Boston Marathon / Cancer Support

Hello,

My mother has been a surivior of cancer for close to 20 years.
My wife and I have decided that it was time for us to repay
the gift that modern medicine has given us, many more years
with dad.

Wendy and I have both been picked to be on the Dana-Farber
Marathon Callenge Team. We will be running our first marathon,
the Boston Marathon, in order to raise money for cancer research.

We need your support. Our goal is to raise $13,000 between the
two of us. We run on April 18th, 2005 and we are well into our taining
(14 miles on Saturday)!

Please visit our website and all of the links. Please make a donation
and help us in fighting cancer.

http://users.rcn.com/gregoc/

100% of the money raised goes straight to cancer research!
Thank you,

Greg O'Connor

Greg,

This is now the third post you have made to rec.running in the past
month to solicit donations for your "Team-In-Training"-style project to
complete a marathon.

If you are sincere that 100% of these donations go to the charity (in
other words, none are skimmed off the top to pay for your plane ticket,
hotel accommodations, race entry fee, administrative salaries, etc.) --
if all of this is true, then I sincerely wish you the best of luck.
I'm conflicted on the idea of non-runners getting a free pass into
Boston, but will set that aside for now.

But, I do have a problem with repeated postings to rec.running to
promote your cause. I'm not aware of an official newsgroup charter,
but I think the newsgroup readers can agree that this opens a door that
is not beneficial to the group. If every one of the tens of thousands
of charity marathon runners posts several messages to rec.running every
month, this would spam the group into oblivion.

I also have a parent who is a cancer survivor, so I think I understand
your good intentions. However, I hope you will re-think your use of
this newsgroup.

-Tom

[email protected] wrote:

> Greg,

(snip)
> I also have a parent who is a cancer survivor, so I think I understand
> your good intentions. However, I hope you will re-think your use of
> this newsgroup.
>
> -Tom

I'm also a cancer survivor, and ~9 months after my prostate removal, I
qualified for the Boston Marathon with a 3:54 at Columbus.

My father was a cancer survivor for ~20 years until a heart-attack did him
in. I hope he's proud of me for working hard and accomplishing my goal. I
also hope to serve as an example that one can lead a full life after
personal misfortune.

In gratitude for the excellent treatment both he and I have received, I have
been giving more to charity than I have before, and it feels good. 'Tis
more blessed to give than receive.

I plan to salute Johnny Kelly's statue, which is close to where my dad and
the rest of the family watched him race in the '50s.

--
Wake

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But, I do have a problem with repeated postings to rec.running to
> promote your cause. I'm not aware of an official newsgroup charter,

It is "related" to running but once is enough. Actually I'd like to see
none. I think we would agree that the majority of money we pay to run
races goes to some charity. As a body of people we are very supportive.

> but I think the newsgroup readers can agree that this opens a door
> that
> is not beneficial to the group. If every one of the tens of thousands
> of charity marathon runners posts several messages to rec.running
> every
> month, this would spam the group into oblivion.

There are probably hundreds of valid charities and the last thing I
would want to see is this forum becoming a haven for begging. Your best
tact would be to participate in the forum and add a comment and/or web
page to your sig file. But outward groveling. nah!

> I also have a parent who is a cancer survivor, so I think I understand
> your good intentions. However, I hope you will re-think your use of
> this newsgroup.

Nicely said!!!

-Doug

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Hello,
:
:
[...]
Anyone else happen to notice that one post it's "my mother" and on another
it's "my father"?

Yeah, I appreciate the try, really. But I don't like getting scammed,
"Greg."