Bottom Bracket advice

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by PeterF, Apr 17, 2006.

1. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I've heard different advice on the proper installation of bottom brackets. I have a steel frame and currently my bb is installed by applying grease to the threads. I have a new BB coming in the next few day's and I plan on switching my old one to another bike. Before I install the new one, I wanted to see what you all thought. I have heard suggestions for Loc-tite as well as grease and teflon plumbers tape. The grease seems to work fine, but should I remove the bb and reapply the grease on say an annual basis? Thoughts please...
    Thanks.
    Pete

Tags:

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

My opinion is that grease is enough, and that an annual reapplication isn't necessary.

3. gregcasa

gregcasa New Member

My understanding is the purpose of the grease is so you can tighten the BB with ease :). This will also prevent binding of the threads, so the grease just helps with the assembly.
    Good Luck!

4. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

If grease worked for you then stick with it. Only if you encounter problems when you switch frames should you explore the other options. I've used loctite coz grease was inadequate for the creaking issues - Ti Real cartridge isis BB on a CF Giant TCR (al BB race). I also think that a proper preparation of the BB race should be done before installation - your LBS should be able to do this for you.