Boston-- Less Than a Week to Go!

George Grattan

Guest
Just want to offer a hearty "Good Luck" and "Have Fun" to all those who will be running Boston next
Monday for the 107th. I'll be out there myself, so here's hoping for days of good food, good rest,
and good hydration leading up to it and good weather and negative splits (for those who do such
things) the day of. We *know* the crowds will be great, the Newton hills won't live up to their
hype, and that the Citgo sign will beckon us "home".

Nervous energy? Who, me? :)

(But on that note: anyone know how many "official" pit stops are placed along the course? My
training runs have made it clear that the woods to the side of the road thin out considerably past
Wellesley..... :) )

Anyway-- it's been a long, long winter folks. Time for the good payback.

--
Shalom, Peace, Salaam

George Grattan

>Just want to offer a hearty "Good Luck" and "Have Fun" to all those who will be running Boston next
>Monday for the 107th.

Everyone be sure to stop by and say "Hi" to me.

Bill R.

=============> - -- - (_!_)
OO

Good luck George. I've read some or your weekly training posts. You've had injury gremlins I know
but here's wishing you good luck. Looking forward to a report. Doug Burke

George Grattan wrote:

> Just want to offer a hearty "Good Luck" and "Have Fun" to all those who will be running Boston
> next Monday for the 107th. I'll be out there myself, so here's hoping for days of good food, good
> rest, and good hydration leading up to it and good weather and negative splits (for those who do
> such things) the day of. We *know* the crowds will be great, the Newton hills won't live up to
> their hype, and that the Citgo sign will beckon us "home".
>
> Nervous energy? Who, me? :)
>
> (But on that note: anyone know how many "official" pit stops are placed along the course? My
> training runs have made it clear that the woods to the side of the road thin out considerably past
> Wellesley..... :) )
>
> Anyway-- it's been a long, long winter folks. Time for the good payback.
>
> --
> Shalom, Peace, Salaam
>
> George Grattan

>Subject: Boston-- Less Than a Week to Go! From: George Grattan [email protected] Date: Tue, Apr 15,
>2003 2:08 PM Message-id: <BAC1ED2A.16C6C%[email protected]>
>
>Just want to offer a hearty "Good Luck" and "Have Fun" to all those who will be running Boston next
>Monday for the 107th. I'll be out there myself, so here's hoping for days of good food, good rest,
>and good hydration leading up to it and good weather and negative splits (for those who do such
>things) the day of. We *know* the crowds will be great, the Newton hills won't live up to their
>hype, and that the Citgo sign will beckon us "home".
>
>Nervous energy? Who, me? :)
>
>(But on that note: anyone know how many "official" pit stops are placed along the course? My
>training runs have made it clear that the woods to the side of the road thin out considerably past
>Wellesley..... :) )
>
>Anyway-- it's been a long, long winter folks. Time for the good payback.
>
>--
>Shalom, Peace, Salaam
>
>George Grattan

The Weather Channel predicts rain on Patriots Day, with temperatures of
56/46F. If the rain is only occasional, these might be ideal conditions. Too much rain and the
crowds will thin out. Any personal predictions for race day weather?

Based on my single Boston appearance, I wouldn't worry too much about potty stops. I
remember seeing runners using just about any available place. Now I know why so many people
put up police tape in their front yards.

Robert Walter, CA

on 4/15/03 7:04 PM, Doug Burke at [email protected] wrote:

> Good luck George. I've read some or your weekly training posts. You've had injury gremlins I know
> but here's wishing you good luck. Looking forward to a report. Doug Burke

Thanks Doug-- the ITB demons appear to have been kept at bay for the last few weeks, but there was a
long period there when I had my doubts about making it through the training period. (Thanks to all
here for the helpful advice on dealing with those.)

In fact, there's a part of me that thinks I've been "holding back" a bit in fear of re-triggering
that telltale stabbing pain in the knee before race day. Now, I'm thinking that I can "leave it all
out on the course," or at least in the last six to eight miles.

Hope to able to post a report next week, yes---(though a friend has already booked me for a one-hour
massage on Tuesday morning, so it won't be right away! Woo-hoo!)

--
Shalom, Peace, Salaam

George Grattan

on 4/15/03 9:30 PM, RWalter2 at [email protected] wrote:

> The Weather Channel predicts rain on Patriots Day, with temperatures of
> 56/46F. If the rain is only occasional, these might be ideal conditions. Too much rain and the
> crowds will thin out.

Yeah, I saw that today too, and it might be perfect if the rain isn't too heavy, as you say.

> Any personal predictions for race day weather?

If the irony gods are in charge, it'll be 85F, 90% humidity, and sunny-- the exact opposite of the
conditions we've all been training in up here all winter. Went for a short run here today in
beautiful, breezy, 80F sunshine, and "heard" my body saying: "What the hell is this? We don't do
this! This feels hot! Stop, stop! Where's the wet cold stuff?" :)

But I'm thinking the folks at the WC are probably better informed than I.

> Based on my single Boston appearance, I wouldn't worry too much about potty stops. I remember
> seeing runners using just about any available place. Now I know why so many people put up police
> tape in their front yards.

Indeed. Of course, pull this near BC and you'll end up in a keg party you'll never leave....

--
Shalom, Peace, Salaam

George Grattan

George,

I'm going to start on Friday here from Munich, Germany. After last years great and really emotional
run (PB 2:58), I'm looking forward to running Boston again.

Nervous? Not me! Really Nervous? - sure ;-)

Good luck in the race. See you at the finish line ;-)

Bye Herbert

"George Grattan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyway-- it's been a long, long winter folks. Time for the good payback.

Here's to a great payback for you, George. You sure do deserve it! I'm keeping my fingers crossed -
and looking forward to the report :)

nina