boring holes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Neil Smith, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. Neil Smith

    Neil Smith Guest

    Dear All,
    the bike shop is recommending enlarging the hole holding the front brake
    in the front fork. Is this a good idea or will this weaken the fork.
    Thanks
    Neil

    Tags:

  2. Neil Smith wrote:

    > Dear All,
    > the bike shop is recommending enlarging the hole holding the front brake
    > in the front fork. Is this a good idea or will this weaken the fork.

    Partly depends on the construction of the fork, I guess. I had to do
    this with my training frame - in order to fit the front caliper bolt -
    which has a bog-standard Cr-Mo steel fork; Dad & I managed it courtesy
    of a few secs' work with an ageing Black & Decker! Fork is still fine
    almost a year on despite frequent use for riding to work.

    David Belcher

  3. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Neil Smith wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > the bike shop is recommending enlarging the hole holding the front brake
    > in the front fork. Is this a good idea or will this weaken the fork.
    > Thanks
    > Neil

    Dunno if its a good idea or not, depends what problem you are trying to
    solve. It certainly will weaken the fork crown but probably not by any
    significant amount, depends how much surrounding metal you leave and
    how good the forks are. I enlarged mine to fit allen key fitting brakes
    in place of nut fitting ones. This was a few years ago and I have
    experienced no problems since.

  4. Neil Smith wrote:

    > Dear All,
    > the bike shop is recommending enlarging the hole holding the front brake
    > in the front fork. Is this a good idea or will this weaken the fork.

    If this is just to go from a nutted brake to an allen key brake, it's
    done all the time. I wouldn't do it on a fork with a carbon crown, but
    I don't think these existed in the days of nutted brakes.

    To reassure you, only the back is drilled out - the front is left at
    6mm. The fork crown is hollow inside, so we're only talking about
    enlarging a hole by 2mm for a small depth.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Neil Smith wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > the bike shop is recommending enlarging the hole holding the
    > front brake in the front fork. Is this a good idea or will this
    > weaken the fork.

    Details and alternatives:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ra-e.html#recessed

    BTW, SB's Glossary has had a few pictures added recently, making it more
    useful than ever, and far more than just a glossary, really, with all its
    tables and things.

    ~PB

  6. Sue White

    Sue White Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
    >I work in a disused opencast mine next to a dual carriageway that's
    >been converted into warehouse space. Is that a boring enough hole?

    That's a good, environmentally-sound use for a dual carriageway, even
    though it's not very exciting.

    We in Reading are seeking suggestions for the town's Inner Distribution
    Road, part of which is a double-decker dual carriageway: the Council
    want to turn it into a one-way system but voters are unenthusiastic.

    --
    Sue ];:))

    Bicycle helmets are really a bit of a scam.
    They make most cyclists slightly less safe but there's money in selling them.

  7. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Sue White wrote:
    > Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
    > >I work in a disused opencast mine next to a dual carriageway that's
    > >been converted into warehouse space. Is that a boring enough hole?
    > >

    > That's a good, environmentally-sound use for a dual carriageway, even
    > though it's not very exciting.
    >
    > We in Reading are seeking suggestions for the town's Inner Distribution
    > Road, part of which is a double-decker dual carriageway: the Council
    > want to turn it into a one-way system but voters are unenthusiastic.

    Ah the Reading IDR. When I was a student in Reading it was the Ski
    Jump, I hear they completed that part since. Perahps convert it back to
    a ski jump and put a bid in for the Winter Olympics.