bottom bracket bearings

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by uphill headwind, Jun 27, 2013.

1. uphill headwind

uphill headwind New Member

new here. howdo?! i got a question about campy bottom bracket bearings. anyone know if you can use ultra torque bearings on square taper bb? Also, what do you call square taper bb? are they really called square taper? just trying to find bearings for them and am having trouble finding them. thanks.

Tags:

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

" i got a question about campy bottom bracket bearings. anyone know if you can use ultra torque bearings on square taper bb?"

No.

"Also, what do you call square taper bb?"

Campy had square taper spindles with loose ball style threaded cup BB's for decades. After that, their square taper adopted a sealed bearing 'cartridge' style system. The PowerTorque/UltraTorque system utilizes external threaded cups or internal press fit cups depending on the BB system the frame is designed around.

"are they really called square taper?"

Square taper refers to the spindle's interface with the crank arms. The term is used to designate both the axle type and the BB style in some cases. The Campy model and year of manufacture/era is what you need to know in order to get the correct replacement parts.

"just trying to find bearings for them and am having trouble finding them. thanks."

Try the English online bike dealers...Wiggle, Chain Reaction, ProBikeKit, etc. or the USA dealers such as Jenson, The Yellow Jersey or Branford Bike. Some of them have a line on NOS Campy parts. Also, try Ochsner, the USA importer of Campy components. They have supplied me with parts when dealers have failed me. http://www.ochsnerusa.com/

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

The bearings on ALL Campagnolo BBs can be serviced OR replaced ...

• accessing the bearings -- loose/caged or in a cartridge -- is the key
    • THAT involves removing the crank from the BB
    • AND THEN, the BB from the bike's frame

Post a picture of the crankset in question if you want more information ...

BTW. The inner diameter of Ultra Torque bearings is much larger than the spindle diameter of a square taper BB spindle ...

• if you can picture a square rod whose end is chamfered, then that is what the end of a square taper BB spindle looks like

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Wheels Manufacturing (wheelsmfg.com) has high quality cartridge bearings for most bicycle applications. You can order directly from them or order through any bike shop that has a QBP account.