Bored of Commuting

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. I am SOOOO bored of commuting from the outskirts of North Birmingham to the city centre. 5 miles
    of A road.

    The canal goes too far out of the way (especially at 0630) and IIRC is not terribly suitable for
    cycling alongside. The other option is to take a half mile detour through a park reknowned for
    muggings, or to cycle past the cemetry through yet another area in which I wouldn't feel safe.

    I think I need to find a new job!

    Love and hugs from Rich x'
    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
    like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal

    Tags:

  2. John Mallard

    John Mallard Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:
    > I am SOOOO bored of commuting from the outskirts of North Birmingham to the city centre. 5 miles
    > of A road.

    Bad luck Richard, I think the problem is the early hour. Urban roads can be rather boring if there's
    nothing going on to keep you ammused and interested. I really enjoy my commute from south
    Birmingham. It's at the absolute height of the "Rush Hour(?)". I enjoy the "cut and trust", the
    skills I need to use to controll the other traffic around me, my ability to be less stupid than
    other traffic whilst always computing what to do if and when their stupidity threatens to affect me.

    I only travel into the city centre now, but for years I used to pass right through and go on to
    Handsworth. The last bit from the city out along the Soho Road was always boring. This was the bit
    where I was travelling in the oppersite direction to the "Rush Hour(?)".

    > I think I need to find a new job!

    That would be a shame. I've got a lot of respect for you people.

    --
    Cheerful Peddling John Mallard

  3. > I am SOOOO bored of commuting from the outskirts of North Birmingham to the city centre. 5 miles
    > of A road.

    You could try racing yourself - whack a speedo on the bike and see how quick you can go! Has the
    added advantage of making the ride go quicker as well.

    ---

  4. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:21:35 -0000, in
    <[email protected]>, "John Mallard"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I think I need to find a new job!
    >
    >That would be a shame. I've got a lot of respect for you people.

    I meant same job but different location. Good Hope would be good as I could go through Sutton Park.

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
    like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal
    and binding contract.

  5. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>
    > > I am SOOOO bored of commuting from the outskirts of North Birmingham to the city centre. 5 miles
    > > of A road.
    >
    > You could try racing yourself - whack a speedo on the bike and see how
    quick you
    > can go! Has the added advantage of making the ride go quicker as well.

    Yeah .. and see how many miles you can do in an evening :)

    Summer is coming ... :)

  6. Davep

    Davep Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:

    > I am SOOOO bored of commuting from the outskirts of North Birmingham to the city centre. 5 miles
    > of A road.
    >
    > The canal goes too far out of the way (especially at 0630) and IIRC is not terribly suitable for
    > cycling alongside. The other option is to take a half mile detour through a park reknowned for
    > muggings, or to cycle past the cemetry through yet another area in which I wouldn't feel safe.
    >
    > I think I need to find a new job!
    >
    > Love and hugs from Rich x'
    > --
    > DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
    > like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a
    > legal and binding contract.

    sounds like you definitely need to find another route. So what if you need to extend it by another 5
    miles, just plan something that takes in some different sights, sounds and smells so each part of
    the journey is different. I was the same up until about 2 years ago. Now I'm off most of the busy
    roads and half my return journey is not along the same route as the mornings commute.

    davep

  7. "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > I am SOOOO bored of commuting from the outskirts of North Birmingham to the city centre. 5 miles
    > of A road.

    Try cycling it without changing gears, with only one foot, on a fixed gear, or buy a unicycle.

  8. Pete Barrett

    Pete Barrett Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:15:44 +0000, Richard Bates
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am SOOOO bored of commuting from the outskirts of North Birmingham to the city centre. 5 miles
    >of A road.
    >
    >The canal goes too far out of the way (especially at 0630) and IIRC is not terribly suitable for
    >cycling alongside.

    Which canal? I've cycled along all the canals going north from Brum in the past year, and I've found
    most of them rather good for cycling (when the towpath isn't closed for repair).

    >The other option is to take a half mile detour through a park reknowned for muggings, or to cycle
    >past the cemetry through yet another area in which I wouldn't feel safe.
    >
    >I think I need to find a new job!

    You could always move house!

    Pete Barrett

  9. Pete Barrett

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am SOOOO bored of commuting from the outskirts of North Birmingham to the city centre. 5 miles
    >of A road.
    >
    >The canal goes too far out of the way (especially at 0630) and IIRC is not terribly suitable for
    >cycling alongside.

    Which canal? I've cycled along all the canals going north from Brum in the past year, and I've found
    most of them rather good for cycling (when the towpath isn't closed for repair).

    >The other option is to take a half mile detour through a park reknowned for muggings, or to cycle
    >past the cemetry through yet another area in which I wouldn't feel safe.
    >
    >I think I need to find a new job!

    You could always move house!

    Pete Barrett

  10. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:30:49 -0500, "Michael Tordoff"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Try cycling it without changing gears, with only one foot, on a fixed gear, or buy a unicycle.

    First time commute on a uni, phoning in on the mobile: "Hello, I'm on my way, I may be about 9 hours
    late." :)

    Serious mode: varying the route is the key even if it does add a few miles.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

  11. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :)I am SOOOO bored of commuting from the outskirts of North Birmingham )to the city centre. 5 miles
    :eek:f A road.

    Not enough traffic on the road to entertain you ? Try cycling to Meriden along the A45 ! Did that
    yesterday.

    :) )The canal goes too far out of the way (especially at 0630) and IIRC is )not terribly suitable
    :for cycling alongside. The other option is to )take a half mile detour through a park reknowned for
    :muggings,

    Sutton ?

    :)-- )DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which )appears in my inbox is mine to do
    :what I like with. )Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) )may, if I so desire,
    :form a legal and binding contract.

    Hmmm ! I totally agree - and it doesn't half irritate people when you make use of something someone
    else said !

    --
    Comm again, Mike.