Bottom bracket bearing

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Owen, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Owen

    Owen Guest

    My bottom bracket (splined and looks like a sealed unit) didn't make the 10,000K mark, so I need
    a new one.

    I suppose bottom brackets are more or less the same, there can't be to many manufacturers, or are
    there some better than others?

    TIA

    --
    Owen

    Tags:

  2. John Dwyer

    John Dwyer Guest

    "Owen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > My bottom bracket (splined and looks like a sealed unit) didn't make the 10,000K mark, so I need a
    > new one.
    >
    > I suppose bottom brackets are more or less the same, there can't be to many manufacturers, or are
    > there some better than others?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Owen

    The bottom bracket on my Shogun Hybrid wore out in less than 7000 Km. The direct replacement cost
    $30. My local bike shop replaced it with a $50 unit and charged $20 for fitting. I have ridden
    for 13,000Km with no obvious signs of wear. I recommend that you speak to your local bike shop
    for advice.

    John Dwyer.

  3. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Owen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > My bottom bracket (splined and looks like a sealed unit) didn't make
    the
    > 10,000K mark, so I need a new one.
    >
    > I suppose bottom brackets are more or less the same, there can't be to many manufacturers, or are
    > there some better than others?

    My square taper Acera cheap thang lasted from 2000-2003 with MANY k's on it. Regular commuting,
    mtb'ing, tri's and longer weekend rides. It was getting crusty mid-2003 but I was running it into
    the ground and used it until a month ago when it was replaced with DeoreLX gear. I use the mtb a lot
    less now so this setup should last ages. Anyway, I recommend Shimano sealed BB's. Common and they
    work. If it's for a road bike, I think 9spd DuraAce are NOT sealed so I would stick with Ultegra
    even with the small weight penalty (or lower spec, depends on the bike).

    hippy

  4. John Retchford

    John Retchford New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2004
    Splined and sealed bottom brackets are not all the same. Shimano make several patterns and several manufacturers make them to the ISIS design. Cranks made for one design will fit no other and only with the ISIS design can you choose from more than one manufacturer. You need to take your cranks and the bottom bracket to your LBS to get a match unless you know the exact specification.

    10,000 kilometres is poor service from a bottom bracket. This would be only about a year for a reasonably active cyclist.

    John Retchford

  5. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    As John said above, you need the correct type ie, ISIS or Shimano Octalink?
    ISIS bottom brackets are notorious for failing early. My Truvativ BB lasted 9 months. Although it was 9 months of hard off road riding. By comparison a 1989 Shimamo XT BB is still running fine in my commuter bike.

  6. Marc_9

    Marc_9 Guest

    Your're lucky. The bottom bracket to my Apollo LSR 1.0 gave way (only slightly though) from about
    1,600kms. Hopefully the replacements will last longer. Cheap $400 bike, so can't complain so far.

    Owen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My bottom bracket (splined and looks like a sealed unit) didn't make the 10,000K mark, so I need a
    > new one.
    >
    > I suppose bottom brackets are more or less the same, there can't be to many manufacturers, or are
    > there some better than others?
    >
    > TIA

  7. "Owen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I suppose bottom brackets are more or less the same, there can't be to many manufacturers, or are
    > there some better than others?

    My LBS Suggested that it is common practice to install low quality BB's in new bikes because the
    buyer cannot tell the difference. If this is true you may find that a LX equipped bike doesn't have
    an LX quality BB and may result in this being the first component to require replacement.

    Jeff Westwood

  8. Owen

    Owen Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:16:17 +1000, Jeff Westwood wrote:

    > My LBS Suggested that it is common practice to install low quality BB's in new bikes because the
    > buyer cannot tell the difference. If this is true you may find that a LX equipped bike doesn't
    > have an LX quality BB and may result in this being the first component to require replacement.

    I suspect that applied in my case. In the end

    The bottom bracket wasn't a sealed unit, I was able to pull it apart One ball race had been chewed
    up, the other about to go. All this after 13 months/10,000k

    This now raises a maintenance issue for me. The bike was new Jan 03. Starting Nov, I had to regrease
    the front wheel, it had become caked. Next I had to do the pedals, they were in the same state. Had
    to replace a spoke on the back wheel, so I redid the bearings in that, looked like they were about
    seize up, and now the bottom crank.

    Looks like I had better plan on regreasing everything every 6months/5000K which seems to be an
    awfully short time. Maybe should check the headset now.

    --
    Owen

  9. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    John Retchford <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Owen wrote:
    > > My bottom bracket (splined and looks like a sealed unit) didn't make the 10,000K mark, so I
    > > need a new one. I suppose bottom brackets are more or less the same, there can't be to many
    > > manufacturers, or are there some better than others?

    <SNIP>

    > 10,000 kilometres is poor service from a bottom bracket. This would be only about a year for a
    > reasonably active cyclist.

    > John Retchford

    > --

    The BB in my road bike has been there for 20,000km and is still going strong.

    --
    Nick

  10. ArtWork

    ArtWork Guest

    Just put in a Shimano one and forget about it for the rest of the life of the bike.

    --

    "Owen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:16:17 +1000, Jeff Westwood wrote:
    >
    > > My LBS Suggested that it is common practice to install low quality BB's
    in
    > > new bikes because the buyer cannot tell the difference. If this is true you may find that a LX
    > > equipped bike doesn't have an LX quality BB and
    may
    > > result in this being the first component to require replacement.
    >

    > I suspect that applied in my case. In the end
    >
    > The bottom bracket wasn't a sealed unit, I was able to pull it apart One ball race had been
    > chewed up, the other about to go. All this after 13 months/10,000k
    >
    > This now raises a maintenance issue for me. The bike was new Jan 03. Starting Nov, I had to
    > regrease the front wheel, it had become caked. Next I had to do the pedals, they were in the same
    > state. Had to replace a spoke on the back wheel, so I redid the bearings in that, looked like they
    > were about seize up, and now the bottom crank.
    >
    > Looks like I had better plan on regreasing everything every 6months/5000K which seems to be an
    > awfully short time. Maybe should check the headset now.
    >

    > --
    > Owen

  11. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Owen:

    I am quoting this from what I read on "roadbikereview" before. It seems the Ultegra BB is the pick of the bunch for roadies. Some claim that they have replaced their OEM Dura-ace BB with it and are happier.

    I have 105 BB on my roadies (very good so far, but done only 2500 km on the older), and will replace them with Ultegra when the time comes.

    Cheers,
    Amir.