne, written by the
    aforementioned Took and Feldmann.

    Tim

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:31:52 -0000, "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes, but if you don't have a TV, you (theoretically) don't know who Doctor Who is.

    BBC7 - assuming digital radio. You have got digital radio, haven't you? I don't know, apathetic
    bloody planet.....

    (yes, I have digital radio in my car, which is not a great deal of good since I hardly ever
    drive it).

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:30:31 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't think the News Quiz has been the same since thingy retired -- what was his name? Used to
    >scriptwrite with the guy with the eyes. God, this Alzheimers is terrible. Took. Barry Took.

    No, it's improved substantially :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:44:26 -0000, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Personally, I still mourn the passing of Week Ending.

    Oh yes indeed - a fabulous programme, incubator of some great talents. But Dead Ringers is now
    moving to TV in-jokes instead of radio ones, so less appealing since I prefer the radio (the
    pictures being that much better).

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Nick Kew responded to Tim Woodall wrote:
    >> Old Harry's Game.
    > Fun, but will wear thin if revived too much. Ditto Andy Hamilton's other one (revolting people).

    Perfect assessment.

    >> Radioactive
    > Yuk. Ghastly.

    I rather enjoy that.

    >> The News Quiz.
    > The best. Followed by Quote Unquote.

    Hey, I don't think I've ever met anyone who liked Quote Unquote. It's nearly as dull as The
    Sunday Format.

    >>> Just a Minute
    >> Not that impressed with JAM.
    > Used to be better. Past its use-by date.

    I love it, but I'm probably far too young to remember before it passed it's best before :)

    Thomas Paine

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:20:03 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Quote Unquote just doesn't do it for me. It reminds me of the dreadful My Music (not to be confused
    >with the rather good My Word)

    My Music was OK, but Quote Unquote is a strong contender for the "most self-satisfied programme not
    hosted by Robert Robinson" award.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:28:55 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I preferred him really. I know it's a matter of taste. I also don't think anyone did HIGNFY better
    >than Angus Deayton, though Lisa Tarbuck came closest.

    But Angus Deayton is but a pale imitation of the legendary Humph :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 09:35:34 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:20:03 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Quote Unquote just doesn't do it for me. It reminds me of the dreadful My Music (not to be
    >>confused with the rather good My Word)
    >
    > My Music was OK, but Quote Unquote is a strong contender for the "most self-satisfied programme
    > not hosted by Robert Robinson" award.

    Round Britain Quiz.

    Tim.

  13. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Surely as far as humour and R4 go, the first port of call has to be the legendary "antidote to
    > >panel games" [1] - accept no substitute!
    >
    > Fav Radio 4 shows -
    >
    > ISIHAC Just a Minute Dead Ringers
    >
    > In that order :)

    Oh well if we are voting for Radio 4 comedy shows can I nominate

    The Mark Steel Lectures and Prentice McCabe

    Not sure how I'd place them in relation to good episides of ISIHAC, JAM, DR, or The News Quiz but
    they made me laugh.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  14. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 00:09:56 +0000, Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    > "Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Personally, I still mourn the passing of Week Ending.
    >
    > Hear, Hear!
    >
    > On the subject of older radio progs .. I still have fond memories of My Word - and its lesser
    > cousin My Music, with the Grand Old Men of my teenage years Muir and Norden.

    Any questions used to be fairly good until they started the obligatory 4 politicians craze. And Any
    answers used to be reasoned until they went to the sound bite phone in. Dumbing down rules :-(

    Tim

  15. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    The Big Baguette wrote:
    > I preferred him really. I know it's a matter of taste. I also don't think anyone did HIGNFY better
    > than Angus Deayton, though Lisa Tarbuck came closest.

    I really didn't think anyone could present the show as well as Angus, but IMHO John Sargent
    was better.

    Thomas Paine

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 18:13:00 +0000, [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote:

    >sunday format

    Was amusing for one series, but the joke wore thin,

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 12:48:57 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Round Britain Quiz.

    I recently worked out the scoring format for that - if you get the answer right you get six points.
    If they have to tell you the answer it's five points. And if they have to explain why it's the
    answer, four points.

    No longer a ten on the Robinson Scale, but still stunningly soporific.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 10:22:28 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, of course -- but Humph has had decades to perfect the act.

    Nah - he was perfect from Day 1. Just the right air of "I'm an internationally respected jazz
    musician, why the hell am I doing this?"

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 06:52:32 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I remember buying Bad Penny Blues when it first came out. There was always something about the man
    >-- a case of you can take the boy out of Eton but you can't take Eton out of the boy, perhaps. Or
    >maybe it was Harrow.

    Not sure - I have met Humph a couple of times, he's a fellow Volvo driver and not averse to a
    tipple :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  20. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 20:47 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), [email protected] (Glenn) wrote:

    >Dead ringers is a pile of wank.

    Stop hedging and tell us what you really think.

    And Dead Ringers series 1 was not wank, it was as manna from Heavan for old-time Radio 4 fans.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.